PBone - The Plastic Trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Peach, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

I have a P-bone - great for carolling (especially festooned with tinsel and fairy lights (omg-have I just admitted that!!!????)) - still trying to work the slide in though.

Has anyone else heard that stocks of tromba have to be destroyed (I can only guess a patent infringement but that is only a guess if the story is true)? Seen something to that effect from Trevada.

2. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Really?!

3. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

It's what I read but haven't found anything to substantiate it. They still have top billing on the Packer website so perhaps the story isn't true.

4. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

5. Has anyone else heard that stocks of tromba have to be destroyed (I can only guess a patent infringement but that is only a guess if the story is true)? Seen something to that effect from Trevada.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

6. GordonH

GordonH Member

Not true.[/QUOTE]

"As part of an agreement with another plastic trombone supplier, we are currently unable to supply the model of trombone that was previously sold on this site. Rest assured that we are working on many new products along with a newer version of the trombone (codename: glide slide) and will be requesting the help of our many fans to offer feedback and reviews of our products prior to the official launch. We estimate to have these products by early 2013, please check back for further details!"

From http://plastictrombone.co.uk/

7. John Morton

John Morton Member

Our solo trombone brings an orange one along for our Christmas carols gig. He tapes a battery to the back of the instrument and has fairy lights down to and around the bell. His Santa hat completes the effect. All the children filing through to Santa's grotto completely ignored the shiny expensive instruments. All they could see was that plastic trombone.

8. slidebonedave

slidebonedave New Member

Yup that's me! I bought mine at the original lower price, and been really happy with it. The slide does tend to go a bit 'sticky', and needs spraying with water more frequently than my other bones - slide-o-mix works best for me I've found. And the sound does not have the same ring as, say, my 3B.

However all that being said, it's really really light, plays surprisingly well, very comfortable on cold gigs, and just tremendous fun! It's great to see the reaction on people's faces, and I've had lots of questions from all sorts of people who cant quite believe it's actually plastic. And as John says the kids love it!

9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Has any manufacturer yet produced other instruments in plastic?
    Is it a problem with valves perhaps and inability to produce a smoothly operating valve in plastic, or are there other considerations?
    A plastic cornet would maybe, be interesting to both hear or play.

10. "As part of an agreement with another plastic trombone supplier, we are currently unable to supply the model of trombone that was previously sold on this site. Rest assured that we are working on many new products along with a newer version of the trombone (codename: glide slide) and will be requesting the help of our many fans to offer feedback and reviews of our products prior to the official launch. We estimate to have these products by early 2013, please check back for further details!"

From http://plastictrombone.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

Arrived yesterday. A blue one and a red one.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's all down to wear and tear. Some modern materials may be able to tolerate this, but would the costs would be a lot higher. It will be interesting to find out how long the slides last on the trombones before they need replaced.

12. Hudd3

Hudd3 New Member

I can understand a Trombonist taking a PBone to play carols or for a pub gig.... but call me old fashioned, we won't allow them into our bandroom (training band).... the band supplies proper instruments on which new players, particularly youngsters are brought up to look after and care for their instrument... they get used to the feel and sound of a proper trombone. A band supplied trombone is also cheaper than a player having to fork out for their own PBone.

13. The point is that they are ideal for the young player for reasons of grip (tension) and posture. It's nothing to do with being a "proper" instrument.

14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I work in the plastics industry, injection moulding as chief engineer to be exact, so I do know some plastics that have both good bearing potential and long lasting. However due to incompatibility with other plastics problems, it may mean the whole instrument being made out of the same material unless clamped or interference fitted joints were employed.
    However Polyoxymethylene, sometimes called acetal would be an ideal material for the valve block and valves, as also certain grades of low friction nylons. As for the tubing, I am not familiar with which material is used on the Pbones, but similar should work OK.
    An alternative for the valve block and valves might be any strong plastic such as Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS to give it the well known name, (Which may be the tubing already used) then lined with Polytetrafluoroethylene or PTFE, the none stick stuff on your frying pan, and has the lowest co-efficient of friction known, only beaten by ice perhaps. Be absolutely no requirement for valve oil, ever.

15. ABS is indeed used for the Tromba. I spoke to a "plastics man" at Cheltenham who also mentioned PTFE would be suitable for valves so it seems there is agreement.

16. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

But wouldn’t "ABS" stop the slide falling off the end of the instrument, thus curtailing a number of hilarious Trombone cadenza’s!!!!!

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Like! IMO the post of the last few months :wink: