Paddy's "Pa-cademy Awards" 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Jan 16, 2012.

?

What's the best night for a LIVE online awards ceremony

Poll closed Feb 1, 2012.
  1. Monday

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Tuesday

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Wednesday

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Thursday

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Friday

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Saturday

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Sunday

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

I've had a few people get in touch to say I should do Ricky Gervais style awards ceremony and so, hey, why not...

Firstly a poll. I'm going to annouce the award winners LIVE one evening (from around 8pm) in mid-late February and i'd like as many people to join me on the live thread (might even get a couple of acceptance speeches). So the poll question is which night of the week would be best - accounting for band nights, contests etc...

Now i've already had a few thoughts on some of the catagories up for a 'Paddy'...

Who saw that one coming? - most stunning (unexpected) victory/result
    We wuv robbed!!! - strangest result
    Player's Player award - who was the star of 2011 for you
    Legands Lane - The Pa-cademy's answer to a hall of fame or maybe a life time achievement award
    Smooth as a baby's backside - Which group of our unsung contest administrators deserve a BIG pat on the back
    Form Horse - Best band of 2011 measured against January expectations, or just most improved band

If you have any nominations for the above catagories then either post them here or e-mail please. Indeed you may have you own ideas for catagories, i'd love to hear them.

Nominations will close at midnight (GMT) Tuesday 31st January. Then we'll have some voting shall we?...

2. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Oh P.S.

I'd like some suggestions for who is gonna be our Jack Nicholson. Who's gonna be sitting in the front row at the awards ceremony with dark glasses and a big cheesy grin that the camera keeps cutting to for no readily apparent reason.

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Brilliant Paddy - I'll get my thinking cap on.

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Frank Renton :D

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'll nominate Peter Bates. And his trainers.

About to enter a well-earned retirement, he'll be sorely missed.

6. Richard Evans for the jack nicholson role!:cool:

7. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

A new one for you Paddy. Best bass section.........In Gloucestershire........in Chalford :). Ok ok. Just best Championship Bass section, best 1st (chalford), best 2nd, etc, a very fair one this, we lower section band bass sections rarely get a mention, so doing this will make all bass players very happy.

8. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Oh and smooth as a babys backside, those ladies and gents at Weston Contest, followed by Torquay, always really well run by happy smiley people.

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Who saw that one coming? - Carlton Main's 3rd place at the Open
    Player's Player award - Owen Farr...still pushing the possibilities of the tenor horn
    Legands Lane - John Todd (Kingdom Brass Youth Initiative)
    Smooth as a baby's backside - Brian Eggleshaw and the Butlin's Team.
    Form Horse - Transatlantic Brass...went from 4th section to top of the table in Paddy's Fantasy Brass Band League ;-)

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Since nobody else seems anxious to nominate...I'll add the following...

We wuv robbed!!! - Imps not winning Butlins 1st section in 2011

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ricky Gervais
    Paddy
    Pa-cademy Awards
    Player award
    Best band
  12. Who saw that one coming? - Ton Scottish Open
    Player's Player award - Routley, for not only being able to pedal, but still having the class voice
    Legands Lane - Daniel Thomas and Ceri Parry Morgan for the battle of the band geeks at NYBBW 11
    Smooth as a baby's backside - the SBBA in particular the contest organisation and running of the Scottish open
    Form Horse - Burry Port, giving it to BTM at blaenavon and winning the Burry Port contest. On two top champ test pieces might i add. must be their BBb bass player.....

13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Thanks Pat.

not sure for any of the others but for me one nomination has to be,
    Smooth as a baby's backside, The crew that organise the Scottish Open. really well run contest.

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Who saw that one coming? - Emley Brass band coming 7th at Grotton (Whit Friday) 2011/Baeumaris -4th at the Nationals!
    We wuv robbed! - Fodens - not being nominated on "4BR performance of the year" for their winning performance at the North West Area!
    Player's Player award - Kirsty Abbots - fantastic on many contest stages, and her Solo at BiC was stunning
    Legands Lane - Jimmy Shepherd - still playing like a dream, conducting two bands and doing well with both!!
    Smooth as a baby's backside - Ray Payne - every contest he works on is a joy to attend as a percussionist.
    Form Horse - Dronfield, moved to Yorkshire 4th section in 2011, sour grapes?? went on to win Butlins, runners up at the Yorkshire area, and a good result at the nationals, a brave decision well justified. . . .

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

We wuv robbed!!! - Both involving Eccles Borough Band.
    1. Coming 2nd overall at Droylsden whit friday contest...only to be told afterwards that the band was entered as a 3rd section band not an open section band. Suddenly moved down to 5th and Faireys up to 2nd (i think).

2. Their result at butlins.

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Paddy, you need an extra category. "The winning or placed band at any contest that took the most abuse from the 'We Wuz Robbed' brigade".

17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Having just got back from Butlins I'd have to nominate the ladies at the 1st section registration! Talk about jolly! and none of the usual "no playing" and " you need a new photo" junk whilst generally moaning and looking like someone gobbed in their tea! Made it a very relaxing experience. :clap:

18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Hmm - where did the grumpy man who told me off for playing 'too loud' (with a mute in!!) warming up for the 1st section come from then?! He then gave me a very patronising 'You wouldn't like it if you were on stage' speech..... With braces on (and a mute in) I am hardly known for my triple forte warming up routine!!

However, Butlins is easily the best run contest I attend over the year so another vote for : 'Smooth as a baby's backside - Brian Eggleshaw and the Butlin's Team'

19. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I can't imagine to whom you are comparing them. It's almost like you're suggesting that the L&SC registration team are a bunch of miserable so-and-so's who don't even let you break wind backstage. But then, you wouldn't dream of suggesting that and nor would I... ;)

20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

That will be for next year ;)

21. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

The buzz word being Man.... they were all jolly ladies when we registered.... but there were some proper "skelped-erse" (and male) faces there when we came off!

Ah Duncan.... you forget I'm yet to have that pleasure, having signed after last years L&SC area so I could compete in the Motherland before I defected! Sooooo looking forward to it, sounds delightful! ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ricky Gervais
    Paddy
    Pa-cademy Awards
    Player award
    Best band