Paddy's Fantasy Brass Band League

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

You've heard of Fantasy Football, well this is Fantasy Brass

It's a bit experimental but i'm going to set-up a league and see how it runs. It should appeal to those who want a bit of value from their virtual punting AND is run along the lines of a Fantasy League, so you can...'enter as a fictious brass band, going to your area qualifyer, getting thru to London or being relegated only to be invited to the Grand Shield and securing a place at The Open' type of thing

IN NO WAY IS PADDY ATTEMPING TO RIVAL THE ESTABLISHED PREDICTIONS GAME ON tMP.

just e-mail me for more details

paddy_flower@yahoo.com

2. sounds a really good idea!! how would you rate players and how many do you have to choose from and how will they score points or is it you pick an existing band?

3. dave aston

dave aston New Member

What about setting up "Chub Brass".....a sort of Sumo contest for those of us who have slightly over indulged over the past decades.

I am banking on getting the second horn slot and turning out in the traditional Japanes walking out uniform with botty semi exposed...this would of course require a certificate of weight.....bit of problem.

In keeping with the latest change of rules, applicants would be required to have bulked up at least one week before the contest and any accidental weight loss (eg an unintended salad) would only permit the borrowing of a chub from the previous band.

This could introduce mandatory drug testing to banding to ensure that players had been taking steroids

4. Di

Di Active Member

I'll have ye banned man, banned I say. :ranting2:

Hehe, only kiddin'. :biggrin: Pop me down for some deets please. :)

5. Paddy Flower

For each section of each contest included in the game every player has TEN Paddy Pounds (#10.00) to bet on the entered bands. You can use you Paddy Pounds in any combination you like, put all #10.00 on the favourite or #1.00 on each of ten competitors. Each Paddy Pound bet is put into one large pot and used to pay-out on the contest winner (the largest portion) and the minor placings.

The pay-out system is similar to ‘Tote’ betting so it’s a good idea to check where people are betting from time-to-time to get the better value for your bets. ‘Dark Horses’ are more risky to bet on but you get more if they’re successful (even in ‘the places’).

Paddy Flower will give frequent updates on what is being bet and where.

You can enter Paddy’s League at any time by e-mailing 3 bits of info to me...
    • Your e-mail address
    • A name to play under
    • Your home ‘Region’
    Send your e-mail to…

paddy_flower@yahoo.com

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. Paddy Flower

Just a quick line to say how delighted I am that 13 people have entered the League in it's first 24 hours since launch and some are betting there cyber pounds already!!

Room for plenty more thou :)

7. Paddy Flower

Lol Dave Aston. Are you entering "Chub Brass" into the frey.

Just e-mail me, the more the merrier

8. dave aston

dave aston New Member

yes I am and semi proud of it!!

9. Zappa

Zappa Member

You're a legend paddy! Great idea! I'll be e-mailing you shortly!

10. Kjata

Kjata Member

Ummmm, I'm assuming I'm being dumb, cause I don't know how it would work?
    If someone wants to clarify (Paddy?) for a dumb bum, then feel free to email me or PM me.
    shafi_paul@yahoo.co.uk

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flower
    The British Open
    Di.
    Fantasy Brass Band League
    FONT=Arial
  12. Paddy Flower

I'm delighted to say that the league will make it's debut THIS weekend as we place our bets on The Tameside Open (all 4 sections)

I'm not sure how many members of the league will get their entries in in time as the deadline is 9.30am Sunday morning!!! But it's a start at least

Don't forget you can join the league at any time, e-mail paddy_flower@yahoo.com for more details

13. Paddy Flower

Just followed tMP lead and joined twitter.com

www.twitter.com/paddyflower

There I'll post regular updates on where the Paddy Pounds are being bet

14. Paddy Flower

There's less than 24 hours to go until 'betting ends' (as they'd say on 'Banzai') for our first event The Tameside Open.

26 people have expressed their interest in the league, which is excellent. 18 of those 26 have placed their bets and will be Fantasy League Pioneers tomorrow. I love some of the band names...

Entries received so far: BB Brass; Brasscash (Boddingtons) Temperance; Chav Brass; Cheesed off Brass; Chub Brass; Dalton's Quality Tuna; DMBabe; London Scottish Brass; MoominDave; Rainbow Brass; sbandsman; Shafi Brass; Something Else; Splittingthepack; Temple Brass (NI); The Vaseline Band; Vladivostok Tractor Factory No17 Welfare (my personal favorite); Zorba'a Army

If we get another 10 entries we will match the actual 28 bands that have entered the real thing

I'm waiting to hear from 'Finius P Cockwinkles Chutney Works Band' to see if they are about to come out of the contesting wilderness (great website btw if your haven't already seen it) (Link removed due to non-ff content)

Don't forget you can see where the Paddy Pounds are going on my twitter site

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  15. _si

_si Member

email sent!

16. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Can someone please explain howe it works.
    Thanks.

17. _si

_si Member

just email Paddy (address above) and he will send you all the info :)

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Didn't realise that your username was supposed to sound like a band name, d'oh...

Can I change it to
    The Minchery Farm Silver Temperance Colliery and Spoonworks Prize 'B' band
    please?

19. Paddy Flower

No. way too long Dave. Max 40 chars please (sorry to be a bore)

btw you can play under name you like, all I ask of people is PLEASE don't keep changing :)

20. Di

Di Active Member

Do we get an update? :confused::biggrin:

21. Paddy Flower

I'm just waiting to hear who came 4th in the 4th section @ Tameside. As soon as I know I can annouce the winners of our first league contest.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flower
    The British Open
    Di.
    Fantasy Brass Band League
    FONT=Arial