Paddy's Fantasy League: Best name competition

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Oct 22, 2010.

?

What's your favourite fantasy league band name

Poll closed Dec 11, 2010.
  1. 4 Bras & Vest Temperance Band

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Bogstandard Brass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Brickhouse & Plastic Band

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Chav Brass

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Chievely Services (Moto) Brass Band

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Chub Brass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fanfare North Crotchet Crunchers

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Guinness Users Temperance Social Band

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Heckingbottom's Large Tool Works Band

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  10. Kiss my Brass

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  11. Penwortham Pickle Works Band

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Pub Appreciation Society

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. RunnyEggStaines Brass

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  14. Split City Warblers

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  15. Vladivostok Tractor Factory No17 Welfare

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

I've picked out 15 of my favorite psuedo band names currently in the fantasy league and i'm going to run this thread as a poll until around mid-December.

Just like a league event, the best name will get 100 league points, 80 for second and so on.

OBVIOUSLY ANYONE CAN VOTE

OBVIOULSY ANYONE CAN JOIN THE LEAGUE AT ANY TIME by e-mailing me at the address in my sig

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Paddy Flower
    Plan A
    Fantasy League
    Paddy
    competition
  3. Ginge

Ginge Member

Is this not a little bit unfair??? When I entered the league the name of each individuals band had nothing to do with scoring points. The league could now by won by having a funny name. Not everyone has a fair chance of scoring points here!

4. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

I agree with Ginge.
    When on e entered the league there was no mention of this possibility therefore names wee chosen on a different level. Why have you only picked what you think are the best to vote on.
    Perhaps you are not aware of the subtlety of some of the names and the connections as to how they came about,

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like the name competition, but I do agree with the above that it should not be linked to league points.

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I entered properly early on and like a few others just stuck with using my tmp name. Thought it would make life easier. Maybe we should rename ourselves to compete? :roll:

7. Kjata

Kjata Member

Agreed, it's the same with me!

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

9. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

It changes the whole parameters of the name and surely we cannot allow this to happen to our league. Earning points this way surely must be wrong

10. MoominDave

Eh, Paddy, you've got a grassroots rebellion on your hands! ;-)

11. Trumpetboy

Trumpetboy New Member

Here Here! :p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Paddy Flower
    Plan A
    Fantasy League
    Paddy
    competition
  13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I disagree. The league isn't for money, it's just a bit of fun. If Paddy wants to give away points for the best name, so be it.

14. MoominDave

Brass band contesting's just a bit of fun too, not for money...

Not that I'm advocating taking it too seriously, like we do contesting, but it's a little bit annoying to be penalised for a completely arbitrary choice made well before it was made clear that any points would attach to that choice - I too stuck with my tMP username to keep things simple right back at the start. Voting on the best name is a great idea - but better not to award points for it, I think. And next year, I'll think of something more imaginative!

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

To be honest, I'm heading towards the same view with regards to contests. At least Paddy's approach would get some novel results.

16. tubaminstrel

tubaminstrel Member

Paddy didn't chose my name 'Why I Brass' but hey it's his (her?) league I suppose and just a bit of fun

As to only selecting 15 to vote from, you can only have 15 answers to a poll question.

Anyway we're all talking about the league and I guess that's what he and all of us want to get more people playing. Keep in up Paddy!!!

17. Di B

Di B Member

I actually want to know if we can change our bands names.....

A lot of bands do it out there - maybe a couple can gain sponsorshiop while ten lose it?

Maybe those that haven't contested in a while could be given the option to go down through the sections or fold completely?

I think a general rule needs to be made about withdrawing bands.... I think sometimes they cause too much hassle.

18. Paddy Flower

Gee Paddy's fighting a war on several fronts today ;)

OK, it was obviously not my intention to alienate people in the league. I ran the thread more to draw attention and publicity towards the league (and these efforts are paying off btw, new members joining all the time now)

I won't make a final decision on this, obvioulsy I thought it was a good idea but i'm going to let a few more people have their say before I decide what to do. Yes it's my league and I make the rules but it's no good if people are unhappy (apologies for that)

I'd be grateful for your feedback to my AGM thread as well if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42910

19. Paddy Flower

I don't mind people changing their band names as long as it's not a regular thing, so change away if you like. If I decide to run a similiar competition at the end of 2011 I may include it in my 15

Are you talking about 'the league' or reality here Di B?

20. Di B

Di B Member

Heh heh, well... both I guess, but I was specifically referring to the league.
    It must be annoying to get so much extra admin due to bands pulling out at different times. It would annoy me anyway :)

Ps. stated it as I thought this was your agm thread too *dyes hair* will now look for the appropriate thread!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  21. Paddy Flower

Oh, I get what you're saying, (real) bands withdrawing upsetting the betting slips. Well it can't be helped and I'm sure annoying Paddy was the least of their concerns in taking wd decisions.

When the league started I always tried to get betting slips out as soon as a line-up was available but now I do it with about 2 weeks to go (English Nationals would have been a nightmare of admin otherwise)

22. Paddy Flower

Paddy is making a ruling here, I'm going to stick to Plan A and award league points for this. Poll closes on 11th December

I understand the objections, so I have a solution.
    I will run ANOTHER league name competition starting in 14 days time (that's 18th November), any league player that didn't get included in the current poll can change their playing name (max 40 chars) and i'll pick my favorite 15 for another poll which will run until 31st December.

There, can't say fairer than that...