Own choice test piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo101, Jun 4, 2008.

1. satchmo101

satchmo101 Member

What do you all reckon to High Peak - Eric Ball for a 1st section band own choice test piece. Love the test piece but have not yet played it so wondered if it was at the right level to contest with.

The other piece on the horizon is Triumphant Rhapsody, again a brilliant piece but I think quite a bit more difficult

Cheers

Mark

2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

We did High Peak at the Weston own choice contest last year and Yeovil Town (Championship Section) played it at Weston this year. Love the piece and think it's a lot harder than some people think - go and enjoy it.

3. Blagger

Blagger Member

Lovely piece - although your solo euph will need to hold his/her nerve at the beginning ;)

4. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

High Peak - No doubt... That piece has so much music... Thr. Rhapsody is nothing compared to High Peak...

HP was on my first brass band cd... It was the only cd i heard that year...

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've played both and (imho ;) ) High Peak is harder. There's a bit more finger waggling (and a lot of tripling) in Triumphant Rhapsody from what I remember but HP is musically much harder - lots of bands can get to the end, but not many get to the heart of it.

Having said that, Triumphant Rhapsody is a great piece and much underused. Good fun to play too, although it's been a good 18 years since I played it.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'd say both were about right for the 1st section, but offer slightly different tests.

I've not played High Peak for ages (last time at Leicester circa 1996?) and don't remember that much about it (except the top C in the flugel solo!) but, if memory serves its less technical and more musical than Triumphant Rhapsody - typical Eric Ball really.

I've never actually played TR out, but its been a permanent fixture in our pads for the last 10 years so I know it backwards. I have some great memories of rehearsals on this (a guest conductor once said before we started to play it "trombones, you cannot play that bit in bar 5(?) loud enough...." He was wrong! :eek:). Its a great piece and not without some nice musical moments too - a typical Vinter slow section, for example. If you're considering it though, you'd better hope your cornet section can triple tongue cleanly, else your conductor will drown in the rivers of spit created in the last movement!

Both great pieces, you'll enjoy working on either of them IMO.

7. flugelman

flugelman Member

I've played both in the first section and both are cracking pieces. I personally think TR is the better test though

8. satchmo101

satchmo101 Member

I love the euph part in this piece and it will really suit our solo Euph. Hope he doesn't get his revenge and suggest something taxing for solo cornet :)