padstow lifeboat

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Sep 6, 2006.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

we've been playing padstow lifeboat in band and in concerts now and everyone thinks wow amazing a youth band playing this! But after a while it gets a bit boring!

if you have played what do you think?
  2. bigcol

bigcol Member

I played the wind band version at the weekend. I dunno about it - it's not Arnold at his best and it's a very jolly tune interpersed with some weirdness. Doesn't work for me.
  3. smaca

smaca Active Member

Wouldn,t like to play it every night, but is very effective in that a lot of the sounds the music makes(waves via the runs and fog-horns) make a lot of audiencies identify with the title and what piece is all about.A fun piece for concerts.

Some of the runs were nasty if I remember correctly!
  4. timbloke

timbloke Member

I love it. don't know why but i always enjoy playing it. I think it is the same with most pieces, they get a bit boring if you play them too much.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

To be honest its ok now and then but its a audience favorite i think.
    Not one i would take to Desert Island Disc Show
  6. wkt

wkt Member

I love it. It takes me back to the first time I heard Black Dyke, in Belfast in 1970. It was wonderful and I have been a pondasher ever since! I visited Padstow for the first time this year but the lifeboat wasn't in Padstow, but somewhere round the coast and not available for viewing (at that time) for some reason which I have forgotten. Had to settle for Rick Stein's chips - nice!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's always been an audience favourite!
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just makes me laugh! *hooonk*