"Pastime with Good Company" by Henry VIII -- Best Brass Band arrangment?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Nov 29, 2017.

1. AMbrass1

AMbrass1 New Member

I would avaoid doubling the parts with other intruments, Steve heard this as a trombone feature I wouldn't want to spoil it. Yes it is exposed which is great for a developing band, something as a challenge for the less confident player. Exposed yes difficult no with a little practice. There is the danger by doubling that you are indirectly telling the trombones "you don't trust them". Not the best way to develop a band. We should try and move away from covering all the notesd at the expense of timbre, obviously if there is a trombone missing then cover it with another instrument. If there's a full section then make sure they understand that it is their challenge.

2. David Broad

David Broad Member

The clip of the Band playing the Roberts arrangement was impressive, I think I will seek out a copy or maybe save myself a few bob and do my own arrangement. Presumably even the USA hasn't extended copyright back to Henry VIII's time yet.

3. jobriant

jobriant Member

[QUOTE="Presumably even the USA hasn't extended copyright back to Henry VIII's time yet.[/QUOTE]

David, are you in the USA? Which brass band? We need to compare notes, etc., & see what else we might do that will be to the mutual benefit of your band & ours....

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice