PCs v Macs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brian Kelly, Aug 3, 2004.

Which are the best - PCs or Macs

1. PCs

2. Macs

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Last week, "The Gadget Show" on Channel 5 did a comparison test of PCs and Applemacs. While the Applemac was easier and quicker to set up and get working than the PC, they concluded that, comparing like for like, PCs are faster, cheaper, better value for money, and parts are more easily available if something goes wrong.

In defence of Macs, they didn't say on the show that Macs seem to be immune from most of the computer viruses roaming around the internet to the fear and dread of PC users.

Are Macs marvellous? Are PCs the perfect computers? What do people think?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Oh no :? :? :? :? the pc-vs-mac discussion has reached tMP :wink:
    Maybe we can immediately add a windows-vs-linux discussion as well? :wink: :p

To be short: bot platforms have their advantages
    mac: easier and quicker setup, less vulnerable for viruses (most of them are specifically targetted at vulnerabilities in MS Windows, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express), ...
    PC: sheaper and better components, flexibility (you can use Linux if you want!), ...

and also disadvantages
    mac: more expensive, compatibility with the large majority of windows-users, less osftware available (?), ...
    windows: vulnerability for viruses, stability problems of microsoft-software, ...

For me, i'm perfectly happy with my PC/Windows machine: It's flexible, the hardware is relatively cheap and easy to replace, and I've had almost no security problems so far (regularly download security updates, use an up-to-date virsuscanner and firewall, run Ad-aware once in a while, use Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, ...)
  3. jonford

jonford Member

PC I think is the best, more compatable with software etc. I do like the look of macs but after using one at school I prefer PCs.

Although the ipods have been a successful I still wouldn't buy one, they are expensive, and there are other alternatives
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Has to be PC....

Macs... weeeell.... I'll find the URL of a lil funny video clip about Macs and post it up a bit later.... then you can watch it as it speaks for itself :lol:

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Definitely PC. For all their quirks and failings, they are fairly straightforward to keep running and easy to upgrade.

This is a debate that will never end because people like what they are used to.

I know what I like and I like what I know! :roll:
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Speaking as a person who has been in the IT industry for more years than I care to remember I would say that the Mac is definitely the better platform. The hardware is more reliable and the software is generally more robust and more secure.

Having said that however, the PC/M!cro$oft platform obviously has the market share so Apple have missed the boat and it will take an almighty effort for them to catch up.
  7. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Hmm, not convinced by these arguments John. PC hardware is pretty reliable these days. PC software is mostly stable (on any OS), very user friendly (on Windows and some Linux distributions) and can be secure (certainly on Linux).

My experience of Macs is that they are pretty but the software was pretty unreliable, the hardware wasn't that stable either.

Of course times change and products improve in whatever line they fall. Run a browser like Firefox and use one of the many free personal firewall and anti-virus products and your PC will be secure running Windows.

Linux is a lot harder to setup than Windows though that is improving.

Software like Firefox and OpenOffice run on both Windows and Linux.

One of the biggest headaches of PCs is the vast amount of hardware available making the matrix of possible PC combinations nigh on infinite which in turn makes support a nightmare.

Problem with the poll is that most people do not see a real difference between a PC or a Mac (it's just a hardware platform), what people really see is the difference in the OS and software running on them.
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

:lol: Funny video :lol:

Brought back memories of when we had a mac.

Now we have other problems on our PC.

The fact of the matter is that they both can be frustrating when you only have a basic understanding of computers. For those gifted enough to understand how computers really work (of which I am not one) avoiding some of the problems is easier I have heard.
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

We had to use Macs at school... if I ever have to use another one I'll scream!!! All the stuff people tell you about them being stable and fast and wonderful, from my personal experience, is a load of old knackers... they were slow, crashed frequently, the software was useless for anything more than the simplest of tasks, and trying to get one to talk to a pc was hell... Microsoft may have their faults, but PCs in general are far better!
  11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hilarious! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

After watching that I'm glad I didn't get one.
  12. paddo

paddo Member

Very funny!!!!!

In the macs defence.... all these comments and the funny vid' must be old stuff!

I used to sell the stuff and yes os 9 had problems but have any of you used jaguar or panther???

The new panther with a G5 (single 1.8 processor ) is very fast, vary reliable and with my line of work, can take up to 8 gig of ram. Multi tasking you have never seen before.

I find it very hard to agree with most of you that pc's are better. I have a sony vio laptop used for event photography..........c***. talk about crashing. I dare not hook it up on my broadband connection for fear of any thing getting in! no worries on my mac, it just blocks anything and every thing.

Come on all of you try a new generation mac.......you won't be disapointed....honest.
  13. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I love MACs, but I had to vote for PC's purely for their convenience. Easier to upggrade, replace parts, nd ultimately buy (my PC cost £400 as opposed to the MAC I want which is around £2800 last time I looked!!!!!!! :wow )

I would love a MAC, but they are WAY out of my price range. Could buy a new instrument for the price of the G5 i've fallen in love wiv :(