Percussion Equipment - London

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Mar 26, 2004.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Does anyone know where we can get hold of a set of Tubular Bells (buy or hire) in the London or South East area.

Normans have some for sale but getting them could be interesting.

Of course if anyone has a set of second hand ones going..... :D
  2. jo

jo Member

When I was looking for a single bell to replace one that went walkabout from our set I tried Impact and Footes (in London). Both sell tubular bells and one of them (think it was Impact) also recommended going direct to Premier (if it is premier bells you are after) who I think are also based in London. Some time ago we hired percussion, including bells, from Boosey and Hawkes (along Maida Vale somewhere) for NYBB, but that is going back 12 years!

anyway, good luck in your search!
  3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Thanks Jo, just seen the prices.... ouch.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Last time I was in London I looked around Pro Percussion in Kentish Town (North London). Plenty of stuff there.
  5. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Have you tried JAM Percussion in Liverpool? They are the sole importers of ADAMS percussion, and the ADAMS tublar bells are great (and very reasonably priced). They can also deliver to anywhere in the country. In my opinion by far the best option for you to take (we have a set at YBS - superb).

contact details:

JaM Percussion Ltd
    Queens Dock Business Centre
    Jordan Street
    L1 0BG
    Telephone: 0044 (0) 151 709 9709
    Fax:. 0044 (0) 151 709 7092

Best of luck,

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Do you need them for a short time (say, a couple rehearsals and a performance) or are you looking more long-term? If I were looking for a short-term set, I'd check with the local schools - they may have one you coould borrow either for free or for a small condsideration. Here in the US, almost any secondary school has an orchestra or concert band, and most of them would have a set of bells (condition might be and issue, however :? ). Ditto for things like gongs, Turkish crescents, and other exotic things in the percussion section.
  7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Had a chat with someone else who mentioned them so may give them a bell.

Sadly over here(certainly in London) you'd be hard pushed to find a school which even TEACHES music let alone has an orchestra!. Schools only seem to want to teach Recorder, Keyboard, Guitar or ethnic intruments. Prime example my old school once boasted An Orchestra, Choir, Brass Band, ensembles, etc. Now there's a "vocal group" and about 20 kids playing guitar... but thats another topic.
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Steve, have you tried asking some of the higher section bands inside the M25? Some of them must have all the kit you need and be happy to lend or hire it?

Apologies if granny knows how to suck eggs and you've slready done that!
  9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

:) granny sucked all my eggs and there was nowt in em :D
  10. fartycat

fartycat Member

I'd recommend Jam Perc as well - they're very good as are Adams bells if you want to buy.

If you're after hiring a set, try