Overtures

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassendworld, May 20, 2009.

1. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Hi Folks

Some ideas please

4th section band seeking new ideas on Overtures available to use for up and coming concerts

Nothing to old please

Thanks

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How about Bryan Kelly's Provence?

3. H.M.S. Pinafore – Overture
    By Arthur Sullivan

The collaborations of Gilbert & Sullivan have given us some of the most memorable music in history. The overture to the H.M.S pinafore is a lively, foot tapping introduction to the comic opera, first performed in 1878. With wonderful melodies and band parts to keep every player entertained, this makes a great alternative to the challenging Italian overtures so often played. This piece has been skilfully arranged and can be played by most levels of bands.

Full score & parts: £19.95
    Direct Link: http://www.penninemusic.com/show_sco...=108&tf=H9.rtf

For more details on these pieces and to see/hear these new releases as well as the rest of our catalogue, please visit our web-site at http://www.penninemusic.com where you can order online or e-mail to sales@penninemusic.com, or ring us on 0785 251 9763

4. Columbo

Columbo Member

Poet and Peasant always a good one for 4th section.

5. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Gilbert and Sullivan March of the Peers is very good - although it's not really an overture it's very similar in style.

6. JR

JR Member

If your front row can play the runs at the end you shouldnt be in the 4th section!

And it's really old hat...

I like A Tameside Overture - would be difficult with the time changes but great tunes

John R

7. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Saddleworth Festival Overture

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The Barber Of Seville;
    Yes it might be old hat but still a good overture to play and would be good for a 4th section band to have a look at.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I don't remember Rimmer's arrangement of the overture to "Die Zauberflote" having anything too taxing in it.... but then, I am a bass player so nothing very taxing tends to come my way in overtures as compared with the end chairs.

From an audience point of view it's very recogniseable as well, and rehearsing it really helps build precision because there are so many 'verticals' in unison down the score.

Good fun too.

10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Die Felsenmuhle, Reissiger arr. Drake Rimmer...super piece...currently working it up with a 4th section band...bit of work for cornets, but all the runs are laid well.

Sud

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Overtures
    ideas
    concerts
    section band
    Thanks
  12. Jack

Jack Member

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Although I've nothing against the traditional "March ... Overture ... etc." concert opening format, I've recently started occasionally substituting some film theme music for the overture, on the grounds that todays movies are in a sense the "mass entertainment" equivalent of the Opera, which, unlike the elitist pursuit it is seen as today, did in fact constitute entertainment for the masses in the 18th/19th century. Therefore, the "Movie Theme Music" is, in my mind the direct equivalent of the Overture. Seems to go down well enough with the audience, especially if I take the trouble to explain it, and would also seem to fit your original stipulation of "Nothing too old please".

14. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

You could try Dennis Wright's "Glastonbury" a lovely sound and not too tricky.
    A shorter bright opener is "Celebration" which you can hear at www.pdfbrass.com

15. Goff Richards Jubilee Overture would be a decent challenge for fourth section.

16. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Thanks Andy will PM you in a while quite like the look at some the stuff here

Ian

17. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Thanks Gareth, I tend io agree with yopu trouble is we use a lot of film music as it is - usually end of both halves so need a bit of variety

Ian