PBone - The Plastic Trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Peach, Nov 24, 2010.

1. DeedleBone

DeedleBone New Member

I ordered a purple pbone, should be being shipped on the 28th hopefully arriving before the following saturday! Can't wait till it arrives, Looks brilliant!

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Shame a trombone mouthpiece doesn't fit.

3. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Really? What size does it take then?

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Not sure. It comes with a plastic one. When I took it to band last night our trombone's mouthpiece would not fit.

5. DeedleBone

DeedleBone New Member

It fits small bore trombone mouthpieces, you probably only tried large bore ones.

6. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Ah, that would make sense.

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Seriously thinking of getting one for doing school demos! Anyone with any experience of them know if they're good as a beginner instrument?

8. DeedleBone

DeedleBone New Member

I havn't actually played one myself as of yet, but many of my friends that have them say they are surprisingly good and way better than cheap student trombones. They would also be very appealing to young children obviously because of the colour and fun of it, they are also much much much lighter than real trombones.

9. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

I have tried one. I would think they would be a super way of introducing the best instrument in the band to young people at a very low cost. The slide on the one I tried was very smooth.
    The lightweight of the instrument was amazing, After playing a couple of Hymn tunes at the start of our rehearsal I went back to my Edwards Bb and F and discovered just how heavy my usual bone is.

10. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

That's cos you play an Edwards...... ;)

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Second that. My R4 weighs about the same as my 88h (That's without the trigger.)
    I've played an Elkhart 8h that was light as a feather compared to a modern 8h.

12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Mind you I'm expecting the p-bone to make my beast of a courtois flugel feel like a breezeblock when I at last get my mitts on it..... apparently the supplied mouthpiece is properly diddy so I might have an outside chance of hitting notes on it.....

13. Hells Bones

If it's anything like a standard medium bore supplied mouthpiece it will be a 12C.
    Closer to a Tenor Horn piece than a trom one ;)

Birthday pressie for me anyone? :D

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You get so used to the weight on BB that when I'm asked to play Eb I practically chuck the thing through the roof every time I lift it, so plastic instruments should be a doddle.

Wonder if there's any plans to do a contrabass? Even without triggers I'd totally buy one....

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Looks more like a 15E to me - properly small and shallow!

16. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

Got a blue one on its way this week. Do you reckon these things will take a 7C?

17. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

It's just arrived in the last 5 mins, would you believe, and yes, to answer myself - it does!

18. Hells Bones

Yeah, it will take any small shank mouthpiece.

Small tenor or Bari mouthpiece will work fine in it.

19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

None of my tenor horn M/p's fit it. And trust me, I've got lots. ;)

Or do you mean Tenor Trombone? (Just dawned on me after I posted).

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

He means tenor trombone. ;-)