Oxford and District Solo Competition on 29th April

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Kiz7, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Are there any tmp'ers going to the Oxford and District Solo Competition at Sandhills school on Sunday 29th April? If so, do you have a pianist accompanying you who would be prepared to play for my daughter and one of my students as I have been unable to arrange a pianist for them because originally we were not able to attend the contest as I was due to be accompanying Gloucester Youth Brass Band to the Youth Band Championships. i no longer need to attend so I was able to enter my daughter and my student as late entries.

Anyone able to help? Please PM me if you can.

Thanks

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm not organising this years contest, but we do usually manage to supply an accompanist who is available on a first-come first-served basis. There's often also time to rehearse over lunch or before the contest starts etc, although this isn't guaranteed. I would hope that we've managed to get an accompanist this year too for people like you who don't have their own in tow...

3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I hope you are right DaveR but when I spoke to one of the organisers last week he didn't sound too optimistic which is why i thought I would see if there are any kind tmp'ers out there who would like to help me out!

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You may be out of luck - I am the person who is usually organised to accompany those who show up on the day, but have heard nothing this year. (I'm busy on that day now, if they are having any late thoughts) Who did you speak to? They can be a little prone to communication breakdown on occasion.

Of course, I may have just been fired... ;)

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, that's certainly not the case! You weren't available last year as I recall, and we got a local piano teacher (I think she was a piano teacher anyway!) in to do it. Leave it with me, and I'll try to find out what's going on.

6. Veri

Veri Member

While we're on the subject of the contest does anyone know how long quartet pieces should be? Ditto duets - can you do two movements of a sonata? I emailed Dave Martin at the address on the entry form but no reply...

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Dave Martin doesn't check his email that often - I can send you his phone number if you want. But in my position as former contest administrator, I can tell you that there is no time restriction on the music. Therefore, if you wish to do two movements, I don't think there will be a problem. As long as the adjudicator knows....

8. Veri

Veri Member

Thanks! And would about two and a half minutes be too short for a quartet? We've got a nice bit of Gabrielli, but, it came with another nice bit of Gabrielli, which we'll also do if 2.5 minutes is too short...
    The other thing I emailed him was to see if I was allowed to change instruments from the baritone I've entered on to euphonium.
    I should ring him...could you pm me his phone number? Thanks

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

A quartet takes as long as it takes! If it is only 2.5 minutes long, then so be it. If you want to add another chunk of Gabrielli to it, then go for it. Quality rather than quantity! Personally, I would be inclined to add the other piece to it, but that's just me.

When I used to organise this contest and I had to work out the timings, I used to work on 5 minutes per entry, knowing that some entries (especially in the adult sections) would take longer, and some would be quicker. It all balances out in the end.

You can change instruments if you want - it may mean the programme is wrong but other than that there is no problem.

Actually, Dave's phone number is on the ODBBA website (gosh I'm efficient! :tongue:) on the contacts page. http://www.odbba.org.

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

That would be great Dave. REally looking forward to the day. Anyone know the draw order or anything? I don't have any details and was wondering what time I would need to get us there for.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    District Solo Competition
    Sandhills
    Oxford
    daughter
    Solo Competition
  12. Veri

Veri Member

Thanks Dave. Now there's no need for me to ring him!!

Are you going to be there anyway? We could actually meet this time, now that you know who I am, even though I don't know who you are!! :eek:

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I will be there. I rather like this knowing who you are but you not knowing who I am. Mwahahahaha. :tongue:

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You'll be notified of the draw and some estimated timings about a week or so in advance. Solos are generally in the morning, especially the younger entrants. What sections have you entered?

15. Veri

Veri Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I'll be there with a couple of quartets from Bletchington - It'll be nice to be on the receiving end of a quartet adjudication for a change rather than dishing it out!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Right, the latest situation as we know it. The lady who played last year is currently unavailable but is trying to uncommit herself so that she can play for us instead. We are also trying other avenues, but haven't been successful yet. If we are successful, then I'll let you know.

What you could do is record the piano track onto a CD and bring that (together with a CD player!) to play along to. It isn't ideal, but there are usually several people each year who do this.

Alternatively, I think Yarnton band who usually send a huge entry each year :clap: also bring a tame accompanist with them. You could try to persuade him to do the honours perhaps?

18. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Thanks Dave - any idea on a contact name or number for Yarnton?

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

There's a link to them from the ODBBA website. If you don't get a response let me know and I'll look out a telephone number for you. I don't have it to hand at the moment.

20. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Hi Dave,

any further update? Having a bit of trouble converting my midi files of the piano parts to a CD playable recording. Sigh. I am not the most technically minded!

21. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Could anyone tell me what time it all kicks off and what the order of play/draw is as i haven't been sent any info and am a bit concerned that we may arrive at the wrong time. Ta!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    District Solo Competition
    Sandhills
    Oxford
    daughter
    Solo Competition