Paddy's English Nationals - 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Yep, Paddy's going long again...

An interesting article i'm sure you'll agree and I hope this is where the ENBBC turns the corner. The one thing that struck me was all these changes (welcome thou they are) don't address the main reason behind so many withdrawls last year, i.e. one more contest for the reward of an expensice trip to the continent the following year.

We'll see, but for now...

Fairey (Geneva) - 11/4 fav a great 2010 (fires notwithstanding) and an even better 2011 me thinks
    Brighouse & Rastrick - 4/1
    Black Dyke - 9/2 a year of re-building ahead but - be in no doubt - they WILL be there or thereabouts
    Grimethorpe Colliery - 11/2
    Foden’s - 11/2
    Rothwell Temperance - 9/1
    Leyland - 10/1
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery - 20/1
    Desford Colliery - 33/1
    Reg Vardy - 100/1
  2. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Quick off the mark, Paddy, but bands have until 30th December to accept their invites...
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I think the idea is great in principal, but practical? Bad enough doing one test piece, let alone two, especially with everything else at that time of year... :-?
  4. euph1991

euph1991 Member

I love how the contest organisers have supported the other bands who kept the contest going earlier this year after nearly half of that 10 withdrew from the last English nationals.....such as Hammonds, Skelmanthorpe and Pemberton
  5. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

Here's the top 15 English bands from the gradings - Lets hope enough withdraw for us to get an invite. ;-)

2 Black Dyke Yorkshire
    3 Foden's North West
    5 Brighouse and Rastrick Yorkshire
    6 Fairey (Geneva)
    7 Grimethorpe Colliery
    8 Rothwell Temperance
    9 Leyland North West
    11 Carlton Main Frickley Colliery
    13 Desford Colliery
    14 Reg Vardy North

15 Virtuosi GUS
    20 Hepworth (Cookson Homes)
    23 Flowers
    26 Hammonds Saltaire
    27 Pemberton Old Wigan DW
  6. BariPower

BariPower Member

They are trying make it it more like the europeans with choice and test piece. Although its not fair to the bands that supported the contest while others declined the invite you have to include the top ranked bands to get the best representitive to qualify. With ten bands thats 20 performances now!
    WIll there be a seperate ticket for choice piece and test piece?
  7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Gotta have a punt on Prof. King in that format with B&R, 10pp please, to win.

(p.s. I will get in to the league, as soon as I have 5 mins to sit down and get myself sorted. . . )

Nice to see a contest trying to revamp it's style in an effort to make itself different and more interesting to bands. . . Bit of a shame some of last years bands don't automatically get an invite, I agree. But if they want to be a top class contest they've got aim (on paper) for the top representatives possible.
  8. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Hi Garry. Yeah I was wondering if it was something I said :)

We've got TWO more contests to go this year, Durham BBA and the Dutch Nationals both NEXT weekend, so gets those bets in if only as a warm-up to the new season starting Jan-2011
  9. Metoo

Metoo Member

This is a section from the Press Release from The BFBB posted on 4 bars rest:-

Having secured a new sponsorship deal with Geneva Instruments for the English National Brass Band Championships, the British Federation of Brass Bands has released further details of next year’s championship.

Changeing the rules so that the top 10 English Bands enter just goes to prove that the Federation and its Managers only care about the 'BIG BOYS'
    rather than all of the bands in our movement and especially the ones who entered the last contest.

All of the bands who entered this years contest and give the 'dead duck' new life, should have been the first to be invited to next years contest.
    Instead they are making it look like they have done something special and save this contest, which has been a failure since it started.

In actual fact it would be a great deal better if this contest was run by the North West Counties Association and the North West Brass Band Association
    as a combined effort and take it completely away from the penny pinching Federation of British Brass Bands.

Leave contest organization to those who know what they are doing.
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I'm seriously hoping that "the big boys" do enter. I didnt attend last year because there was a very small number from the top 10. It's a contest that is supposed to be populated by the cream of our banding crop.
    There is a contest a Preston, run by the NWBBA which the other bands can enter if they wish.
    I'm struggling to see any sense in your post at all Metoo!
  11. Frontman

Frontman Member

It seems to me Donna, that Metoo is suggesting that the English Nationals Contest be organised and run by the NWBBA and not by the Federation. (Sounds like a bit of bad blood).

It will be very interesting to find out which of the 10 invited bands will actually enter.
  12. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I agree totally with Paddy P on this one - bands voted with their feet last year, and the prospect of another major contest in an already full calender, which is a drain on financial resources compounded by the "prize" of another money sucking contest for the winner is probably not that attractive.
    When you see that the invites are based upon 4br rankings, which in turn are based on the results of other majors you have to wonder what the point of this event is.
    I don't think it benefits the bands, but clearly it is worthwhile for somebody?
    I also think that having one of the entrants sponsored by the sponsor of the contest is far from ideal.
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Minor point, but it is the WoB/Brass Band World ratings, not the 4br ones.

It will certainly be interesting to see how many of the initial list accept their invitations, and I can see see how other bands who supported last year's event could feel let down by the changes.
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

According to the press release

it's not.
  15. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Sorry, my mistake. Does which ranking system is used make much of a difference?
    I still don't understand why we dont just use the Nationals/Open to select our representatives for the European. All this contest seems to have done is hasten the demise of Cambridge (Kettering) as a decent event, and created an unviable and perhaps unwanted extra in the calendar.
  16. bassinthebathroom

There seems to be a bit of confusion over which ranking system is used. It is (as quoted in the original 4br article? the 4BR/BB rankings not WoB/BBW. Below are the 4br bands. Using the other would replace Reg Vardy with GUS.

1 Cory Wales 1,662.29 -
    2 Black Dyke Yorkshire 1,137.05 -
    3 Foden's North West 1,055.46 -
    4 Tredegar Wales 858.36 -
    5 Brighouse and Rastrick Yorkshire 806.86 +2
    6 Fairey (Geneva) North West 778.75 -
    7 Grimethorpe Colliery Yorkshire 677.11 -2
    8 Rothwell Temperance Yorkshire 475.65 -
    9 Leyland North West 369.69 +1
    10 Eikanger-Bjørsvik Norway 255.01 -1
    11 Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Yorkshire 210.18 +1
    12 Co-operative FuneralCare Scotland 188.84 -1
    13 Desford Colliery Midlands 185.27 -
    14 Reg Vardy North 171.15 -
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry - my error :oops:
  18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So let me get this straight...there are no LSC or WoE bands invited because they are not in the top ten? So there is really no way for these bands to qualify on an annual basis, because they can't get enough points from their region to qualify? Seems a bit strange to me.
  19. bassinthebathroom

Or they could be in with a shout of qualifying by raising the strength of their areas by achieving good results at contests such as the Open and Nationals which any band can qualify for. Bands not in the top ten can't really feel aggrieved; this method is exactly how those top ten got there in the first place!
  20. critic

critic Member

The rankings were from bandsman/4br not brassbandworld otherwise GUSwoud havebeeninvited source brassbandworldrankings november 1st