Pennine Brass Festival

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by DiG that cornet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Pennine Brass Festival -listen to all the set tests prior to the Areas!

The Pennine Brass Festival is set to take place next month with bands representing all five sections, from Friendly to YBS.
    The Pennine Brass Festival is taking place on Saturday 23rd February 2008 at 6pm in Halifax Parish Church. It features performances by Friendly Band, Elland Band, Slaithwaite Band and Hebden Bridge Band, with YBS Band providing the finale.

Each band will perform their a hymn followed by set test piece; adjudication and a summary of each performance is to be provided by the experienced Malcolm Brownbill. As each of the five sections is represented, it is an opportunity to hear performances of each test piece before the regional contests in early March.
    The Festival was held for the first time in 2006 and was a great success.
    The concept for the event came about during discussions between Philip Wilby and the committee of Hebden Bridge Band, who are responsible for organising the festival.
    Admission is £3 on the door.
  2. Pennine Brass Festival - update.

Due to the untimely withdrawal of the Elland Silver Band at the Pennine Festival, Garry Hallas with the Emley Band will be representing the third section. Hebden Bridge Band would like to thank them for stepping in at such short notice and hope that the experience will be helpful in their contest preparations.:clap:
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thank you, We are all looking forward to the experience and are glad we could step in - Having been to watch previous years, i'm sure it's going to be a lot better than our "open rehearsals" in the village to 4 old dears and a couple of pigeons!!
  4. Great!
    Hope you enjoy it!

Pennine Brass Festival - the original and still the best!!!
  5. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

Did anyone go to last nights festival, if so what did you think of the standard of bands and the stardard of the playing. Did you enjoy the night, what did you think to mr brownbills remarks, :clap:

I rather liked Slaithwaite's performance of their test piece. Nice big full sound, but not overblown. Played a nice hymn tune too.
  7. Good Bass section too!!:biggrin: they sud do verry well this weekend!! also freindly band played well!!! shud be in prizes this year
  8. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

From the Huddersfield Examiner (not!):-

"On behalf of the local Emley pigeons, can I say how disappointed we are to be deprived of the annual open rehearsal. I for one will be flying down to Skelmanthorpe to listen to James COO COO k. Sincerely yours. Fancy Coo Coo"