Part Albino Blackbird... anyone seen one of these before...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 6, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Took a few shots this morning and this critter turned up. I thought at first it was paint on it's neck, but alas not. I have since discovered it's a part albino Blackbird. How cool is that eh!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's certainly very unusual, but not a true albino as they have pink eyes.
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

there was a picture of an albino blackbird in my GCSE science book-I thought it was a typo-or someone having a laugh!
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Its the Michael Jackson of the bird world!
  5. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Seen one of those John, also took snaps of a couple of birds just abit smaller than a Sparrow, these where feeding with the sparrows but I thought I would send an Email to the Bird people but heard nowt back, take it they are sparrows.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

They're quite common I've seen quite a few in my time out on various fishing trips. There is also the related member of the thrush family called the ring ouzel which is almost identical to the blackbird but with a white collar. There is a school of thought which says that the birds like those pictured are a result of years of interbreeding between the two species.

As always John, nice photos. What's the lens and exif data. I found a Robins nest in the garden at the weekend and I was hoping to get some good shots of the birds. Hopefully the weekends snow won't have put them off breeding.
  7. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

ive seen one

he regularly sits on my nans back fence : D
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey John

Thanks for the comments, always like to post a few shots on here every now and then. Thank gawd for photography eh!!

I guess I used save-as which extracts all the EXIF data from the image. Here you go;

Olympus E-3 with Oly 70-300mm lens and 1.4x teleconverter
    1/200th @f7.3, ISO800, focal length of lens at shot = 304mm

Photo was taken through double glazing windows hence the misty effect. I know I could PP with USM to remove this but didn't feel the need in this case.
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member