Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by debsjg, Dec 30, 2010.

1. debsjg

debsjg New Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the 1st Bari part to Pagannini is like?

Thank you :D
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just over A4 size, about 8 pages. All white with staves and lots of notes on it in black ink :)
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Seriously, if the look on our 1st baritone players face was anything to go by then I don't envy you. Its at times like this that I'm glad I play tuba.
  4. winterman

winterman Member

It's white and has lots of black lines and stripes on it! ;)

Seriously, it's a pretty well balanced piece of meat.. A little something to get your teeth into but not too evil (if my memory serves me correctly)..
  5. winterman

winterman Member

Bring on the Bass Quartet!! :D
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's not that bad...few bits of flying fingers but relative to some of Wilby's stuff it's eminently playable.
  7. lots of bits buried in the band. there's a couple of fast bars for both baritones in the semi-quaver runs, but nothing exposed and high.

i've seen worse!

it's worth asking who really gets in tough? it can't just be the cornets for the sectional bit, and the bases straight after.
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Bit of a graveyard for sop players; I have a headstone there, somewhere ... :redface:
  9. true. tenor horns and all the troms get it quite easy. sop, cornets and basses will sleep a little less!
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Its a lot easier than the cornet parts.....but then the 1st baritone part always is!
  11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Bass parts are nothing too taxing other than the aforementioned bars. In my view its the cornets, solo horn and euphs who get it tough.
  12. Perchead

Perchead New Member

Percussion parts are fab and what you would expect from a great composer.

Ps baritone parts always seem easy when you have a good player it's only when you are not as proficient you realise how effective this voice really is!
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

It was a little itsy-bitsy joke..... Wasted i see. I'm actually a good enough musician to understand your astonishingly obvious point. Thanks though.......
  14. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

Glad you can see the point, and I agree cornet parts are rock but looking forward to having ago!
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

16. Edit: some baritones could be the work horse of the band! :wink:
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Finally, a true expert has spoken.
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

In some people's hands its the braying donkey....:rolleyes:

19. on_castors

on_castors Member

Oh that's not even slightly contentious! ;-)

I agree, but isn't that because some of the time it's doing a Clydesdale cart-horse's job, on a Shetland pony of an instrument?

<Stands back, dons anti stab-vest>
  20. nethers

nethers Active Member

I played the barking-iron part to this a couple of years ago when I was young and foolish.

Mostly mid-range, playable and very tutti. Lightning fingers and 3 lungs needed for the finale.

Enjoy! If you don't know the piece well, it's a real treat to rehearse and perform. I think I've now done it 6 times through the years with different bands, with no disrespect to the music, I hope to not see it again for a while!