Pathetic England National Footballers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnflugel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Last night confirmed to me exactly why I have no real interest in International Football anymore. England's footballers ignoring the press? Pathetic.

Common sense first: you cannot take on the press and expect to win

Secondly, who do the players think they are? The reason why they have their multi million pound contracts, cars, pop star women and national adulation is because of the press.

Sven Goran Erikssson showed his true colours: backing the players over their silence yet few hours earlier he dropped the player (who he said on Saturday he would not drop) who they were all being silent for. Talk about hypocrisy, surely the way to support their cause would be to back the guy by keeping him in the team. By dropping him he justifies everything that has been written about David James in the last few days. Mr Eriksson is out to save his own skin, the fact that Beckham runs the players and not him tells me it's time for him to go. The England Squad sounds like a cosy little break/back scratch for the players.

A few ideas from me:
    1. Sack Eriksson - bring in Harry Redknapp - yes old hat and old school but he would have none of this pathetic player power and would only select guys interested in playing for their country.
    2. Drop Beckham from squad and make Gerrard or Campbell captain. Gerrard in particular is the only top flight player of recent times to show any decency (turning down a big pay cheque to stay at Liverpool)
    3. Drop Gary Neville from squad - Decent right back but being a PFA rep, he is always out to make sure the players get their own way. Let's face it, noone really likes the litrle weasel...lose him

Gone are the days of patriotism or loyalty - instead of settling for it, it's should be fought...starting with the National team.

What do we think?

2. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Agree there. Defoe should play with Rooney up front (not as if I like the spotty little fella), but they try new things and are unpredictable classy players. Being a Spurs fan, im wondering how long it will be until King gets dropped when Campbell and Ferdinand are back. Also, Robinson should stay as number 1. Think we will win the group in the end, but it will be a long struggle if we continue like we are

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Part of the reason the players refused to talk to the media was because of the personal attacks on manager and some of the players. It might have been going on for years but that aspect is, for me, totally unacceptable. Criticise their footballing/managking skills, fine (although many employed to do this are embarrassingly out of their depth at doing so, David Mellor, for instance) but what amounts to abuse isn't acceptable. Perhaps if our football writers stopped having virtual coronary attacks every time England don't win well and have all 11 players and substitues play a blinder, this problem wouldn't arise in the first place. Maybe refusing to talk was going a bit OTT but if you read Henry Winter's grovelling account of last night's match in today's Telegraph, then it would appear their action has had some effect....

And in the end, although I must admit, I don't know whether we'll win a tournament under Sven, his record in qualifying matches is rather difficult to argue against.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As I recall, Gerrard had allegedly told Frank Lampard in Portugal that he was joining Chelsea. IF the stories are to be believed then it was pressure and even threats from Liverpool fans that prompted the subsequent volte face.

I stress, IF these stories are true, then it casts some doubt on the 'decency' tag you pin on Gerrard.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Media pressure on managers and players is not a new thing - I well remember how Don Revie was pilloried by the press, who were desperate to hound him out, only to get even more stick when he did get out and go off to the Middle East :shock:

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I think it was great to see the players treating the press/media. with the contempty they deserve.

We all watch football to see players play not to listen to tv presenters who never played the game (I am not including ex-players here) tell us how bad England internationals are.

Most of the media only jump on the latest band wagon (e.g. are'nt Arsenal and therefore all their players and France fantastic and everyone else is useless)

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

How do we explain Mr Erikkson's 'loyalty'? Was not going to drop James, what other reason does he have to drop him other than injury or pressure from the press? SGE is out to save himself.

For the people against the media on this one - are you not protecting the same set of players that threatened to strike? Some patriostism that they are demonstrating. They are all out to protect one another and scratch each others backs in my view.

8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

..and the press only get their millions of pounds by putting these peoples faces/ comments/ products in their newpapers or magazines.

Richard Key's comments on SKY were akin that of a spoilt brat who always gets his way but was told this time that nobody would play with him.

