Perantucci Tuba Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Jul 13, 2008.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Me and my mate both are playing perantucci PT 88+ mouthpieces i gt mine about 3months ago he got his last year. My perantucci says perantucci PT 88+ on it when my mates says MR tuba perantucci PT 88+. The thing is there both different cup size his is deeper than mine is there any reason why this would be?

Yes, they are both rubbish mouthpieces. no good on bb bass.don t take my word for it . just ask what Grimey and Dyke bb s play on.

Try a dennis wick 1 xl or bach 24 aw, after two weeks you will throw the perantucci in the bin.They are ****.
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I suspect you are quite right Stuart, I've had a couple of EEb Bass playing mates who have ventured into the world of expensive exotic mouthpieces.

They praise these pricey "Gob Irons" to the high heavens; but sitting next to them, I reckon they were just as good before making these expensive acquisitions.

During my 45+ years banding, some at the highest level, I've found that a DW 2L is a most excellent piece of kit.
    Great tone throughout a good 3 8v.

Just my personal observation,
    - Wilkie
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Just because "grimey and Dykes"BBb's play on a certain mouthpiece, it does'nt have to follow that they will suit one and all. They probably have'nt tried perantuccis or Zorbas sausage specials because they are happy with what they play on. Mouthpieces must be a personal thing and its a touch arrogant to dismiss out of hand a particular brand.
  6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It took me at least two years to get you to "Ditch" that neanderthal "Besson Prototype" lip shredder that you swore by.
    Didn't it have "Bass Serpent 1824" engraved on it ?
    - YBB
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I still won a British Open and 2 Yorks champs with it :wink:
  8. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

I started off using a good old DW 1 and its been hard to beat,you know my thoughts Matt but at the end of the day its personal choice i suppose,trouble is it could be very expensive to find the right one!!!!!
  9. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

I remember sitting in on a Grimey open rehearsal for last years English National with Dave Nesbit playing BB, I seem to remember he was using a Perantucci... Sounded pretty dam good...

Play on what works for you. I've never come across a rubbish mouthpiece, just some rubbish players!
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Get a Loud , I stoped using my PT 84 and replaced it with a LM 7 by LOUD

They also Have the largest Tuba MPC on n the Market the LM 3.
    They ask " are you man enough for the LM 3
  11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Only because your natural talent and musical genius overcame the handicap of the stone age "Spit cup" (and, of course, because you were sat in my nice warm seat !!)
    - Mr Wilx
    (Only jossing old boy !!)

He s not bad Wilky, your old mate Steve Butler, met him at an Imps practice last week,a gentleman, not like me a cad.:D
  13. zak

zak Member

That's blown a certain posters comment out of the water then!!!! lmao :clap:
  14. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Its all about choice

There is nothing wrong with the Tucci mouthpieces, as with everything about playing, it doesn't matter at all what other people play on or think, it's all to do with how it feels for you and being a BBb bass player about blending well with the rest of your section.

At the moment at our band one Eb plays a Tucci the other a J K Exclusive, I play a Wick 2XL (old style) and owen next to me plays on a Bach 24AW and we make a great section sound. I have to Perantucci's one that i use on Eb regulary at the conservatoire, just as much as I use my Wick on it. Then I have a bigger Tucci which i call upon when we have an AcidBrass job at band, as it has abit more power than the wick I use normally, it doesn't blend quite aswell on a BBb for my money but like everything, for me it has its uses.

Comments about what players at dyke and grimey use are irrelevant, just because it works for them doesn't mean it will work for you. Take your time to find a size that you like and then a style ie. funnel or bowl cup then look at mouthpieces from there, your needs will change as you grow as a person and a player anyway
    Tip, always beg, borrow and steal mouthpieces off friends and collegues to try them for a good few months before you even think of buying them!
  15. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

sorry didn't realise I hadn't got a sigiture, this should be better.
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Aye Stuart - He'll do !
    - Wilkie ( Member of the Cads Club)
  17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've sort of switched between a PT50+ and a bach 18 a few times now. The bach sounds nicer, but goes wooly down low (Maybe something to dow with my technique or facial structure I dunno) The PT is better down low, but sounds hard as nails in the middle.

I had a dennis wick 1xl as well - but I've always found dennis wick mouthpieces don't suit me at all. Much prefer a Bach or a PT. I had a Josef Klier somewhere too, and that sounded really nice in the middle and up top, but it didn't really suit BB as it was wooly and stuffy down low.

If I can ever find something that combines the best points of the two (A nice warm sound without wooly low notes) I'll buy it.

Maybe time to try a bach 12.... or even a 7...

Problem is, at £50 and upwards a throw, experimenting is not a cheap hobby.
  18. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Spot on Andi. Thats why I try not to follow 'trends' for different manufacturers.

Find the one that works best for your needs and stick to it. My current weapon of choice is a DW 1XL, although I also have a DW1, DW3 & DW5!
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

So as a lot of people have already said, Chunky - I guess it's whatever suits you!!

Don't know how much there is a crossover from euph playing to Tuba playing, but Morgan Griffiths did once tell me to use the biggest mouthpiece I could fill, and the smallest one that still does the job I need. Sounds like good advice to me...
  20. countessduckula

countessduckula New Member

mouthpieces, gob-irons & spit buckets

:clap:play on whatever takes your fancy.

i have acquired various gob irons through nice ittle auction sites and on the internet. The most expensive was 'Tucci - total price £17.50!!! Cheapest has been around £3.00. I regularly switch between Dennis Wick's 1&2, Bach 18, A lovely Yamaha and my 'Tucci! I do have access to several makes of Bb Bass and find that differnt mouthpieces suit different instruments. its also a handy excuse if and when I'm having a **** night, I can try & blame tuning on different mouthpiece!

Honestly, if I have to pick a favourite it would be one of my deep yamahas and the 'Tucci!

I have found that some conductors have a preference and will heavily persuade you onto their choice, but stick to your guns. If it feels comfy and helps with your required tone, play with & on it!

Have fun