PC problem- Network Interface Card

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi guys- any computer whizzes online!?
    a) I need to know if my PC has a Network Interface Card for Xbox Live- how do I find this out!?
    b) where's the best place to buy an Ethernet cable to connect my PC to my Xbox 360!?
    Cheers
    Alex

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Does it need to be a specific kind of NIC or is it a standard ethernet connection?

Most modern computers come with ethernet connections on them as part of the Motherboard - if you're in XP, look under "Connect to" from the start menu, Show all connections, then look for something in LAN....it'll be named Local area connection or something like.

As to network cables, any computer shop will sell them to you - beware that there are two types RJ45 and crossover. Check your Xbox documentation for which type you need (then head over to PC World if you've not got a local bod).

3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers, think i'll head into Dixons or Game tomorrow to get it sorted/ get a cable!
    My computer seems to be ok, but the "Internet Connection Wizard" isn't working!? So I can't set up a connection between my Xbox and PC until I can find out why! Just keeps saying it fails to initialize!!! :( Can anyone help!?

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Alex

How does this work...? There are several varianst

Does the XBox connect to the PC which in turn connects to your router which connects to your internet connection
    Does the XBox connect to the router which connects to the internet
    Doex your XBox connect to your PC which is directly connected to the internet

??

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

By the sound of it you're using a PC as a gateway for the internet connection and then having the XBox share the connection. I assume you have a USB modem and a broadband connection (cos it's not worth doing XBox Live without broadband). It can be done, you need a NIC in the PC and a crossover cable. If your PC is relatively new (last three years) then it probably has a built in NIC. Any older than that and you'll need a card.

Having said all that however, this is not the best setup. You would be far better to get an ADSL modem/router and connect both devices to it. If you got one with wireless too then you wouldn't need the devices in close proximity to each other either.

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers guys,
    My phoneline connects to my "broadband boxey thing" which connects to my PC by USB, there is then an ethernet cable that goes from the back of my computer to my Xbox...! Hope that makes sense! :rolleyes:

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

As I thought, if you're using Win 98 as spied in another thread then I really wouldn't advise trying ICS as it's a bit flaky on 98. 98 was never built as a server OS so a lot of the more techy stuff is a pain to get working. Either upgrade to XP or get yourself an ADSL modem/router like the Netgear DG834 series.