Paddy's London & Southern Counties Area - 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 22, 2012.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What and who on earth are you talking about?

2. Warderloo

Warderloo Member

Aw fellas, seems harsh. He's just giving an opinion.

3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

So Zone One players don't get £500 each for the area? How disappointing to learn that they're not a bunch of mercenarys, hell-bent on bleeding the movement dry with their wicked non-heartfelt, Eric Ball-less playing ;)

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

There is a difference between being positive and being blinkered. I'm not saying there is a vast amount of money to be made, but there is no doubt that money changes hands and the band seen at the contest isn't necessarily the band the punters will pay their money to hear at subsequent concerts. I fully accept that some bands, perhaps the majority, don't go down this route, but it's a situation that's been discussed on here often enough.

5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

My Band Secretary bought me a pint when we got off stage ... Does that make me a paid "superstar" ? :)

6. chill

chill Member

There is also a difference in my opinion to paying people to play, who replace an existing player just for the contest (not something we ever consider), and paying a player dep fees where you have an unfilled seat. The later is something we have to do from time to time, this year we were fortunate enough to just need one dep to help on percussion.

7. Warderloo

Warderloo Member

Elvis, I'm afraid it does, please leave banding forever you pampered superstar.

We agree Wherryman, you don't have to persist or call me blinkered. I was responding to a comment about hiring "Superstars" and just said didn't think it was anywhere near as big an issue as might be thought.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  8. Warderloo

Warderloo Member

Sorry Alan, I've realised what you quoted isn't what I meant at all and is missing two important words, damn you my poor use of English!
    "I would guess that most bands have a large majority just 'members' on stage at the Areas with a much smaller number bought in" should have read "I would guess that most bands have a large majority of just 'members' on stage at the Areas BUT SOME a much smaller number bought in"! I wasn't suggesting everyone buys in, because they don't!

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Oh yes it is! Mwahahahaha

10. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

What an absolute load of rubbish! You need to take your Championship Section rose tinted spectacles off and realise that there are some very fine musicians (who, contrary to your opinion, practise just as much if not more than you do) and some very educated ears in the lower sections.

Your band has won a contest by convincing the only person who's opinion matters that your performance was the one he should send to the RAH as champions. You have absolutely no need to validate this by telling everyone that your competition thought so as well but please don't tell someone you don't even know that their opinion is invalid because they don't play in the Championship Section.

You're going to have to get used to the fact that championship contests attract more listeners and therefore more opinion than the others. If you can't take it then you're going to make yourself pretty unhappy.

There are far too many opinions like yours about lower section banding and the vast majority are really rather dull and pompous.

11. Martin

Martin Member

I can assure you Kinrao that my spectacles are anything other than Rose tinted, I came to my present band from the 4th Section and I am still very much in touch with my roots!!!! My comments were nothing to do with any of the other bands in our area, but to a person who, in my OPINION, was inaccurate in what he said. It's the same old story, if you throw stones be prepared for them to be thrown back and if you express an opinion, be prepared to qualify it.

12. Martin

Martin Member

Get him to teach our Band Secretary how to do that.............please :D

13. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

On a separate note, I see that, according to the 4BarsRest retrospective, Regent Brass played the central slow section with detached melancholia. I have no idea what detached melancholia is/are, and was wondering if anyone from the band - or anyone else - could enlighten me.

Yours puzzled,

Jim

14. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Being in a lower section band I wouldn't dream of giving an opinion..............:rolleyes: :clap:

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a bit like a detached retina

16. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

A detatched Rose-Tinted one maybe..............

17. Martin

Martin Member

Oh, go on! You know you want to......:D

18. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Dear Jim

I think that I once painted my front room with melancholia emulsion.

Maybe detached melancholia is one of those posh paints, like Farrow and Ball, for painting rich people's big houses.

You could try checking out their colour chart.

That's all I can think of.

Hope it helps.

Bob

19. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Maybe Peter Bale can answer that one ;)

20. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

Hi Jim, I've had a quick check on Wikipedia and 'melancholia' is the plural of 'melancholie', which is a cross between a melon and a cauliflower. Detached means that the taches were removed before cooking; they are slightly toxic, but apparently you would have to eat about 100 a day for 347 years to notice any effect.

Hope that helps, although I feel you could have really checked this for yourself instead of wasting my valuable time....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice