Owen's off to the toon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

So Michael Owen is on his way to Newcastle, i'm not too suprised he had no other chioce really, he was out the Real squad and Liverpool weren't going to pay over the odds for him. While i'm not a toon fan I think its a good move for him in the sense he will be idolised up here just like Shearer (try finding a geordie who'll tell you Shearer is crap, its very difficult). However I don't believe he'll be there for four years, as soon as he's scoring goals a bigger club will come in for him and he'll be away.

Bit stupid though they've just spent about £30 million on two strikers while the defence has more holes than a golf course!

What does everyone think about this signing?
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Benitez didnt want him, he never said he did, Owen thought he could just walk back in.

He's settled for the toon, but im sure it will benefit both him and the club...
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not convinced. Owen needs decent service. Shearer isn't getting much (but age may be a factor there, he was 35 earlier this month). Not sure Owen will get the quality of service required. I have a soft spot for Newcastle (though not their current manager) so I hope I'm wrong.
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Firstly, Im glad hes not back at Anfield. I am sure he will soon be firing the goals in for Newcastle but I am also pretty sure that its gonna take more than MO to save Newcastle from another season of ifs, buts and maybes.

He wont be there in 4 years, who are Newcastle trying to kid
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I;m gutted as the first rumor had Wigan putting in a bod for him and I think that would have been swell since they just moved up.
  6. Chris Sanders

But it will do him good to be playing instead of sat on a bench will it not, his lack of service will just mean he will have to work harder and will improve his pace...
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

.....and in return, bust his hamstrings again, and miss the World Cup.

This whole move just has England@WorldCup written all over it. If Owen is 'all that' as a player - how come none of the big clubs were in for him?

His reason for leaving Liverpool last summer was wanting to win things and play on the biggest stage in Europe. 12 months later, Liverpool are Champions League Winners and Owen is off to Newcastle - who haven't won a trophy in how many years? Someone's been giving him some dodgy advice somewhere. Sven? ;)

Anyway, best of luck at the Toon Michael, though I can't help thinking this is a move you'll regret!
  8. Chris Sanders

Well that could happen to any player, its an occupational hazard...

I agree, he has only moved because he see's Smith and Rooney playing and improving at the scum, and he is frightened for his position...

IYOUNG Member

Absolutely - it was all media hype Owen going to Liverpool having listened to a well know national radio station the past few weeks on this subject the hype has been ridiculous forever analysing where he should go and whether the big four wanted him or not.

as you say Benetiz nor Wenger nor Ferguson nor Morinho never actually said anything it was assumptions by the media.
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah like another 10 new players!...well 9 I think Shay Given is a good player. Owen is the last throw of the dice this season, if it doesn't pay off they'll be down the bottom come the end of the season. If it does then they will be higher up the league and give them more pulling power to get another manager.

I've just seen they've sold Jenas to Spurs, this is a typical example of the business sense at the toon....there is non!
  11. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Not sure I quite agree with that, Scott Parker is a fine player as are Emre and Luque. On his day Bowyer can also run a game.

IMHO £8m for Jenas is good sense as he is vastly over rated and therefore just right for Tottenham.

I must admit though not convinced about Souness
  12. Chris Sanders

I agree with that, plus I think Dyer when he focus's...
  13. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Can I just say andy please in response to your person before reply..............
    As a Manchester United fan I'm not biased at all ;) but if I'm right.......
    • Liverpool haven't won a comestic title for edging on 16 years now and they've never won a Premier League Title (MUFC have eight to their name!!!).
    • Infact, it took them all their might to finish fifth last year!
    • They shouldn't even be in the Champions League no matter whether they won it or not- they know the Qualification rules before the season starts so if their planning on winning it they should plan to be rightfully eligable to go back!
    • They were lucky as hell to win the trophy in the first place!!!! Remember, the Chelsea goal that never was; and the fluke, yes fluke five minutes of the second half!!! ;)
    I must however say that I agree totally with your views of the fans that disgrace Manchester United and that now is not the time to moan and protest they should have thought of it when they put the club up for sale years ago. Sadly, I was not there to complain then!!:rolleyes:
    I however still feel moved to defend the club I, and many others who are welcoming the Glazers (spelt properly) (The club has to be sucessful for them to make the money!!:D ) love from the image the (to put it nicely) rioting idiots are giving us.

Now I know this will be a contraversial view but I'm just throwing them into the court of play. I myself have a lot of time for Benitez and think he's quite a good manager.
    However, you have to admit that over the last decade United fans have earned the bragging rights, and their team has played the best football, in the North West if not all of England!!!
    Soooooo there we go----- rant over.:woo
    Have a nice day!!!!! :)
  14. Chris Sanders

A Man Ure fan who is not biased against Liverpool, wonder what time the next flying pig leaves ringway...

Man Ure wernt much better...

Fair do's, rules are rules, but they earned the right to defend their title...

Man Utd are no longer the top dogs, and so have nothing to brag about, at the end of last season Fergersons Mantlepiece was as empty as any of the lower placed teams, so cut the crap...

Bragging rights = A**ehole rights - True fans dont need to brag, when your team is successful, wearing the shirt with pride is enough...
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Oh - I will! In fact it's a great day now I've finished laughing that 'rant'!!!!! :D
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

We may not have a Premier League trophy in the cabinet yet but we have a big Champions League one to keep for ever. If the Scum are playing the best football in England and still dont win the league, maybe they should play the fifth best football in England but the best in Europe and get themselves the trophy they hate us having!!! hehe

As for Owen, Im glad hes not back at Liverpool as he turned his back at the start of something special. I am not too pleased he is at a premiership rival as I still rate him as one of the worlds best finishers but its Newcastle so I am not too worried. I cant believe Everton tried to sign him too, what a joke. OI, DAVID MOYES, GOOD PLAYERS DONT WANT TO COME TO "THE OTHER TEAM" IN LIVERPOOL!!!!!!

I wish he had gone to Wigan though, that would have been awesome.
  17. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

I do wear the shirt with pride i was just settin the record straight!!!!
  18. Chris Sanders

But your slagging off of Liverpool was inaccurate and uncalled for, they after all a big club with a good squad and a great manager.

It very much seemed to stem from jealousy that Liverpool were successful last season and Man U sucked...

Do you remember the days when football was football, before it became purely a business, in fact are you old enough to go to matches on your own?
  19. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

surprisingly YES I do go to footie matches on my own and i was responding to an earlier comment made in the person before thread and if you read my post it does say about Benitez although I prefer Mourinho.
    AND I do understand the fact that football has become major money business but you can hardly blame me for that!!!!
  20. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

20,000 turned up just to see Owen sign his contract

don't they have lives in the North East?