Percussion Features

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by topeuph, Apr 13, 2007.

1. topeuph

topeuph Member

I'm conducting a County Youth Brass Band in September and I'm formulating my programme. The band has an excellent percussion section (there is absolutely nothing they can't play) and I'd like to show them off. I'm struggling to think of any at the moment so if any of you know of a piece or pieces, I would be most grateful .
    Thank you.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

African Waltz...?
    ... and the Band Played On...?
  3. topeuph

topeuph Member

I'm looking for pieces that are true percussion features, and not just band pieces with nice percussion parts in them, so that probably rules out "And the Band Plays On". I've not heard "African Waltz" before, is it a percussion feature? If so, has anyone recorded it?
  4. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

erm... have you tried helter skelter, glock feature! and also windows of the world! thats got loads of percussion in it, with a break in the last movement which is a percussion solo if im not mistaken? im sure hells_bones will correct me if im wrong!
  5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Clock With The Dresden Figures
    Old Man River

TIMBONE Active Member

7. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

How about Hootenanny - that opening bar gets 'em every time!!!
  8. topeuph

topeuph Member

Thanks, it sounds like a cracker, I'll shall add it to the programme.

Oh yes, thank you Prince Turdham, I shall consider it very very carefully.
  9. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Rusky percussky is a good one for the whole team, tea for two is another strike up the bands a good'en as well

ROBTHEDOG Member

WOW I just bought the Eikanger Bjorsvik - Snell 20 Supreme Years -- Brings back so many brilliant transcriptions.. The Clock'... is just STUNNING.. just ordered it..
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'd vote for this ;)
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If he means the Derek Broadbent arrangement, then it's on an Obrasso CD - That's Entertainment - that was recorded by Besses with Derek at the helm.

I'd class it as a band piece with people hitting things, though, although there's an opportunity to do a bit extra in the middle.
  13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

can we have suggestions from percussionist please, some of our blessed friends on brass haven't quite grasped "percussion feature"!
  14. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

You tell em Gaz!
  15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What about Peter Graham's 'Cartoon Music'?
  16. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

i like rusky percusky! good percussion piece. But, windows of the world is very challenging for percussion with some extremely good effects!
  17. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

What ever piece you pick for gods sake give the poor old shed builders a bit of recognition when you perform the piece. Make sure they get tre ated in the same way you would treat your solo Euphonium at a concert after he or she has played a solo. The vast majority of MDs I have worked for never bother to do this. Also, when rehearsing the piece, ask the percussion players if they are happy with the tempo you are using and ask their views on other aspects of the piece.

This has NEVER EVER happened to me in 30 odd years of banding. Conductors never consult with me when I have a featured piece to play, why? Its a very different story when ANY other instrument has a solo.
  18. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Well said that man
  19. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

theres 2 videos on youtube of percussion features at the band i used to play with. when i get home i will add the links. its windows of the world last movement and helter skelter. hes amazin!
  20. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

agreed, very valid point! i have done a few drum features in my time and never has the time been taken to ask the percussion section about tempos and other aspects of the piece. hopefully people will learn in the future. i very much hope so!