Passing of David Owen ('Tojo')

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by MoominDave, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It doesn't feel like I'm the right person to be doing this, as I'd never met him in person (only online), and he was evidently very well-loved by those around him. But there's as yet no thread announcing this, and despite the news appearing on Facebook, there are probably people here who don't know yet who would like to know.

David Owen of Northop and formerly Point of Ayr for many years (known as 'Tojo' to many, including us on tMP) passed away suddenly a couple of days ago, at the age of only 51. I can't do better than reproduce the note that his friend Ron Rees Davies posted to the 'Bass Players Union' group on Facebook:

Tojo (David Owen) formerly of Point of Ayr Colliery Band (where he was an inspiration and mentor for me and many others) and more recently Northop Band passed away suddenly on 15th December and will be sorely missed in North Wales (especially with his passing so soon after his friend and PoA colleague Jim Mealor) and in the wider banding world.
    My thoughts go to his family and friends.

RIP Tojo. Taken far too soon.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Owen
    Ron Rees Davies
    Jim Mealor
    RIP Tojo
    Point of Ayr Colliery Band
  3. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Thanks for posting this Dave. Yes, taken far too soon. Still in shock at this. :(

Superb bass player, awesome sound and top bloke. Thanks for all you did Tojo. RIP.

4. jamieow

jamieow Member

Was shocking news to hear on Monday....
    Especially after receiving txt messages from him during last week and over the weekend (our usual Man Utd v LFC banter - he was loving Liverpool's revival this season) and having a brief facebook chat with him on Sunday eve.

A truly wonderful bass player, committed bandsman and a genuinely nice bloke.

A massive loss to his family and friends (who were many), Northop band and brass banding as a whole.

RIP buddy.

5. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I echo the above comments. He was a complete bandsman and will be greatly missed.

6. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Played alongside him for a short period at Llanrug a few years ago, great man and player. Greatly missed :(

7. Mephi

Mephi Member

David was a good friend to me during my year as top man at PoA (97) and for ever after. I always hoped that I bumped into him at contests, not literally though, as that would have hurt far too much!!
    RIP Tojo, you'll be missed by many.