"Pastime with Good Company" by Henry VIII -- Best Brass Band arrangment?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

And that's where it all goes pear-shaped...

KMJ Recordings likes this.
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

In all seriousness... why not do your own? You know the strengths and weaknesses of your band, and if anything could be nailed on to be a "Public Domain" work, this is it.

3. jobriant

jobriant Member

The original is in the public domain -- but I can't read it.

(Click for image) Pastime with Good Company - Wikipedia

I would have to work from someone else's arrangement, and to my knowledge, none of those are in the Public Domain.

And I'm already in the middle of half a dozen other arrangments. I've promised myself not to start any more until these are finished....

Jim O'Briant
    Music Director / Staff Arranger
    The Pacific Brass Band, Salinas, California, USA
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

Anno Draconis and KMJ Recordings like this.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Philip, how different is the brass band version? is it possible to see a perusal version of the score anywhere, please?

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for that, Philip.

Anglo Music Press likes this.
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

When we've performed it, the MD's simply instructed the kit percussionist to make up something suitably 'hey nonny nonny' along the lines of the first half of the arrangement. It works well - there's no dependency on a rock beat in the brass parts. Btw, I concur on the good taste judgment - it's not brass banding's finest musical moment when the rock beat kicks in...

jobriant likes this.
  9. MoominDave

Screenshot of it attached to this post... No excuses now!

Attached Files:

• PIGC.jpg
      PIGC.jpg
      File size:
      379.2 KB
      Views:
  10. MoominDave

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I rather thought that when the OP said he couldn't "read it", he meant that he didn't know how to interpret the notation, rather than that he couldn't display the image ... ?

12. jobriant

jobriant Member

A reply to several of the above replies:

Thank you, Philip Sparke, for joining this discussion. I've listened to your Brass Band arrangement on YouTube, while following the sample score you linked above. Very finely crafted, but a bit "busier" that I'm looking for. May also be too challenging for our back bench cornets and a few other individuals in the band. Thank you also for the original in modern notation.

As for doing my own arrangement -- I could spend a LOT of time on it and not come up with anything that is better than or even equals either the Sparke or Roberts arrangement. My comment about "not being able to read" the original did indeed refer to my own unfamiliarity with the notation of 450-500 years ago, and to the quality of the image. So my other excuse for not writing my own arrangement remains the same: too many irons in the fire.

And thank you, "Moomin Dave," for confirming my impression that the brass parts in the last 40% of the Roberts arrangement can work just fine without a rock beat. Thus, as I said in an earlier reply, I'll most likely purchase the Roberts arrangement an re-write the percussion to replace the rock beat with something more period-appropriate.

Jim O'Briant
    The Pacific Brass Band, Salinas, California, USA
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

13. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Not as difficult as um-chucks by all accounts ;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Euphonium Lite likes this.
  14. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Lol not at all - appreciate theres a lot of people that don't like "tat" (which the Roberts version is I guess) - however I find it fun to play even though it is a splitfest on cornet for most bands and theres an out-of-keeping rock beat. But then I also quite like The Floral Dance and the Ashmore arrangement of Jingle Bells - maybe I'm just a bit sad :)

15. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

I have never understood the fascination with this piece. I like most Roberts stuff, okayish throw away novelty numbers that go down well with audiences, but Pastime With Good Company is always one of those pieces that leave me sighing when an MD pulls it from the cabinets and blows the dust off.

I can see it going well in a "themed" concert, but as individual concert item I say, "Off with its head....."

16. alks

alks Member

Ok,

Just download the free Stephen Rockey arrangement and give it a go. Have played it several times and it is great!
    List of Free Music

Enjoy

17. jobriant

jobriant Member

Thanks for letting me know of this additional arrangement. I see that there's an MP3 to hear it as well. I'll have a look & a listen.

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

18. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Steve Roberts arrangement stems from the original Fine Arts Brass arrangement. Steve expanded for his brass band (which I played for) and was done for UK entertainment competition. In some ways similar to Sky & Ray Farr's treatment of the Bach Tocatta. If you want something slightly different just ask Steve he's prolific in arrangement and I'm sure would knock up a style you prefer. HneryVIII won't complain.

19. jobriant

jobriant Member

I like everything about the published Roberts arrangement except the rock 'n' roll drums. My intention is to purchase that arrangement & re-write the percussion.

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

20. MalWel

MalWel New Member

We have a good arrangement in our library by a local arranger David Lancaster of York University. Not sure if it is widely published but could contact him. It is suitable for lower section bands as well.