Padraig Harrington tees off with Old Hall Brass

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by paulspud, Jul 15, 2008.

1. paulspud

paulspud Member

Old Hall Brass were proud and honoured to be asked by the R & A to perform at the Opening Ceremony of the Junior Open Golf Championships 2008 , to be held at the Hesketh Golf Club , Southport between the 14-16 July 2008.
    On a glorious evening the band, based at Crows Nest, Billinge, entertained the officials and players before and after the ceremony, as well as providing the music for the presentation of the competitor's badges during the ceremony. This presentation was made by Padraig Harrington, the current Open Golf Champion after his win at Carnoustie in 2007, who arrived fresh from his victory in the Irish PGA Championships.
    The Junior Open, held every 2 years, is closely linked to the Open Golf Championship , being held this year at Royal Birkdale, is an event for golfers aged Under 16, and 60 nations will be represented at the championship, with the best male and female golfer from each nation in attendance.
    Old Hall Brass next perform at The Swinley (formerly Swinley Labour Club), Coppull Lane, Wigan on 4th September, starting at 8pm. Tickets are £5 each, and can be obtained from the club on 01942 238134 or 01942 231134 (atfer 7pm), or from the band on 01942 715684.
    The band are currently looking for a Bb Bass and Cornet player. Please contact the band on 01942 715684 or via the website at www.oldhallbrass.co.uk for further details.
    (Picture shows Padraig Harrington with Old Hall Brass)

Attached Files:

2. Bungle

Bungle Member

There was a short clip of the band playing 'Ticket to ride' at Hesketh on BBC1s golf coverage this morning at 11am, sounded good. My Dads a member at Hesketh and I have played there a couple of times. Hesketh must like brass bands, as they also have a band play at their Christmas dinner.

3. paulspud

paulspud Member

Thanks for that, much appreciated! Were we just heard or seen? I missed the clip unfortunately. Wonder if anyone's got a copy????? Probably not able to get it on BBC iPlayer.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. Bungle

Bungle Member

You were both seen and heard, but there was no mention of the bands name. I will be up in Southport in two weeks time and looking at the open golf on the TV, I hope the weather improves by then

5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

And the great man has just one the US PGA!

3rd Major in 13 months, well done Paddy

6. JOHNSUD

JOHNSUD Member

It's the tips on putting I whispered in his ear that did it, he's never looked back since.

Seriously well done Padraig, it was pretty inspirational playing the job and then seeing him win the Open.