Percussion for Butlins

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by cherrybassett, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Does anyone know what percussion is being provided for 1st section at Butlins. I cant find my list.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

According to my list:

32". 29", 26" Adams Copper Pedal Timp. & Chair
    Adams "Artist" Vibe.
    36" Adams Bass Drum on tilting stand
    DW Snare Drum on tall stand
    Grover Triangle on stand
    2 x 18" Ziljian Suspended Cymbals
    2 x Traps Trays

I'm a little bemused by the 32" timp; I'm no percussion expert, but I'm fairly certain that perc parts for "Plantagenets" don't require anything that big ...

My only other concern on the day would be the Vibraphone; last time we went to a contest where vibes had been provided for a set piece, we turned up on stage to find that a) the motor hadn't been plugged in, b) the power cable wouldn't reach the power point, c) when an extension cable was finally located, we discovered that the power points on stage weren't "live" for some reason. All this, only be be castigated by an aggrieved contest controller who said that we were "the only band who'd actually asked for it to be switched on anyway"

Brass bands, eh? don't you just love 'em ...
  3. jim

jim Member

Ray Payne normalley provides the percussion you wont have any problems if hes there.
  4. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Correct James, Ray is providing. GJG, i think you should look again at your Timp part. Isn't there a low F?
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed there is; but 32"? Isn't that something of an "overkill"? I always thought the 32" was used for pieces that required low Eb's or D's? I'm happy to be corrected, of course ... as I said I'm not a percussion expert.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Post-Edit: According to "Wikipedia" low 'F can be comfortably executed on a 29" drum.
  7. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

The low F mentioned, will sit nicely in the mid-range of the "32" timp and give you a fuller sound than using the extreme range of a smaller timp. An F on a "29" tends to sound a bit flabby, although this can depend on the timps.

If Ray Payne is providing the kit, it'll all be top notch and suit the parts perfectly!

Good luck and enjoy the contest!
  8. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Thanks for the help guys. We just need to sort out whose playing the vibraphone part now. Any volunteers??
  9. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

The Vibes are actually only 3 chords. Nice easy one this and thanks for the 2nd on the timp situation.