Pants on the ground

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Jan 14, 2010.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground
    Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground
    With the gold in your mouth, hat turned sideways
    Pants hit the ground, call yourself a cool cat, lookin' like a fool
    Walkin' downtown with your pants on the ground. Giddy-up!
    Hey, get your pants off the ground. Lookin' like a fool
    Walkin', talkin' with your pants on the ground. Giddy-up!
    Hey, get your pants off the ground. Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground.
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Erm...Pat... did you forget to take your medication? :-?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ian, I think Pat's trying to quietly introduce his country's latest singing sensation ...

4. DublinBass

Well it is a Random and off-topic thread!!!

I take it you didn't watch American Idol on ITV2 tonight?
    Larry Platt is the next William Hung...only better!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry Pat, not my cup of tea I'm afraid!
  6. DublinBass

Not normally mine. I like background noise when I mark papers, and got quite a chuckle out of this one!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It would be good to see the guy do well, just to rub their noses in it, lol! :cool:
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I saw this last night on American Idol on ITV2. It made me chuckle.
    Seriously, I do hope this catches on. I have always thought that ridicule is a powerful tool to stop undesirable behaviour.
    All too often our schools try to harness, but end up glorifying anti-social street behaviour. Letting Rap take over music lessons, teaching Graffitti in art lessons and incorporating hooded tops in school uniform has to be wrong.
    If we took the mickey out of every chav and belittled any street talk or gang culture behaviour then we would soon see results - and they might actually pull their pants up.
    Things like tv advertising and kids programs would be an excellent vehicle. Instead of the portraiting the studious, well behaved kid as the Nerd they should start start portraiting the 'cool' street kid as the idiot.
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

95000 hits on Youtube already.

Download number one next week :wink:
  10. still learnin

still learnin Member

I sort of want to agree with you but will feel really old if I do!

In the not to distant past youngsters have gone for - drainpipes, hipsters and flares, they've been Teddy boys, hippys, mods rockers, skinheads, etc., etc. Aren't they all examples of new generations trying to express themselves and be different from their parents?

Go into the average local pub and look around, most of the trend setters eventually end up looking remarkably like their parents at some stage anyway. With the exception of the pants on the ground brigade and a few Goths, etc. I think that people in their late teens and early twenties now dress more similarly to their parents than they have since pre war times. I.e, most people dress casually in jeans and sweat shirts or similar. My dad never owned a pair of jeans in his life and thought that they were American rubbish that would signal the end of polite society as he knew it.

I bet todays youngsters will cringe when they see pictures of themselves from the 90s amd 10s in 20 years time. :oops:
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well I am old so I have no problem saying it.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying - I cringe when I think of the flares and kipper ties I wore to school in the mid 70's and the clothes of my 'hippy' period.
    But todays pants around your knees and no shoelaces is a glorification of prison dress when belts and shoelaces were confiscated. Hooded tops and baseball caps are worn to prevent identification from witnesses or CCTV.
    Its akin to if Nazi regalia were in fashion - the wearing of them would go a bit beyond just being young and fashionable.
  12. still learnin

still learnin Member

I reckon they just want to be different than we are and to shock us a bit. Think of the reaction your granny had when she first saw first saw young girls wearing mini skirts (best not think of your grandad's reaction!!), what were they the glorification of? We odies have to have something to be shocked by and turn our noses up at. It's a fad I'm sure.

Anyway, what's wrong with kipper ties? People look at mine very admiringly in business meetings!!
  13. DublinBass

FYI...I believe the "pants on the ground" fashion statement started in prisons. Male inmates would wear their pants low to "offer" themselves to other male inmates.

Somehow, it entered popculture through the lower-class, deviant medium and then thrived in other areas as being rebellious.

I could go on with hypotheses...but I'm sure it'd be quite unPC
  14. still learnin

still learnin Member

I didn't know that!! I wonder how many of the guys who wear them do! Mind you I'm naive, I didn't realise the significance of the different colour hankies hanging out of pockets in certain bars in Brighton!
  15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

'Cos it hides your psychedelic shirt....

(Guessing.... ;) )

(PS - I've still got 2 '70s kipper ties, and a George VI Coronation tie - my late granddad's - that's even wider :eek: - what goes around, comes around...)
  16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Mr Hankie Naive says - tell me more!!!
    (Not that I'll be in a Brighton bar anytime soon, but forewarned...)
  17. still learnin

still learnin Member

I've been told (but it could be a wind up) that different colour hankies left hanging out of pockets indicate different levels of availability, e.g. one colour might be "in a long term partnership, not available", another could be "I'm in town looking for fun".

Can't pretend to know the details of the code (if it exists) but if I had to go there I wouldn't take a hankie, just in case. Wouldn't want to send the wrong signals!
  18. DublinBass

I think they are also different colored bracelets that secondary students wear to let other students what they are willing to do (how far they are willing to go).

e.g. yellow = hug, pink = give a hickey, orange = kiss, glittery pink = flash a body part, etc...
  19. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I've lived in Brighton for 25 yrs + and never seen that.
  20. still learnin

still learnin Member

Perhaps you don't go to the right bars Andy (or the wrong ones depending on your viewpoint). It was explained to me by a (seemingly) well informed work mate who lives in Lewes.