Passacaglia on a theme from Brahms

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Carina Halliwell, Mar 7, 2003.

1. hey, so what do you all think of this test piece - I personally think its *beep*

EDIT: Please refrain from using bad language on theMouthPiece.com - that's not what we're here for

Well at least playing it is! I dunno bout listening it though.

I prefer Celestial Prospects for the 2nd section and Lydian Pictures for the 4th section

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    theMouthPiece.com
    Brahms
    section
    EDIT
    color
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I loved playing it and I was also fortunate enough to be able to to rehearse a 1st section band on the piece :wink:

4. Heather

Heather Member

I've had a really dodgy recording of it on a cassette for years and always used to FF when it got to Passacaglia so I was not too happy when I learnt we had to play it for the areas!
    I actually like it alot now and the Band like it too.
    I think there is alot more to it than just a big blow!

5. ABERDEEN LOON

ABERDEEN LOON Member

I must admit tht when I first heard it, my respose was, "HHHHMMMM?"

Now that my band has been playing it for about 2 months, I like it a lot!

Certainly better than some I have played over the last few years.

Andy. :D

6. robbie

robbie Member

Passacaglia

First time I heard the piece I thought I was gonna be bored stupid rehersing it for a contest. But when we got playing it, I found I really enjoyed it...its been great playin it and it should be a great day in Blackpool on Sunday.
    Rob

United Coop Band (Crewe)

7. Owen

Owen Member

From my "post-match" perspective, I can't remember rehearsing a test piece that had so much music in it to be drawn out. Agreed - when we first played it through it did not seem fantastic to me, but once you notice the details and begin to pay attention to them, the transformation is pretty amazing. It is also surprisingly more technical than it seems and I think that all players need to know exactly where every note is on their instrument to be able to get through unscathed (loads of augmented fourths) and if you can't double tongue you are lost (especially on euph & bari).
    My summary - (unusually for a test piece) a great test of technique and musicality!

But that is just my humble opinion!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

The strange thing is - Most people don't seem to like their test-pieces at first. Perhaps this is an indiviuality issue - i.e. because they can't choose the pieces them selves they have it in their head that they "Wont like the piece". i mean, with our band (YWBD), we didn't particulary like "Celestial Prospect" at first- but now, we think its great - so, its amazing how much your opinions change! :wink:

9. I find that, pieces grow on me. And as soon as I no longer have to play the piece, I get all "grr I like the piece now!"

It's like at the end of a nash course....I can't stop singing the pieces I hated to begin with!

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Translation problem: English for "Nash" please!!

11. Nash is short for national....duh.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    theMouthPiece.com
    Brahms
    section
    EDIT
    color
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well I don't speak fluent drunken sleepless welsh! :p:p:p:p:p :lol: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Heather

Heather Member

I remember when we had to play 'Purcell Variations' at the areas a few years ago.
    I loved that piece from the first time we played it to the last.
    Felt the same about 'A Salford Sinfonietta' too.
    I think its beneficial to dislike a piece from the start and gradually find it grows on you. I suppose it means you're actually getting into the music and bringing out the finer points.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Couldn't agree more! You need to forget any preferences again the piece and just think of the music itself - not your view!

16. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

one piece like that for me was sword jewel and mirror, absolutely fantastic. I won on that with Ibstock 3 years ago then the composer Philip harper asked us to play it for him at a concert....... it was great!

17. Soppy

Soppy Member

Hi,
    I actually like Puscliaga or whatever it's called! :D That is though because I've only heard it. I'm in a dodgey 4th Section band, and so we're playing Lydian Pictures for next weekend. It's quite good actually (when played properly), but it ain't half exposed! The slow movement in the middle seems to be a solo everytime I play, everytime the solo cornet, Eb Bass and horns play!

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

You're a sop, so aren't you supposed to be exposed - isn't that why its written to go high - so they can hear you!! :roll: :wink: :lol: :eek: :? :D

19. Soppy

Soppy Member

Yessss! But, not THAT exposed. It's like a Solo. There's a difference between exposed and exposed. You're always exposed when you're high, and if you have a weak front row you're exposed too. You can be heard most of the time anyway if you play it right, but not as clearly as LP!

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

WELCOME TO the Mouthpiece.com, I've only just seen that you're new - so Hi!!!!

Erm ..... whats LP? And, I feel sorry for you if you have a weak front row - our front row is really strong - and so our sop (What Sharp?) tries to overpower us anyway, with quite a success :cry:.

21. Soppy

Soppy Member

Thanks for the welcome!

LP= Lydian Pictures

We haven't got a weak front row now, but last year we had. It was our first year of contesting. I was given half of their stuff to play too. I successfully overpowered them then. This year thankfully, they're much better!

22. HBB

HBB Active Member

Bet you still try to overpower them - it's in Sop players "genes"! <No offense to your front-row!! :p:p>

Thanx for the Translation = my "Soppish" isn't up to scratch!!