PC gone mad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Feb 4, 2004.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I can't believe it. The PC brigade are taking over.
    Ignoring the actual subject of his post for a minute, someone has just been slated for using the word "nazi" on a public forum. What's next, is band uniform to include "bow ties of an ethnic minority"?

2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Tell the PC brigade to go to hell.

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

yeah... these plaice collectors are really beginning to bug me... live the fish alone!

4. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Plaice Collectors? I thought it stood for Pickled Cabbage...

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

Can we still call it hell or is that derogatory to its inhabitants. It is after all a negative term!!!!

6. jambo

jambo Member

Yup, true to say that the tree huggers of this world are finlly going completely bonkers....I heard that even Black Dyke had to re jig their name when on tour in the states to the Queensbury band so that the softies over their didn't get the wrong message. Poor dears...What with straight bananas, parents not being able to photograph their own kids in school productions and Tom and Jerry being dubbed to violent for kids the world has gone mad!!!!!

Bring back birching for scumbags, alcohol in gripe water and reclaim the word 'Gay" to mean happy and not homosexual..(not that there is anything wrong with being homosexual...but why should only homosexuals be happy by title? :lol: :wink:

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

But it has a warm feel about it :!: :wink: :lol:

Regarding the use of the term "nazis" I think it will always be an emotive phrase that will upset some people more than if some other totalitarian regime or philosophy had been given as an example. I can understand why some people would find it offensive in the light of relatively recent attrocities carrried out under it's banner - although I accept the same could apply to any number of other situations.

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes, of course. To use 'hell' in a derogatory sense would be...er...hadist? Infernist?

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You probably couldn't call it "the underworld" any more either, as that would imply a judgemental decision :shock: :wink: :lol:

10. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I thought you were having copmputer problems, JS :roll:

Time for some "tea-with-no-milk"

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bow ties
    actual subject
    PC brigade
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Off topic (sorry!) but this reminds me of the following

Customer: I'd like a coffee without milk, please

Waiter: I'm sorry; we've run out of milk. We have cream. Would you like your coffee without cream?

:roll:

13. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

14. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

was that from a monty pytho sketch? :lol:

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think theres a difference between people being pc for the sake of it, and objecting to the use of the word "nazi" in a blatant dig at the mods. Imho, given the tone of the thread, the responses were spot on!

16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

It was a dodgy thread at best and is best left locked. Here's hoping this one isn't gonna go the same way...

17. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol, funny thread :D :lol: :roll: :wink:

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The banning of any word is wrong. If you've read 1984 you will know how dangerous this practice is.

As an extreme example, the Inuit eskimoes apparently have 27 words for snow. We have one. They couldn't function as a society with one word for snow they would die.

If we are not allowed to use the word Nazi then pretty soon nobody will know what a Nazi is or was. When a person really starts acting like a Nazi there will be no word to describe their odious behaviour and they will effectively get away with it.

Being a Nazi is wrong - not the use of the word Nazi. (Especially when it was a joke).

19. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Describing someone or a some group as Nazi(s) is different than describing them as having fascist tendencies. The Nazis earned a place in history through their creation and enforcement of a particularly brutal and genocidal regime. To suggest that our fine moderators act in a similar fashion seems well out of order to me.

20. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I wasn't attempting to defend or agree with Bob at all; I think that our mods do a great job.
    My point was that more people seemed to be worrying about the use of one particular word than were actually responding to the question. In much the same way as you'd expect when questioning a politician.