Paddy's Welsh Area - 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Well you were listening to totally different Cory than me. "But 5th for Cory was about right for me". You must be having a laugh, the standard must of been severely high if Cory deserved 5th. I would like to hear more why Mr Cosh placed them in 5th, it would be interesting.

2. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

I suggest you look back in history and see when Paul Cosh and the present conductor of Cory clashed, maybe foggy and distant but it is there, perhaps in Bristol?

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Don't see any reference to any adjudicators in there, so it is totally irrelevant what any of the above sources said.

4. eusebio

eusebio New Member

Sorry, you've lost me there. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.
    If, as I think you are suggesting, that no opinion is valid other than that of the adjudicator then there is little point in a forum such as this one nor in any discussions about any competitions, ever.

A 'shock' happens when an unexpected result occurs. Everton beating Man City was a 'shock' despite Everton being the better side.
    The 'shock' in this instance was because the general concensus on Twitter, Facebook and in text messages from people at the competition is very different to the actual result announced by the adjudicator.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but at the end of the day the only ones that count are the men in the box - if you don't like that and aren't prepared to take the unexpected results along with the good ones then you shouldn't be contesting.

The bigger 'shock' for me is how many folk think its ok to criticise the results and take away from the achievements of the bands that did win when theuyy either didn't hear every band or weren't even at the contest!

Huge congratulations to Tongwynlais and the other qualifiers :clap:

6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I knew it wouldnt be long before a "We woz robbed" would appear in one thread or another

7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

lets also remember 1 thing (and no names please) there are also a few pretty dire adjudicators as well as the good ones (no connection with this or any other contest by the way)

8. eusebio

eusebio New Member

Can anyone point to a critical comment? No, I didn't think so. Banding is subjective, everybody has a different appreciation of a piece. My post was quickly rounded on as some sort of Cory fan-boy unable to take a 5th place. I've no connection with Cory at all, nor any other band competing in this section, my post was one giving the results and commenting that they were unexpected - a bit of a shock.

Now you can't tell me that Cory (1-6 fav accirding to the light hearted opening post) finishing 5th isn't unexpected. It was also a surprise given the comments on social networking sites and banding websites during the afternoon to then see the placings vary wildly to the 'unofficial' predictions.

If one can't post such a comment without being accused of "sour grapes" or for being a Cory fan-boy then it really is no wonder that this thread has been so quiet throughout the weekend's proceedings.

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There was only one real shock in Wales this week end. Wales 30 England 3!

10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Poor adjudicator, not up to the job ;-)

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth! We would still have lost, but not such a thrashing.

12. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

"Forum: The Adjudicators' Comments
    Post, advertise and discuss competitions and results here. What did you think of the results...? Who should have won...? Who was the surprise winner...?"

Those are the terms of reference posted at the top of the 'The Adjudicators' Comments' forum; therefore in the context of this forum such comments are not irrelevant; especially when posted in a perfectly civil manner.

13. jamieow

jamieow Member

Congrats to Ton, Tred and of course Northop!!

14. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

I don't twit so I was blissfully unaware of the twitters as I sat through yesterday's performances.
    Am I the only person apart from Mr. Cosh who was left underwhelmed by Cory's performance? Where were the magical, shimmering ppp's we've been amazed by in the past? The lack of ambition in lower dynamics left me feeling that their performance was a little lacking in contrast, almost to the point of boredom.
    Were Cory a little blase going into yesterday's contest? It certainly seemed so.

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Who? Wasn't aware Northop Hall had a band...

I love that it's a shock because "various people on twitter said so" :D

16. back beat

back beat Member

I agree, I too thought that once again Cory were trading on their name and reputation. At last we had an adjudicator that saw through this and judged on what he was hearing and not by the audience reaction.
    well done Mr Cosh! and well done to all 3 qualifiers.

17. critic

critic Member

IWas not there but yes so many judge with there eyes and not there ears

18. eusebio

eusebio New Member

Not sure if you're being obtuse or not but the "various people on Twitter" were the only reference point I had what with me being stuck in work and not at the Brangwyn.

Would the point have been better made/understood/accepted had I said these people had text me, rung me or made their judgements known on here?

Anyway, that's me done here.

19. oliwlliams

oliwlliams New Member

I listened to every band apart from 1 yesterday, and the standard was out of this world! I listened with my ears as I am quite new to banding and was blown away by how good each band were on a very difficult piece. Needless to say the result surprised me as it was different to what I and many in the hall had predicted. But it isn't up to us, its down to the adjudicator :) Congratulations to all the bands :) And to Dewi from Tredegar for a well deserved best instrumentalist :) Wales have got a good grounding for the nationals.

20. thatbassplayer

thatbassplayer Member

I played myself mate with burry port, and every band i listened to managed to play the piece. No major disasters which is awesome as it was such a tough piece.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice