Paddy's Yorkshire Area - 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 13, 2010.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Off topic, but I think promotion should be based on placings at national level only. You can rise through the sections with average placings, never having won anything, or appearing at national competition level.

On topic, well done to all the qualifiers... :)

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Paddy's posted a few proposals on this very topic over on another thread about gradings not long ago. May be worth a look, folks?

3. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

You applying for the mods job there Mr Cook?

4. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

No, he's my new PR Officer... ;)

5. Bass Trom1

Bass Trom1 New Member

Sounds a good idea to keep Championship Section to 10 bands

Would help the quality of 1st section and others:clap:

6. yoda

yoda Member

And make it more difficult for 1st section bands to keep players who "only" want to play for top section bands..............

elitism sucks, but it is real :(

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

True, when I was a lad I loved my pretty good 1st Section (as would be in this day and age) band, but I yearned to walk on stage at the Areas with a top section band, so I left.
    I had a fabulous banding career in the top section, but always felt guilt about leaving a band where so many guys spent their free time teaching me and encouraging me.
    Eventually, about six of the lads they had trained gravitated to nearby top bands
    I still feel guilty after all these years, but what do you do when you are 15yrs old with ambition and you know your current band is not going to fulfill your dreams ?

~ Mr Wilx

8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I can confirm the above.

It sounds like this man has had too many pints of BITTER. First of all if you have ever watched any BBC News Report, Football Focus or MOTD you will know that the BBC are the most corrupt biased set of ******** there are.

Secondly the gentleman who wrote the article on 4BR has a boat load of experience himself and I would say has an equally respected opinion as the adjudcators considering his background and the fact that he runs the website

Thirdly what the adjudicators said on the stage and what they said afterwards was slightly different, on stage they were far more generous and encouraging, fair play to them, contesting is all about improvement and so the usual commentary was supplied.

I think instead of posting bitter comments you should try to focus on the fact that your band made a very good performance deserving of a place the top section, the term "country mile" was used as a compliment to the winning band, not as a derogatory term to the runners up, I have not heard a single person question your qualification, you should be proud right now, not bitter towards the winners.

9. BlowRob

BlowRob New Member

Brighouse, Grimethorpe, Black Dyke are worthy of the Championship section. As too are Drighlington, Hebden Bridge and Hade Edge.

Was Brighouse's winning performance a country mile ahead of Hade Edge's last place performance? You'd probably think it would be.

10. barrytone

barrytone Member

Was determined not to get involved in this debate, but feel I need to comment. Nuke is not bitter, the adjudicators said on stage there were two outstanding performances, worthy of championship section bands, they made no comment on the bands that finished behind them; except to say it was hard piece to play and many bands had obviously found it so.
    Neither adjudicator said that the winning band won it by a "country mile", this is the opinion of the writers on 4br, it is indeed high praise for the winning band, but not view of the adjudicators, their view is that both bands deserve a place in the championship section; which Hammonds now have alongwith Melthan and congratulations to both bands on this achievement.
    As for the comment by BlowRob, you certainly would expect Brighouse's winning performance to be a country mile ahead of the band in last place but not perhaps the band in second place; as is the case with the comment made by 4br about the first section result, so that is not really a fair comparison.
    Hammonds and Yorkshire Imps are going to the finals, congratulations to them both and further congratulations to Hammonds on their promotion back to the Championship section, where they do indeed deserve to be based on their recent performances. Let's look to the finals and to the two qualifiers to bring the trophy back to Yorkshire, good luck to both

11. BlowRob

BlowRob New Member

At no point was there intended to be any comparison between 1st and 2nd, I was replying to the comment asking if 2 performances can be worthy of championship status, how can one suddenly be 'a country mile' ahead of the other.

Another point that could be interesting, considering everyone except the 2 judges felt Hammonds to have won last year, what does the future hold for Meltham band? Considering many felt it a shock win last year, followed by 2nd to last this year, yet still gaining Championship status?

12. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I didn't listen to all the bands last year´╝î but I did listen to hammonds and wouldve hoped they'd have been better performance that day.

13. brassyorkie

brassyorkie New Member

Well said Barrytone. It was said on the day that 2 bands were worthy of Ch status which was contradicted somewhat by 4barsrest report BUT that is their opinion and they are very entitled to it. City Of Sheffield also played well under difficult circumstances leading up to the contest. Hammonds were good and worthy winners, and very well done to Imps as well who deserved their placing. The fact that 4, 5, 6.. 8, 9 e.t.c whatever may not have played as well according to the adjudicators is the reason for contesting and having adjudicators to judge it. Why disrespect a band after the contest? ANY band weather they are placed 1st 6th or last. there is no need for it

14. brassyorkie

brassyorkie New Member

Hammonds did not win last year. That is on record. they were 5th. end of. Though some of the results were 'a little confusing' last year we cannot change them. Meltham get promoted on this insane points system that means 15 minutes on stage in March can totally shape a bands future. They have less points than everyone else due to last years good result and therefore are promoted. well done to them for gaining promotion and good luck to them. As many know, it will not be easy 'up there'

15. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

They could always appeal to stop down.....

16. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Definately not bitter towards the winners and nothing about my original comment indicates that. Hammonds are an exceptional band that would have taken some beating on the day, and will definatley hold their own against anything the top section throws at them. I was answering another post that also pointed out the indescrepancies between what was said on stage by the adjudicators to the audience and what eventually was written on 4barsrest. Something that has been pointed out by quite a few people.
    In answer to everything else you've said. I am very proud of qualifying with Imps. It will be, barring unforseen circumstances between now and september, my first ever appearance at a national finals in any section. To walk out on that stage in Cheltenham will be the single proudest moment of my banding life.

17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Well said Rich!

Mind you.....last time I played at the Finals.....I had a tantrum over Imps winning! :oops: Certainly won't this year! ;)
    :biggrin: :biggrin:

18. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

Yep, no need to worry about another tantrum. ;)

19. brassyorkie

brassyorkie New Member

Who the hell do you think you are??????????????
    Thats twice in thread you have insulted Yorkshire Imps band.:mad:

Why do you feel the need to do that?
    Ex player?
    Someone in the band insulted you in the past?
    A player who thinks he's special?

Or are you just another anonymous (bariwizard, kingsmessanger e.t.c) poster who comes on to stir it up.

NO NEED FOR IT

There are some very good people and players at Yorkshire Imps.
    Give it a rest

20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Let's hope they suprise you SC, I fancy a Yorkshire 1st and 2nd this year at the nationals! I'm not fussy which way round the chips fall!

I'd have thought with a win at Bolsover, Creditable performance at the Scottish National (on two weeks rehearsal as a stand by band) 2nd and Butlins and 2nd at the Yorkhire Area you'd give them some credit!

I'll be rooting for the Imps come September, I was part of that national winning team last time, I know they have a team to do it again!