Paddy's North-West Area - 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 13, 2010.

1. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

I heard ten bands in your section. I particularly liked the interpretation that the MD (Alan Widdop) gave. The solo cornet was superb in sound and style and the trombone section ‘sounded like a trombone section‘.
    Your performance was not helped by the air conditioning being turned up thus causing a few players to pick up their parts off the floor or playing holding the music.
    I did however have a score (the old one without the added percussion parts) and I would have put you 2nd out of the ten I heard.

A point that the organisers might like to consider was that the lighting was very poor for every band in the 1st and 2nd sections.

On the praise side, the selection of a decent test piece on the ear meant that for the Championship, 1st and 2nd section bands the audience numbers were increased significantly.

2. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Aww...thanks DobX Dave. I am glad someone else noticed that the music was blown off the stands mid performance.

Our principal cornet, Sarah is quite something else isn't she. You want to hear her play 'last post'. It brings you to tears every time

3. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

I was sitting in the third row, at one point the 2nd trombone playing was scrabbling around the floor for the bass trombone player’s music, whilst the bass trombone continued for at least 15 bars without music ~ but I guess he knew it well as he has been around for a few years.
    The euphoniums and baritones were constantly playing ‘one handed’ and holding the music with the other.

4. History Girl

History Girl New Member

Thank you so much for your comments, the Band played exceptionally well despite the problems with the air conditioning, Bass Trombone was exceptional, delighted with our result, first time in the Second Section in Uppermill's History. :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Well E Flat Fred, no first place my friend, and a row with your M D in public too.You tread a dangerous path.

6. Columbo

Columbo Member

Hiya Dave. Well done to Whitwerth!

Can you explain how the rankings work. I thought it was an average of 3 years not 2?

Do you have 4th Section?

7. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

It is Jason, you carry your last two with you to 2012 and then, add your score for 2012. By my reckoning, you are equal top ranked with Darwen on 13 pts. Ramsey have , I think , 14 pts , Coppull & Standish have 20 pts, Parr and port Sunlight have 21 pts. I'll stand corrected though by cleverer people than me!

8. Frontman

Frontman Member

Jason, this is a list that Tat has put together with an explaination of what may happen. Not guarenteed but on the lines which I think it will move.

As you will see the first number is the 2010 result, 2nd is 2011 and 3rd is total.

There is discussions to take place this year with Kapitol regarding increasing section sizes and not relegating anyone. Just for this year mind. With that in mind the top bands in the leagues, in this case the bands on 13 points could be promoted. This would assist the numbers as the two bands would not be relegated, ie. BMP Goodshaw and Hawk Green and Darwen and Golborne will be promoted along with Besses Boys, Boarshurst and Nelson. This way the 4th Section will decrease from 29 to 25 bands.

Hope this assists. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL BECAUSE KAPITOL MAY REFUSE THE AREA COMMITTEES SUGESTIONS.

Position `2010 2011 Total
    1 Darwen Brass 8 5 13
    2 Golborne 9 4 13
    3 Ramsey Town 12 3 15
    4 Coppull & Standish 13 7 20
    5 Parr 11 10 21
    6 BMP Goodshaw 12 11 23
    7 Hawk Green 12 11 23
    8 City of Chester 15 8 23
    9 Dobcross Youth 6 21 27
    10 Sale Brass 17 11 28
    11 Littleborough 10 20 30
    12 Greenfield 18 15 33
    13 Port Sunlight Lyceum 25 9 34
    14 Tarleton & District 12 22 34
    15 Valley Brass 12 22 34
    16 Ellenbrook 21 13 34
    17 Blackley 20 16 36
    18 Pilling Jubilee 14 22 36
    19 Rode Hall Brass 25 12 37
    20 Brindle 16 22 38
    21 Wirral Brass 25 14 39
    22 Denton 22 18 40
    23 Tottington 23 17 40
    24 Friezland 19 22 41
    25 Mereside Brass 25 19 44
    26 Carrbrook 24 22 46
    27 Barnton Silver 25 22 47
    28 Farndon & District 25 22 47
    29 St John's Mossley 25 22 47

9. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

If they dont go with the suggestion, and Golborne win the nationals......would that mean Nelson would not be promoted?

I guess i am saying that the three you mention being promoted are not set yet

10. Frontman

Frontman Member

The final list regarding promotion shows Besses Boys in first place and Boarshurst and Nelson on the same points in 2nd place.. Thus according to the rules these will automatically be promoted. If Golbourne win the Finals they will automatically be promoted as National Champions.

11. tat

tat Member

No the three are promoted by right, if Golborne were to win then that would be a bonus promotion, although I think James and Dave will try their best to prvent it

12. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

You know what Dave,when your trying to look for positives after a disappointing result. Parr are not in a bad position here, whatever happens with Kapitol. 15th in 2007, 18th in 2008, 17th in 2009, I can't remember the last time the band were so near to the top positions! If it goes the way you think it might, we would go into next years contest as 3rd highest ranked band!

13. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

you sure that is right?

This is what i thought happened last year -

Top 3 ranked bands & Hazel Grove after the area -
    Farnworth & Walkden 18
    Rivington & Adliongton 22
    Besses Boys 23
    Hazel Grove 28

Hazel Grove,Besses Boys,Farnworth & Walkden go to the Nationals

Hazel Grove win the Nationals and this prevents Besses Boys being Promoted as the 3rd band.

14. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

Only the top 2 go up, unless there is a tie on either 1st or 2nd. Besses boys were not in the position to go up.

15. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. No idea where i got that from!

16. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Just a warning to NW bands near the top not to get their hopes up for Kapitol agreeing to promote more bands - they've not done it in the past when asked for permission.

17. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Nice one John. Didnt hear you on Sunday, but going off your performance at Fleetwood last October which i did hear, you wont be hanging about in the 4th section for long what ever happens with the reorg of the sections. Parr were excellent that day and deserved the first prize.

Best Wishes

MD Darwen Brass

18. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

I would be interested to know how many bands have actually written in and voiced their concerns about the adjudication at the weekend??

I appreciate that there are some bands that deserved their placings and well done to you. I also have spoken to bands that know they didn't deserve to come where they did and that their remarks are nothing to do with their performance. Even those bands need to write in. Next year you may find yourself in a very different position.

Once again, the ideas put forward to Kapital will only be strengthened by you voicing your concerns.
    Remember this is not about having a bitter taste in your mouth or sour grapes, this is about trying to make this movement carry on and last as long as it can and for bands of all standards to carry on contesting and have some trust in the system behind it. Rather than what is happening at the minute. We give hundreds of hours away to our hobby and cause, yet many moan and do nothing. It will only get done if people are prepared to put their views and concerns to the correct people and now.

19. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

Thank you for your kind words Steve, regards to you and Darwen brass - doing a great job there.

20. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

I've spoken with our band and I will write tommorrow.