Footballers are human beings after all. I can't say that I always want to speak to people even if they want to speak to me.

As for dropping James, are you saying that Sven cannot change his mind? Once a decision is made he cannot change it. We aren't privvy to what goes on at training and in the camp generally.

Igg

P.S I was glad he dropped the Clown

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Why did he change his mind? I think he knew if James dropped a clanger, he would be for the chop...by playing Robinson he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Does noone agree with me? Perhaps now my team are mediocre first division (still capable of beating HCFC convincingly Cornetking and 2ndmandown...you were very quiet on that one!), maybe I just don't like what the lower division fans call 'namby pamby' football!

The press have always been the same, ignoring them is just plain childish in my view. The article about 95% percent of the nation wanting a donkey in place of James was just pure fun...I mean no matter how badly James plays, you seriously would not want a donkey in would you. Like a set of spoilt children: average age of that squad is probaly 50k a week each and they still want everything their own way.

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, not many, it would appear! (Not having a dig, that's a joke! ;-))

Anyway, to appease all those offended by the England team's reticence last night I have obtained exclusive details of the interviews they did not want you to hear!

''

''
    (Gary Neville)

'' !! !!!''
    (Jermaine Defoe)

'' '' (David Beckham)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    player
    footballers
    interest
    England
    sense
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Maybe in training Robinson was playing really well and so was deserving of a place in the team? To be honest, when they have World Cup qualification on their minds, why would the players want the distraction of having over payed reporters with over inflated egos asking them quite insulting questions about one of their mates? To be honest, they went out there and did the job they are paid for so I can't see what the complaint is about...

13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Crikey, is Beckham giving you all a slice of his 100k a week or perhaps you are all related to Gary Neville!

Looks like I have been beaten into submission, am staggered that noone even partly agrees with me...never mind eh?!

14. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

You havin' a bubble?
    G.Nev is THE best right back of recent times.
    Yet again you amaze us all by your complete lack of clarity.
    You provide nothing but sensationalist statements and no alternative re-construction.

Eriksson doesn't NEED to save himself. Football-wise, he's hardly put a foot wrong.
    One of, if not THE, best game:win ratios of our generation.

15. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Do remind us when Eriksson in partnership with England won a major championship! :dunno

Eriksson has done nothing but create scandal (although lets face it don't all the England team). I'm gonna agree with John (though i will still remain quiet about the Leeds match! :x ) following the current crop of results and the failures of the last few championships Eriksson has gotta go...now!

:D Feel much better after that!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

'Last FEW championships', Chris? Eriksson has only been in charge for two. Has yet to lose a qualifying match, either. Like I said, I'm not convinced we CAN win a major tournament under Eriksson but hey, we've only ever achieved that once anyway! But how he can be sacked when he's qualified as manager for two major tournaments without losing a game would be hard to justify. As for the 'current crop of results'...... starts a qualifying campagin by picking up 4 points from the first two (away) games. Scandal is irrelevant in this instance. Sure, it could be argued, what with Fariah Alam and his wages, that he's quite accomplished at screwing the 'FA', but.....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

1)Read again - Never said Gary Neville wasn't a good back right back

2)Read again - Alternative re-construction, I suggested Harry Redknapp

If England had lost last night, whether you like Erikkson or not, his job would have been on the line.

Nothing too sensational here, just an opinion

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Absolutely, opinions is wot I luv! ;-)

Yes, you're right, Eriksson's job would have been on the line, but on the basis of what would have been his first defeat in a qualifying campaign, which frankly, to me, would be a real knee-jerk reaction.

19. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

You reakon that Englands bad??!!!! My team couldn't even beat a team that practised on a field shared with sheep! (But we did beat England ;) hehe)

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed, the distraction and temptation would put them off....

:) :) (Only joking, Mark!)

21. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Not all Aussies like sheep! I prefer baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaands ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    player
    footballers
    interest
    England
    sense