Own Bandroom?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Nov 24, 2005.

What type of bandroom do you have?

1. We have our own separate building

43 vote(s)
  2. We get free use of shared facilities that we don't own

18 vote(s)
  3. We pay for shared facilities that we don't own

19 vote(s)
  1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Reading a nunber of threads recently just wondered what proportion of bands had their own band room - i.e. property is yours and you maintain it's upkeep. Or do you get free facilities or pay donation/rent?

We have the use of our local Church Hall twice a week with provision for storage of music, stands, percussion etc. We've been there 10 years and pay an annual "donation" to cover costs; if we were charged rent, the building would be re-classified and subject to business rates. We also helped with the cost of providing additional storage space for our gear.
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

We have our own building, which was given to the band as a gift, due to being long-standing tennants, in 1968, when the owners, the Vaynol Estate, was disbanded.

We more or less ran the building down, and it was in a desperate state, when we were awarded a nearly £250k Lottery Grant from the Arts Council of Wales.

Full details, and photos here!
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Our bandroom is within a social club at the village of St Faiths. We pay a monthly rent but they have provided us with an additional room to store our library and also instruments, uniforms etc. They also let us build a cupboard within the bandroom to store our percussion equipment.

Oh it also has a very nice inexpensive bar too! :biggrin:
  4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

About 15 years ago, we built our own bandroom on grounds that are property of the city council. (we have some builders amongst our members and we also have very good relations with some building companies from the area, who sponsored most of the materials and help us with building equipment!). Currently we are extending the building with a larger storage area for the percussion instruments.

The building is a part of the village "parochial community centre". Because we built it ourselves, we can use it for free, but we have to pay ourselves for the electricity, heating, insurance and those kinds of things. Luckily enough we were allowed to put our own little bar in the building. The revenues from the bar are used to cover the expenses ;)

(it's the building on the left ;) )
  6. six pints

six pints Active Member

we used to have our own, but it got burned down :(
    now we have one rehearsal a week in a scout hall, and once a week in a school, and store music etc in band members garages, and we pay to rent both of them. on the plus side, at least we now have toilets at rehearsals!
  7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

The Bat Cave? That's a new one! But quite apt a description I'd say!

It may be shoddy and it may be (sometimes) freezing, but it's spacious and serves us very well.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Since our new hall was built we have been able to practise in the main worship hall, with the big advantage that we can usually leave everything set up, including percussion gear and stands. We don't have a bandroom as such, but the small room used as a prayer-room cum cry-room has a cupboard for most of the music and the basses (for when we're not taking them home to practise ;) ). It is planned that the second stage of the building, which is mainly aimed at improving facilities for youth work, will also increase the amount of storage available.

Because the band only exists as an integral part of the church community, there are occasions when practice arrangements need to be changed if the hall is needed by another section,or for a meeting etc, but that does not happen very often.
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hehe that photo brings back a few memories....me and a couple of mates slept there on Whit Friday night after coming up to help you lot out at the contests. It was about a million years ago now, but I still remember it was a great day / evening :D

Well as I guess most of you already know...we did, but we don't now. :( (well as of midnight tonight anyway)

I guess for the foreseeable future we'll be renting church halls and the like, hopefully we'll have somewhere to store our kit nearby too. Not ideal, and a far cry from being able to come and go as we please and leave our kit set up after practice as we've been used to for so long now. :(
  10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Our band hall ownership is a tad complex

The land its built on belongs to the band (given to us a s a gift)

The initial building used by the band was demolished early 60's and agreement reached with the local Sea Cadets for them to build a purpose built unit for their needs They are responsible for all its up keep. The agreement allows the band usage on Monday and thursday nights and storage facilities.

We pay a ''donation'' to the cost of heating and lighting.

So all in all a great deal for the band apart from it gets a bit chilly and accoustically its a bit boomy.

TIMBONE Active Member

I was very impressed with Rainford Band's purpose built bandroom, which we used for rehearsal last Sunday. Eccles Borough Band have their own bandroom too, which is old, but plenty of room.
  12. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

We have our own purpose built bandroom in the grounds of Brighouse High School but we own the land and the building.
  13. Di

Di Active Member

We at Hathern own our own bandroom. The Opening Ceremony was performed by Philip McCann in August 2005 and to celebrate the bandroom's 20th Anniversary, the band held a concert at which Philip McCann appeared as guest soloist.

14. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

We have our own bandroom :D its a little building behind the HSBC bank on the edge of the church yard!

Its old, and damp and smells funny (oh and the floor slopes a bit!), but other than that is lovely :D We have the practice room upstairs, and downstairs, the instrument cupboard and the library, two toilets (but nobody uses them because everyone can hear everything!!) and a little kitchen type thing!

Its a nice little bandroom :) and its all ours! :D I think the band has pretty much always had it but I don't know :confused: oh and I don't have a photo!
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We have a shared BIG HALL at GRESLEY.

But if anyone in the band wants to hire it or any part of the building for a private party then that is FREE:biggrin:
  16. mikebass

mikebass New Member

We are very lucky.:)
    In return for a long association and being members of the YMCA we, employing the services of an acoustic engineer, had a bespoke rehearsal room built for us.
    Great space, great acoustics.
    Could not ask for better and would probably find it difficult to better.
    Thank you YMCA
  17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK Mumsie, time to start easing up on the gin intake, I think... or maybe get a new battery for your calculator/tardis/wormhole machine/broomstick... ;)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We have our own bandroom, nestled in the middle of Emley village. It stands on it's own plot of land back off the road, but is fairly close to the houses nearest to it.

Thankfully our neighbours are very tolerant of the noise/din/racket/music (circle as appropriate) we make. :biggrin:

And it's nobbut a short stroll down to the Green Dragon.
  19. Di

Di Active Member

:clap::clap: Super Mike! You just passed the "spot the deliberate mistake" test. ;)
  20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Dronfield pay rent for the use of a room at Coal Aston Community Centre on Tuesday's and Sunday's, as well as storage facilities there, and are always well supported by the other users of the centre when it comes to our concerts. (Would love to have a go at the indoor bowls which is also on on Tuesday's, looks a right good laugh.) Good pub right next door as well!