Paul Patterson

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davetubaking, Jan 22, 2010.

1. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Does anyone know of any recordings of Paul Patterson's Cataclysm and Chromascope and maybe even Deception Pass which was for brass ensemble played by the PJBE?
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Chromascope is on a Besses LP called English Brass from around may find one on Keith Quinn's memorabilia website.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've been aware of Deception Pass for some considerable time, but I'm sure there isn't a recording of it (... famous last words). However, it is a piece that does appear in concert programmes now and again.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Just to clarify, it's actually on English Brass Volume Two, along with music by that other well-known Englishman, Giovanni Gabrieli!

You can find a recording of Cataclysm on the album of the same name by London Collegiate Brass conducted by Edward Gregson - might be a bit tricky to find a copy though. Like the above poster though, I don't know of any commercial recording of Deception Pass.

Also, if you are interested, Patterson wrote at least two other works for orchestral brass (but I can't recall of the top of my head the forces required) - Countdown and Mean Time.

More subject matter for your virtual performance project, I take it? Good luck!
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Patterson also wrote Royal Eurostar (written for the opening of the Channel Tunnel) which was recorded by The London Brass Virtuosi on Hyperion.

I don't know of any recording of Deception Pass (I remember hearing the PJBE and the London Schools Symphony Orchestra Brass play it) but here's a description of the piece:
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

7. KMJ Recordings

Oops :p

That'll be 1977 then? Can't be right all the time, I guess ;)

The sleeve notes from Ifor James state, I believe, something like "The connection is that it was arranged by an Englishman" for the Gabrielli :biggrin:
  8. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

Don't know about any recordings I'm afriad, but I played Cataclysm for PP's 50th Anniversary Concert with Jim Watson conducting our ensemble. The whole gig was Paul Patterson works, so I thought I'd try and take it easy in Cataclysm and managed to sit myself down for third trumpet..... opened the music and discovered the 3rd trumpet part was mostly a lofty solo piccolo trumpet extravaganza! Had fun with that one!
  9. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

He also wrote "Count Down" for Brass Band...
  10. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Thanks everyone - I managed to track down the LP recordings of Cataclysm and Chromascope (which seems to be a poor follow up to Cataclysm.) But no luck so far with Deception Pass.
  11. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

No more of a nostalgia trip for pieces I remember from my youth. You couldn't recreate the avant garde techniques of Cataclysm with a sample library.

If I was to take on another BB piece after I finish the Bourgeois 2nd BB concerto I would like to do Salford Toccata if I can ever get hold of a copy of the score. The man at universal edition blancked me when offered to buy the score or rent it for a month without the parts at a reduced rate. score and parts for a month is £170!!! - I'm not that enthusiastic.
  12. KMJ Recordings

They were written the other way round....Chromascope was commissioned by Besses and came first in 1974, followed by Cataclysm in 1975 which was a NYBBGB if you like Cataclysm could be seen as a progression ;)
  13. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

:redface: yes that was what I meant that Chromascope was an earlier rough sketch for the much more assured Cataclysm. - honest:oops: