Paddy's British Open - 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Paddy Flower, May 15, 2011.

1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

A little late by my standards, nevertheless here's the opening prices...

Cory - 2/1 fav
    Brighouse & Rastrick - 5/1
    Fodens - 6/1
    Black Dyke - 13/2
    Fairey (Geneva) - 9/1
    Grimethorpe Colliery - 9/1
    Tredegar - 10/1
    Leyland - 22/1
    Rothwell Temperance - 25/1
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery - 28/1
    Virtuosi GUS - 40/1
    Desford Colliery - 40/1
    Hepworth (Cookson Homes) - 66/1
    Reg Vardy - 66/1
    Co-operative Funeralcare -- 100/1
    Kirkintilloch - 150/1
    Tongwynlais Temperance - 150/1

2. Steve S

Steve S New Member

You really don't like my band?
    Lol!!!
    Sxxx.

3. Paddy Flower

HUGE contest with the highest class field imaginable... :biggrin:

4. Steve S

Steve S New Member

Really!!
    I bow to your superior knowledge!

5. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Are there any reasons why Black Dyke seem to be a little below par at present?
    What is happening when bands ascend and descend - do the `top` players move around a lot? Or is the turnaround of conductors too frequent? Is there some instability, perhaps because amateur status comes a firm second to 9 to 5 employment?
    One cannot seem to compare it with other kinds of music as I can`t think of any other competitions in music, other than in youth music.

So could it be similar to say, football, with the same players slipping up and down the table from season to season, (with the exception that in football (at present) one particular team seems to stay at the top more frequently)?.
    I would think that the bands` keep their personnel more readily than what soccer clubs do, ie 16 to 65 as opposed to 16 to 35.

Sorry for all the questions - just phishing :)

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Certainly not any turnover of MDs in Dyke's case. Nick's been there a dog's age and shows no signs of moving on anytime soon - which has been a point of discussion in itself. There was another thread on this point regarding whether Nick should step down, which stimulated conversation ranging from mild speculation to outright libel, so it may very well be worth steering clear of that as a specific issue for fear of another rash of questionable postings from anonymous IDs - which I'm sure none of us wants to see one of Paddy's threads hijacked by.....

Dyke have had a run of poor form, there's no questioning that - but it's only poor form by the standard of one of the very best bands in the world. To me they're a bit like a centre-forward enduring a goal-drought. As soon as one comes, then more will follow.

For me, it's difficult to look past Briggus at the moment, who are in white-hot form and dripping with quality throughout - but this is the open, and Dyke'll be there or theareabouts. I don't think anyone would be exceptionally surprised to see the trophy go to Queensbury.

Remember, form is temporary. Quality is eternal.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

And it looks as though The Doctor rediscovered his goal-scoring boots at the weekend. :clap:

On another tack, I've just started listening to Dyke's take on Red Priest. In all humility, the balance/dynamics seem a little superhuman to me (engineering?).
    Will we hear bands at The Open capable of matching the above effects without resorting to mute/cloth/sponge/cushion cheating? For my money, it's much more thrilling for onlookers when top players are taken right to the edge of what they can do, "legally".

8. Great discussion.

9. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Many thanks Andi - excellent!

10. Paddy Flower

Can I take issue with the word 'legally' please?

I know there are strong opinions about the rights and wrongs of bands using 'license' with mutes, dusters, alternative instruments etc, but is there anything in the rules to say that it is illegal?

We may call it cheating but it's only cheating if the rules say it is surely.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Open
    Paddy
    Tickets
    sale
    Sunday concert
  12. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Hence the inverted commas ;)
    'Licence'?
    'Cheating'?
    It might not be against any current rules but as an audience member I certainly feel 'cheated' rather than 'licenced' :(

13. rosolino

rosolino Member

Don't think it has anything to do with "the rules". If it's not in the score it's cheating ... end of.
    Our friend Mr Sparke has already stated this in these pages and it's one of the reasons he may not write any more test pieces for us ...... our loss thanks to the cheats.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try and listen to the European performance ... it's more revealing if you are considering it's demands as a test!

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Is Red Priest the test piece for the British Open? I tried their website, but couldn't find it.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yup!

17. It was on Dyke's Facebook videos

18. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Having only glanced through my part. There are parts actually written for practice mutes. And also cup mutes for euph! I've never brought 2 muted on stage!

19. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

I agree Brighouse are playing well, but they have also been lucky with the draw and Dyke have not. At the Area there were two numbers left in the bag I am told when Dyke drew 1 and left 11 for Brighouse - what would the result have been if the draw had been the other way round? Watch Dyke's odds tumble after the English National. If this was real money I would sell my house and back Dyke for the Open

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks for the info. Great to see the score in action with that video. :clap:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Open
    Paddy
    Tickets
    sale
    Sunday concert