Pain in the Neck!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScreamingSop, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

I was involved in a bad carcrash a few weeks back and am on the road to recovery.
    Unfortunatley tho i lost my two front teeth and am in the process of getting crowns, implants fitted.
    ive tried playing lately and have encountered a horrible pain on the left hand side of my neck which really restricts me playing anything over a middle C. which is not that handy considering im a soprano player.
    Two questions folks, will i be alright to play back on soprano once ive got my implants, crowns are fitted and Does anyone know what this pain is and how to get rid of it, it is really quite painfull and want to get playing soon, what with uni and some good contess coming up.
    all help greatly apprieciated
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

(gives a new meaning to your username, eh?)

Were you checked for a cracked jaw or a misalignment? Could be that the pressure from playing (either internal or external to the mouth) could be making something move that shouldn't. Even a little misalignment in the joint near the temple can cause quite severe pain, although I wouldn't call it exactly the "neck". Maybe one of the more medically inclined tMper's could give more information. You should probably mention it to your physician on the next visit.

I have partial crowns on both front teeth (the result of an unfortunate encounter with a croquet mallet in my youth). I had to learn to adapt, but all the skills eventually returned. Might be a little more difficult for a cornetist, but should be possible. My biggest problem was that the caps were not quite the same size or shape as my teeth had been, which seemed to make my lip fatigue much faster. Took about six months after the permanent replacements were in to feel completely comfortable.
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think you should definately talk to your doctor or fysiotherapist about this! You could take your instrument with you to show when this pain occurs.

I hope you get better soon...
  4. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I went to see Will (also in the said crash, folks) this afternoon in Hospital, and he was complaining of neck pains too... (cue Twilight Zone music)
    Seriously though, you should definitely seek some medical attention for this.
  5. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Not seen you since you got in the ambulance fella... hope you're feeling ok?? Been with Alex and Will most days... Im sure Uni will be sympathetic with your playing situation... hey, and thats all of us gettin jip from our neck now... Sounds silly to say that you got off lightly doesnt it?? Guess we were all lucky in a way...

Take care of yourself... cya soon.
  6. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yeah i went to see both of them a few times, whn i wasnt in bed feeling awful, lol.

Main thing is tho that we were lucky, hope your ok too mate, could have been much worse cudnt it??
    And ive got a great scar to show off, hurts like hell at the moment and looks a state but hey....

Neck thing muct be the whiplash or sumthin, mine kills along with my back
  7. Di

Di Active Member

This is the first news i've seen about this accident and i'm sorry to hear about it, but glad to hear that you're all recovering. I think Jans suggestion of taking your instrument and demonstrating the problem to the doctor is a very good one. It seems the best way to get a point across and explain the problem. Hope you're all soon fit and well and that you're playing again soon. :p;)
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If it hurts to play - don't play.
    See a doctor about it.

Unless you have got medical knowledge/assistance close at hand, I wouldn't take the risk. You could do yourself all sorts of damage without knowing about it.
    Sorry to be the bringer of potential bad news. I was forced to take 3 weeks off playing during my final year at university, it was the most frustrating time I spent there. I was worried that I wouldn't get back up to the necessary standard etc. It got back to where it needed to be, but it did take time and a lot of effort.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to play at the moment, but don't force it back. A little patience now could mean that you are avoiding doing yourself any further harm in the long run.
  9. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yeah think im gonna have to, shame tho, so frustrating!!
  10. horn1

horn1 Member

Yeah, it's best not to try playing too soon (even though we can't wait to see you back at band! It's not the same without you or Alex! :( ) . I'd go see your doctor if I were you honey, it can't be good if it hurts. Chris Reedy had a problem with a dislocated jaw so it might be worth speaking to him to see if it's a similar pain.
    Anyway I thought your hair suited you! The scar will make you look interesting!! It was great to see you on Sunday by the way!
  11. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Aww my poor babe. U didnt tell me about ur neck. Like i said the other day, just take it easy and try and be patient. If ur too bored not playing u could always do some of my arranging, im getting bored with it now. hehe
    Cant wait to see u back at uni though sweetie, its just not the same in the Pint Pot without u!!
    Look after urself, speak to u later.

12. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

awww thank you peeps,
    wanna get back in time for preston mrs rathbrn so im gonna try and get this sorted asap.
    booking a doctors appointment tommorow and gonna chat to him about it, also wych is helping me get back on form and we r chatting to martin winter, who lost his front teeth and is still amazing about stuff.
    its gonna take a while, just hope i dont have to change intsrument, but if its nessesary then thats it aint it. the horn it would be! (im an Eb at heart)

and you guys at uni, THANKS FOR SIGNING THE CARD, it was great im missing you all and i know your missing my sublime playing (no comments folks) and i promise i will be back in the famous pint pot soon

get back folks
  13. horn1

horn1 Member

of course you're Eb at heart (it's the best!!) just don't go nicking my seat :)
  14. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

hehe we could share it!!
    play a note each, probably a bit harder when theres semis tho, or even demis!!!
  15. Terrible Tuba

Terrible Tuba Member

Season of good WILL have a heart

Really good to see you all recovering from what could of been a tragic accident, christmas is almost here dont we know all those carols played and still all those jobs to before christmas. Please spare a thought in your busy schedule for the one guy who is miles away from his family Wills on his own now still in hospital, he must be really fed up by now and thats putting it politely.
  16. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

whos this??

ive spoke to will and he is complete with zimmerframe now! and he is going home tommorow! yey!!! hes been in ther nearly a month and hes been great about it!

back home for his birthday too!
  17. horn1

horn1 Member

I'll let you have the semi's and demi's I don't like those!!!!
  18. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

he he, lukily i had a few front tooth put in yesterday (still waiting for the other one to be crownded) and playing is much better, my neck is huring less and less and the doc has given me more pain killers (lol!)
    so just fingers crossed that this tooth doesnt break off like the many others ive had done
  19. horn1

horn1 Member

You'll be able to smile again soon!!!!!
  20. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yeah, without covering my mouth!!!

or looking like a yob/skally