Paddy's Spring Festival - 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Oh well, 7th in the trophy isn't so bad I suppose. I think the band played very well, particularly Rhys on Flugel, and JP on Sop, (well done boys) so a top-half finish is just reward.

I didn't hear any other bands in the trophy so I've no idea what the standard overall was. I do think it's amusing 4br had us as high as 2nd though - Worth taking as a reminder not to put too much faith in their ratings on the day. Particularly on a piece like Benvenuto where so much is down to interpretation. You never know what the adjudicators are looking for.

First time I've been adjudicated by Linda Nicholson - though that said, I've never once had a duff result out of Stan and he's always talked a lot of sense afterwards when questioned - so if he says we were 7th, then we were 7th.

Thanks Wakey - it's been fun. Good luck. :)

2. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

I have to agree with Frank and David on choice of best instrumentalist in Grand Shield! I was sat near the front for Kirki's performance, and listening to the sop player pumping it out was exceptional!!

3. Di B

Di B Member

I don't need to gloat - you know I am more superior :p

4. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

I think your comments are bang on. My band didn't play as bad as the placing suggests but the guys in the box didn't like my 'orchestral' interpretation. Just shows how subjective it is when 4br had us as winners (and no money changed hands!). That's banding!

I have to say though Stan receives my prize for quote of the day "The winners won because they were the best band." Makes your heart warm!:p

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well, there's certainly no arguing with it is there!

Reminds me of a Whitham-ism I heard once.

Conductor (somewhat Irate) : "Mr Whitham! Why did you place our band last!"
    Geoff Whitham (Very calmly) : "Because you were the worst. Goodbye....."
    Legend...

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Could only have been bettered if he'd continued: "You are the weakest link".

7. agentorange

agentorange Member

Only heard Wakey in the trophy but i have to say mate, i was impressed. If 6 bands were better than you then fair play - they must've been very, very good indeed.

8. Rob

Rob Member

Steve's been for me the best sop player around for ages now and showed that at the weekend - unbelievable stuff! Congrats to Kirky, band sounded great. Well done to Reg Vardy as well, really tight, organised playing. It was great to hear Gaz Sykes again pumping it out at the back! Out of the two I heard in the Shield (Kirky and Vardy) Kirky were ahead for me on musicality, but it's brilliant to see both bands back at the Open.

9. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Spring festival

Well done to Dave Nesbitt at the Imps, a more dedicated conductor I've yet to meet.
    Now where are those headache pills.......

Adrian

10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thanks Rob it was great to see you again Mate! Always a pleasure.

Nice to hear about your Monkey Face too :p

11. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Congratulations to Reg Vardy and Kirky on your qualifications in the shield, such a tough competition so I know how pleased you lot will all be to have got out!
    Was my first time in the shield, have played in the Trophy before, but not the shield! Strange stage to play on, but really enjoyed it. Band played well (flowers) unfortunately not to how Read and Renton would have liked it!
    Congratulations to the youngsters of our band, Rep, Solo Bari, and Tuned Perc, who all played their parts perfect!

Also congratulations to the other bands in the other sections who gained promotion!

Back to blackpool it is again then next year, on the upside, at least we can have a summer!

12. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Except-woooooooooo-in 2001 both Kirky and RV qualified-but-and here's the spooky bit-the positions were reversed - wooooooooooooo:eek:

13. euph1991

euph1991 Member

Congratulations to the 2 bands qualifying for the Open, I felt really sorry for Pemberton on Saturday - I thought they would have took a qualifying place!

14. Thanks, we all hoped for a qualifying place and thought we had done enough to gain it but sadly this year it wasn't to be! Onwards and upwards as they say.

Well done to Reg Vardy and Kirky - didn't hear either band myself but have heard some very good comments on your performances!

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Thanks to all for their kind comments, the band are totally overjoyed with this result. I think it'll be at least another week before I come back down to planet earth.

16. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'd love to know what one of those is. Do tell?;)

17. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Its like a brass band interpretation but with more splits and a pay cheque!! ;)

18. Bass Trumpet

Lol :clap:

19. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Talking of which, you may be in the know, does that orchestra who does "Friday Night Is Music Night" Live from London on radio 2, sight read the rep?.....it's very often all over the place!!!

20. Bass Trumpet

The BBC Concert Orchestra is the only London orchestra I've never played with, so I can't comment.

However, I am interested in this 'orchestral interpretation' comment. Surely it's an orchestral piece? Isn't every conductor doing the same thing? Interpretation is surely one thing, but take too much license and you'll suffer in a contest situation.