Overheard... in a brass band

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bassinthebathroom, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I am the proud owner of the FHM Book of Bar Room jokes, and as fellow owners of this fine literary publication will be aware, the book features "Overheard..." - a regular series of explanations to terms used in such organisations as the Police, the Army etc. etc.
    So I though you lot could help me with a comprehensive list of 'insider' brass band terms...
    I'll start, and remember anything goes (even if its individual to your band), but keep it clean(ish) and concise.... happy defining!!

Dep: Short, we assume, for deputy. A player 'borrowed' for a concert or contest. Often paid (though not all that well)
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Phud - Derogatory term used to describe the player whose abscence necessitated the use of a dep (see above).
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

• tad (or tadge) quite a popular term in Shropshire bandrooms meaning a little, " a tad more" for example.
  4. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

OK, time for another I feel....

Navvy: Of Cornish origin, a favourite of one Cornish conductor/salesman (bonus point for a correct guess). Means much the same as "Tad" (see above)
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

"Gnats" another term with the same meanings as above. Related to a longer engineering term which I won't repeat :shock: . Useage example: "Basses, can you be a gnat's louder there please?"

"...about an m". Used by our conductor to describe a loud p or quiet mp marking... "no quieter than mp - about an m...." :-?
  6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

boc - person knowing way too much about anything to do with brass bands in general. can mainly be found in the foyer 2hours before any contest, complete with programme and pen..eagerly awaiting the draw.

examples of use:

*ur boccing me* - go away, i have no interest in anything u say

*im being bocced, help* - the person who is talking to me is boring me, get me away from them

feel free to add ur examples of use :D
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

'Umping - for example, what the Horns do in "Death or Glory" march.
  8. 2nd man down

tMPer - all of us bocs!
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

'bungalow' - expression used by MD's to sometimes describe cornetists i.e. nothing up top...;)
  10. 2nd man down

Clog - What the basses give when going for it "Give it some clog lad!"
  11. 2nd man down

Blaaht - Nice looking female banders :rolleyes:
  12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Adjuticator - The Devil (unless you win, of course;) )

Trumpets - The instrument of blasphemy (ever get the feeling I have experienced this?)

Beer - Life's necessity

Contests - A chance to play the same piece for weeks at a time, only to be told by the Devil that it wasn't very good.

Multiple Tongueing - not as much fun as it sounds ;)

Alternative Fingering - not as much fun as it sounds ;) :rolleyes:

Wobble - vibrato (varying levels from none to the full McCann)
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

blf - dynamic marking meaning blow very loudly.
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Forgot my favourite :oops:

KYK - Count You ____ (Clot :D )
  15. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Lodger - miming on stage usually found among lower section bands.
  16. 2nd man down

welly - fff
  17. 2nd man down

Waldorf and Staetdler - every band has these...two moaning old gits (usually on the bass line) that grumble, gob and snot at everything that moves.
  18. 2nd man down

PITA - Those people that just won't shut the **** up while the conductors trying to explain something.
  19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Wemiosso - tempo that band settles in either too fast or too slow compared to the original
    markings, but the same regardless.

Band fit - term used to describe good looking men within the banding community (making
    the most of what you've got!)
  20. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Teachers Pet.....normally a cornet or horn player who always tries to help the conductor with suggestions..apart from bringing in an apple , would not look out of place hanging upside down getting a bog wash..