Paddy's Midlands Area - 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Only 17? somewhat less of a lottery than the 24+s of recent memory !

2. Rebecca Owen

Rebecca Owen Member

Ooooh exciting. Anyone prepared to expand on this?

Who are still entered? Anyone fessing up to withdrawing?

3. Rambo

Rambo Member

I'll have a sneaky £5 er on Ifton at 100/1 please Paddy ( 2nd in Preston on the test piece!)

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I've heard a rumour (unsubstantiated) that Desford have withdrawn ... ?

5. masefield

masefield Member

6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Interesting - and very heartening that the band is prepared to stick its neck out and make a protest of substance. All due credit to them.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

"Band Manager Peter Smith told 4BR: "We have decided to step down from this year’s Area contest as there is some disquiet with regard to the ‘clean sheet’ approach which has enabled double registrations.
    We have received 15 years of seamless and excellent service from Colin Johnson and his line manager Frank Hodges, and now the lack of transparency is of concern."

Anyone care to explain "clean sheet" approach and double registration?

I can understand that the implementation of a new registry has certainly allowed previous transfer to be wiped clean with the new card but "double registration"? Is this a concern specific to bands in the NW as the are accepting BBBR cards? Players holding BBP in areas where they are mandatory and also a BBBP in the NW?

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... If you actually believe that's the real reason behind the decision. Don't misunderstand; I'm not pretending to have "insider information" - I don't. I'm just naturally cynical ... :redface:

9. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Definitely won't be reveal the insider information (and any requests to will be ignored). But there are two fairly major reasons - one mentioned in the article near the end, and one not mentioned at all - why this decision has been made, and neither of them relate to registration issues as it initially appears. Registration provides an easy opt out (although to be fair, this reason isn't completely fabricated, the decision maker has been concerned about registration). I was loathe to even mention it, but I really didn't want this to descend into a brawl over registration without at least a better idea of how much complexity lays behind these sort of decisions. And it definitely isn't a swipe at Desford (who I have a huge amount of time for as a band, and as players). It's their call to make whatever decision they want, and public announcements are always going to try to keep the band making the announcement in a positive light.

10. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

that took you 12 lines to say "I dunno anything more than anyone else about it" !!!!

11. Gnats Crotchet

Gnats Crotchet Member

I don't think you will be alone in being cynical - unless Desford are going to come forward with more details of their concerns. I tried looking at the Desford web site to see if there are more details, but I can't find it. Google doesn't have it and brassbandresults points to http://www.desfordcollieryband.co.uk/ which is just a holding page for a web hosting company. Can anyone point me to their web site?

12. centralbankofdad

centralbankofdad Member

I think they are finding it increasingly difficult to put a band out for rehearsals and a contest. I can understand why they would not want to say that though.

13. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

What?

Why did you even feel the need to comment saying;

1) Im not going to tell you what i know - please dont flatter me even more by asking me to do so and also,
    2) Im giving you absolutely no credentials to suggest i know anything other than what Pete Smith has stated in his press release.
    3) You have a huge amount of time for a group of players who either wont thank you for this post if indeed they are your friends, or you have a lot of time for people you dont know.

you really are ridiculous.

14. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

If everybody ignored snoreus, he would soon "trot-on" and leave ALL music forums in peace................

15. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Just to clarify, Desford aren't struggling at all, they have a busy set of engagements (for them), and the players are very happy to be part of the band. The registry debate is simply a convenient way of choosing to put other things first for a change. Which is completely fine. There is only one reason for mentioning what I did, and that is that some people will quite clearly jump on this as some damning judgement on the registry thing, and life just isn't that simple. it isn't purely about the registry, and it also isn't about the band struggling. However much people want to have simple Daily Mail headline gossip.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Perhaps the Finals clashes with the Japan tour mentioned in the release. Just a thought.

Really good band - sure they will be back in good shape for Preston and beyond.

17. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

'convenient way of choosing to put other things first'. I don't know but it seems strange to mention it if it isn't a factor (note I say factor and not be all and end all) in their decision, surely if it was down to a packed concert and touring line up they'd just say that. Why bring the registry in? They would only be making themselves the current centre of attention for nothing.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  18. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

There's more than one factor in play here. As I said, this isn't simple. And an opinion on the registry does play a part - There isn't any lying going on from the band. Just a little 'public face of an announcement' for very good reasons. Desford are an excellent band, but running a band is never easy, and there are always complications however good the setup is.

19. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

If you are not prepared to elaborate on 'what it really is' then I shall just assume you have absolutely no clue whatsoever, and are trying to create a position of inside knowledge when either you dont have any or as is more likely the case, there is none to have on this subject.

Desford arent going, thats that and as John states, they will be at a contest again soon.

TTFN.

20. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

perfect summation of the situation
    and a good way to end. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice