"Pastime with Good Company" by Henry VIII -- Best Brass Band arrangment?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Nov 29, 2017.

1. AMbrass1

AMbrass1 New Member

I would avaoid doubling the parts with other intruments, Steve heard this as a trombone feature I wouldn't want to spoil it. Yes it is exposed which is great for a developing band, something as a challenge for the less confident player. Exposed yes difficult no with a little practice. There is the danger by doubling that you are indirectly telling the trombones "you don't trust them". Not the best way to develop a band. We should try and move away from covering all the notesd at the expense of timbre, obviously if there is a trombone missing then cover it with another instrument. If there's a full section then make sure they understand that it is their challenge.

2. David Broad

David Broad Member

The clip of the Band playing the Roberts arrangement was impressive, I think I will seek out a copy or maybe save myself a few bob and do my own arrangement. Presumably even the USA hasn't extended copyright back to Henry VIII's time yet.

3. jobriant

jobriant Member

[QUOTE="Presumably even the USA hasn't extended copyright back to Henry VIII's time yet.[/QUOTE]

David, are you in the USA? Which brass band? We need to compare notes, etc., & see what else we might do that will be to the mutual benefit of your band & ours....

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org