pay as you go road charges

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Jun 7, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4617315.stm

please tell me this isn't seriously being considered!!

So if you work 15 miles away you could be charged say £30 a day extra!
    Say you pay £50 per month in fuel and £155 in road tax, that works out to be a total of £755 a year.
    If you were getting charged £30 a day for travelling on busy roads, then for your £755 you could go to work for a month!

:eek:

for an average worker charges like that would stop them working = more people unemployed and could you imagine the extra charges for even going to a band job?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

It is a ridiculous money grabbing exercise.

Point One
    If the Government do bring it in (and I hope they don't), I bet that the price of fuel at the pumps will not drop at all. At the moment, the proposal says that fuel tax will be lowered.

Point Two
    If you think about it, we are already paying more tax in congested areas becuase of the increased fuel consumption you get when travelling slowly. Don't forget we get taxed a lot on fuel at the moment.

Point Three
    Some people have no option but to drive because of where they live or a disability although in the planning stages at least, the polititans will 'promise' rebates for them. Also, the same will be true of volunteer charity workers who have to drive around from place to place.

Point Four
    The Government have been promising for ages that increased road charges will go to improve public transport. Whilst in the extreme city & town centres, it has happened, but I've not seen any evidence in residential areas where the bulk of the traffic originates from.

Those or just four of my observations about the proposals. Some people will have other comments to add I'm sure, but at the end of the day, I don't think that the Government will listen to all of our concerns and that it is just their way of attracting some of the Green vote (who do have some valid points regarding cars).

3. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

You could also add that the charges were stated to be highest around the M25 (south east) and lowest further North.......Tony Blair alla Robin Hood - stealing from the rich (tory) and giving to the poor old Labour voter..................

4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Did I miss this 'little' proposal before the election??

5. sparkling_quavers

hmmmmm I don't think the M60 ringroad around Manchester will be too cheap, conviently right next to our house and the main route for us to get anywhere. I also read on BBC Manchester that Greater Manchester and West Midlands would be the trial areas! :mad:

6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Won't be long before all roads are expensive. Think about it, if it costs 10p per mile to travel by motorway and only 1p per mile to go through the back roads how long before the back roads get congested and merit the higher toll?

7. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

its absolute ****e !!!!! and everyone should be complaining to their local MP to put a stop to this idea...... the motorist yet again becomes the easy target !!:mad:

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This will kill me...I work 25 miles from my doorstep. Factoring up the new charges plus the increase in tax on petrol which will happen in September (remember Gordon Brown cleverly deferred this before the election...) I just won't be able to afford to work where I do...

OK so my alternatives...

Public transport....yeah right...:rolleyes: - stupidly expensive. Despite the fact I live in a village with a train station I can't get a train direct to Coventry (the next city) as that service was discontiunued last year. Bus? Are you joking? To get a bus to Coventry I would have to catch one either to the centre of Leicester (7 miles the other way) or Rugby (another trip well out of the way) which would mean at least 1 1/2 hours each way. As I regularly clock up 9, 10, 11 hour days I might as well sleep under my desk as catch a bus.

Get a new job: Well thank you Tony for telling me where I can and can't work. As I'm an engineer, which, due to years of neglect of the manufacturing industries started by the Tories and continued by Labour is now a dying trade, jobs in Leicester are few and far between. I had to go to Coventry to get a job with a worthwhile salary and a reasonable amount of enjoyment for me to do.

Move to Coventry Great suggestion :rolleyes: . I currently live in a nice Leicestershire village. So I'm now expected to swap the green fields for 50's concerete or (due to massively inflated house prices) buy a place I can't afford on a meagre Engineers salary (which is a whole new issue).

So come on Tone....if your going to force these taxes on us - how about giving us some form of alternative - anything will do - cheaper houses? Lower fuel bills? a decent public transport system? Anything so we can still go about the lives we have chosen / had dictated to us while still being able to afford to do such "leisure activities" as feeding our families...:mad:

Not Very Happy Flugel....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

OMG.... they cannot be serious! If they bring this in I'll be furious... especially when it comes to travelling down south to see my family....

Costs enough as it is running a car without them putting this idea into the frame.... they'll do anything to get more money out of us!!

10. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

DON'T PANIC

I personally think this will never happen. What I think WILL happen, is "Toll" charges for motorways, not excessive, just something to keep the road network able to finance itself.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    road charges
    extra charges
    average worker charges
    fuel
    road tax
  12. Naomi McFadyen

i hope ur right Tim...... i really do...

I'm against the toll idea as well... glad I dont go down the M6 toll road when I go down south.

13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

*Abba-esque voice* - Money, money, money, Must be funny......

Move to Shetland - apparently, it'll be cheaper there. Or the Festern Isles.

(Yeah, right....)

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I suppose we would also have to pay for the Black Boxes to be fitted to our cars? And then someone will work out how to take it out and leave it working at home, so black market in Box fixing will spring up. All the UK holiday resorts will go out of business, because the 'cheap' camping holiday in Devon or wherever will cost £500+ in road charges! :mad:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has been announced to annoy motorists. So that when another announcement, slightly less stupid and expensive, comes out soon, we will all accept it without too much fuss! But that could be just my utter distrust of politicians clouding my views.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Like a large rise in tax on petrol / diesel maybe??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Another point, the government will probably force us to have to pay for the black box thingy like they are planning to for the National ID cards.

17. Naomi McFadyen

sorry, but can someone explain what the "black box thingy" is please

:)

18. sparkling_quavers

the charges would work by a satellite tracking system, so a tracker (the black box) would be fitted to cars

19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The black box is the bit of kit which tells the authorites which road you are on. It works like a GPS system except instead of it telling you where to go, it tells a central computer where you are so the 'tax' you have to pay can be calculated.

20. Naomi McFadyen

aaaaah ok, goptcha...... thanks :)

hope that doesnt happen too lol

21. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The pains of peripatetic teaching will be made a great deal worse - public transport is not a practical option when carrying half a dozen instruments, music, laptop and a CD player. Not to mention the problems of the public transport not going near where you actually need to be, nor being available at the times you will need.
    Great thinking Mr Blair

With the black boxes they will also be able to check how long it has taken to get from point a to point b - anybody fancy speeding now that they can track your every movement?

George Orwell wasn't too far off:rolleyes:

I wonder who will be paying for all the government cars?

I agree that something has to be done about the traffic problems (especially near rush hour), but this is just going to cause more problems. People will learn how to cheat the black boxes, the back roads will become heavily congested, public transport will get no better, petrol prices won't come down, eventually only the rich will be able to afford to drive - well done Mr Blair, another triumph:rolleyes:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    road charges
    extra charges
    average worker charges
    fuel
    road tax