Percussion Equipment

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MRSH, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hi People

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the London and South East area for percussion equipment.

I'm after odds and sods really - trap trays, an array of stands ( triangle, tambourine, cymbal, glock), double headed sticks, miscellaneous brackets, triangle beaters. I would also like a set of temple blocks.

I might even go to the odd suspended cymbal or two so can anyone recommend a make? Which is best - Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian? Any others?

You get the picture - any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. jo

jo Member

Impact perc ussion and Footes (footes have a web site, not sure about impact but last time I was there they were on kentish town road) are both really good, footes moreso for the bits and for cymbals, zildjian are generally very good but i would advocate the "bashing them all and picking the one with the sound you like" approach as some "cheap" makes have excellent sounds and some of the more expensive ones can be pants! enjoy your shopping!
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hi Jo

Thanks for that.

I have been on the Footes website but they haven't got pictures of everything that I want and I was going to order over the net. I suppose I could suck it and see. I don't really have the opportunity to go up there and I need the stuff in a couple of weeks.

Impact Percussion are actually in Dulwich and don't have a website although it does say it's under construction.

Does anyone know what's happened to ProPerc. Their website doesn't seem to be working - are they still around?

4. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

In London check out Bell Percussion in Acton -

A good website and reference point.

My advice on purchasing the odds and sods of percussion is to not go too cheap! You want gear which will last and create a quality sound. I use Grover gear for these bits. There is a company called 'Black Swamp' also coming into this side of things - maybe worth ckecking!

Cymbal wise - that's your call! I swear by Sabian - other go with Paiste / Zildjian. It dependes on your main use. If for a band / orchestra, look for a 17" / 18" thin crash. These will speak quicker at the lower dynamics. If for a kit, youmay find the bigger crash too much!

Trap Stands - to save cash, have a go at making your own! I did about 5 years ago, and they're still going strong! Same to be said for hard tops for timps!

My next bit of advice is: Once you've decided on the gear you want, go to the States and get it! It's half the price. Here's a good place to start:

Hope that helps.
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Excellent information Aidan, thanks very much :tup
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Can't beat Footes in Golden Square, London to my mind. I buy all my stuff there. They aren't cheap, but you pay for quality!

If you know anybody going to the States, then ask them to bring stuff back for you - it is often half price over there! I've had some bargains that way!

7. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

You could always try Hobgoblin Music in London. They'd do some bog-standard stuff.