Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Sep 8, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Forgot to share this before but I went paintballing a few weeks ago and it was the best fun ever!
    You get to dress up in camouflage gear and run round the woods with a gun! Shooting at people!:D
    I got bored of being a good little grunt hiding behind an oil drum sniping at people, and went for the full Arnie-style rampage towards enemy lines. Y'know how he never gets shot when he does that? It's *******s. I got shot loads. Even by my own side. And yes, paintballs really hurt. The bruise on my leg has only just faded after 3 weeks...
    Check out this link. How many war films can you and your friends re-enact in just 3 hours? :rolleyes: Maybe we could decide the next area championships with paintballing instead?
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If you enjoyed that, then you should take a look at Airsofting. Very realistic guns, of all modern types, including pistols, not as painful and no mess. There are Skirmish sites all over the country, some sites even organise games storming planes etc. And it's a lot cheaper to play too. :)
  3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

i went once the most it hurts is when they don't pop as they hit you just bounce off! Ouch! i only had one tiny bruise after paintballing was a laugh!!!
  4. Bungle

Bungle Member

I've done it once on a company outing, great fun. Not recommended close to a band job as you can get hit on the hand. I did get hit on the face guard and the paint went across my eye, not too babdly, but I got the organisers to wash it out, as they were prepared with eye rinse bottles. It also highlighted how easy it is to get shot by someone so havn't even seen. It's given me even more respect for our groops in the Gulf and Afganistan.
  5. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Having run a 'bootleg' paintball field (on public land) around 11 years ago, I can honestly say that there is no danger whatsoever in playing paintball - providing the players all have the proper safety gear. A good fitting set of safety eyewear is essential - having paintballs breaking with unprotected eyes is very risky at best. I prefer to use a pair of Scott goggles with a Cool-Pro 'mesh' face guard. See picture HERE

Another solid rule is to keep a barrel-plug installed unless you're on the field with a game underway. This will keep the paintballs from accidentally discharging in a 'non-gaming' area, where people might not be wearing eye protection.

Also - wear a couple layers of loose clothing when playing - it'll cushion the sting you're being hit... as well as might cause more 'bounces.' Hey - if you're not marked, you're still in the game!

Enjoy paintball - it's a lot of fun... although yeah, it can get a little pricey. In my picture, I'm holding about $850 worth of 1994-technology Sheridan VM-68 hardware.
  6. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Paintballing is fantastic until you get shot in the buster gonads! I think I got shot more times of the people meant to be on my team than the others!
  7. bigmamabadger

The gentlemen of our party (I use the term loosely) were warned not to climb the trees as this presents a perfect target for shooting in the whatsits...
  8. cornetgirl1

cornetgirl1 New Member

never been paintballing but a huge fan of counterstrike , must try it sometime!
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Nooooooooooo! Don't go painballing. You don't want to spend a fortune running around with a lump of plumbing covering people in paint. Go Airsofting. Realistic weapons, rifles, pistols, sub machine guns, shotguns,etc., firing 6mm plastic pellets, at a decent range 50m+ , that only sting and don't make a mess. You can hire the kit at most sites and it is far far cheaper to play, even if you hire all the gear. You can find a site that has buildings etc for the Counterstrike atmosphere. Some sites run 'themed' days, with specific objectives to achieve. Others even run events with a sci-fi basis with people playing in 'character' with puzzles and such for you to solve before moving forward in the game.
  10. bigmamabadger

You offering to lead a banders outing the Rapier? :D
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Nah, you lot couldn't handle my Ninja skills. :cool:
  12. bigmamabadger

OK, all of us versus you. :rolleyes:
  13. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

It's also a poor tactical choice, as once you're discovered, you're now at the mercy of those who may not be able to resist the urge to 'light you up' as you're attempting egress from said tree-borne position - usually with little or no cover as well.

I was fortunate enough to have never been shot in the junk, myself... but just in case, it pays to take appropriate action in protecting one's <ahem!> interests by wearing appropriate safety gear. It's a much more enjoyable experience when only the [paint-filled] balls get broken.

If you're my size (1.98 meters & 21.5 stone), apparently you also will be 'too big to sneak.' I was informed of this by someone yelling across an open area of the field one time when I was trying to get from one big bush to another without making noise.
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Paintballing's cool, I've been a few times...funny how you forget just how much it hurts until you step in to the arena the next time!! :-?

Must have a go at this Airsofting!! It sounds good!! :p
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I went with a stag party on saturday, great fun but I'm suffering now, 2 bumps on my head and 21 other bruises (that I can see) and I got away lightly! One of our party got one right where it hurts! Our steward was saying, he was shot at point blank range there by some little so-and-so that was pretending to be hurt on the floor, he ended up in hospital for 4 days!
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I was banned. I don't like to talk about it...
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've only been on an airsoft mission at Cluny Clays with some workmates. Great fun in 5 different environments storming or defending positions. Fully kitted out in tank suits and well worth the money. We might go up shortly for the Sunday spectacular ... £40 each fighting all day against individuals and teams from all over Scotland.
  18. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i had the opportunity to go paintballing a few months ago, which i took. so i went paintballing, and me being the most likely to be injured did just that. it wasn't a very nice day, rainy and the place was just waterlogged, and extremely muddy. at one part of the place we had to walk through the mud was so deep it went over the top of my boots and wasn't very nice..

however the day was quite fun, and i got shot in the neck by a paintball which hurt, and on my back in several places due to covering a lil girl who had got hit in the throat and couldn't breathe (the game was stopped while she was looked after then restarted again).

it was a right laugh, and then the funniest part (Which still makes all my mates laugh).. i was running, and shooting... and doing really well, and then i slipped and fell and slid down a hill on my shoulder. it was fun... but then i couldn't move my shoulder.. not so fun.
    that was the end of my day playing.. and i had to drive home too, which was interesting haha! they wanted to ring an ambulance for me but i was having none of it (id only hurt my shoulder afterall i wasn't dying!)

so i got home had a shower and got my dad to take me to minor injuries (who then sent me to A&E because they were closing). as it turned out i just hurt the tendons or ligaments or some random muscles in my shoulder... so.. then i had to have loadsa painkillers and anti-inflammatories, and i had to get a doctors note incase i wasn't able to play in the areas, which just happened to be the week after paintballing.

note to self: going paintballing the week before the area's is not a good idea.
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its great fun for sure. But at times it can really hurt. The first time I was "shot" the paintball hit me between my mask and my overall, straight in the throat, on my voicebox - damn that stung! On the same day, I was "defending" a tactically important hut :rolleyes: and I was hit across the knuckles by a paintball. It didn't break properly when it clipped me, but on it's passage to the back wall of the hut, and ultimate splatation, it neatly removed the skin from two of my knuckles. That hurt rather too.

Great fun, just don't do it on the hottest day of the year, in a charcol lined army surplus overall (as we did) especailly with a hangover. Dehydration is not a good state to fight a war!