Over Reactions?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Maestro, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Many times, banding has been likened to football.

In football, players and managers sometimes over react of things don't go their way, and they invariably get punished, some may say depending on the size of the club.

We all know not everybody is going to like their result at one stage or another.

My question is this......

If through a haze of alcohol, and one too many sniffs of the barmaid's apron, someone who had had a 'bad result', approached either an association member or even the adjudicator (referee?) and heaped verbal abuse on them, what action could and would be taken?

Would the player concerned suffer or his band?

I have never heard of this happening, I have to say, but my memory doesn't go as far back as some members on here. Has this happened before at all?

I truly hope that it never does I have to say.

2. Zappa

Zappa Member

Many years ago I heard of a band in Yorkshire whos conductor threatened an adjudicator and got a little physical after a result ... The story goes that the MD was quite rightly sacked but that the band did not enter the areas for a number of years ... I don't know whether they were banned or just decided not to ...

I wont name the band as when I was told I was quite young and my memory is a little hazy. Also banding rumours are like Chinese whispers so it MAY NOT EVEN HAVE HAPPENED!
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

why does it have to involve alcohol?!
    cast your mind back to the British Open 2009 and "Meadgate".....
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I remember someone being quite arsey with Geoff Whittam at Pontins one year. Poor!
  5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Someone has been banned before from all Kapitol promotions contests for a year due to remarks made to a set of adjudicators
  6. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Ahhhhhhh....Was that the famous...

"Mr Whittam, why the hell did you put us last?"
    "Cos you were worst, goodbye!!!!"

7. Zappa

Zappa Member

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an incident at the North of England areas a few years back - players from one band were banned for a year after climbing on stage to abuse the adjudicator when the results were given?
  9. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

Its not about have face to face arguments with these adjudicators and having altercations.

I think sometimes there should be somesort of panel or forum with a band reps and the adjudicator so questions can be asked etc.

Kev, let me ask you this......................If you get a set of remarks back from the adjudicator which quite clearly aren't yours or that there is somesort of clear reason that these remarks would need to be questioned, are you telling me you wouldn't want to talk to the adjudicator face to face and put the clear error to him/her??????

by looking at this forum and I will use DobX as an example at this years area, the poor conductor and band are fuming!!!!! and therefore quite rightly should have the platform to do something about it.

Why should people be punished for making valid points??? Crazy talk.
  10. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I am glad to say that in the vast majority of cases, bands - and their members, take results 'on the chin'.
    It is difficult to imagine us all agreeing with a full result, whatever the contest.
    The only consolation that I can offer is; the older you get, the more philosophical you become.
    We don't always get the result we deserve (in our own opinion), but if we responded with attacks (of any kind) on adjudicators, then the integrity and respect that our movement has earned over the years, would be destroyed.
    Results are decided in good faith, we need to continue to respect those decisions.
  11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I'm not saying that bands, if they feel they have a case, shouldn't be allowed to have an explanation.
    My question was, has there ever been shoving, pushing, abusive language etc, like you see in football.

I have never seen it, but I was wondering if it had happened and what the punishment would have been.
  12. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

the answer is simple, if you can't take a bad result along with the good ones, you shouldn't be in it.
  13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

From what I remember someone tried to wrestle the microphone off Alan Hope before being dragged off stage but not before managing to shout "f***ing joke" about the result. I think someone else had a go at some of the regional committee too.
    Another year I also remember one band being placed 3rd and the representative told them to stick the trophy somewhere uncomfortable :eek:

I might be wrong like it was ages ago and i've slept since then but I was onstage at the time and that's what I remember.
  14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Suck it up, smile and do your crying in private. That's what me and mine did last Sunday....
  15. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

What a ridiculous statement. 'Yes men' is what this world likes and it is a soft way out.

If your boss at work asked you to do something one way, but you knew a better and more affective way, would you question the matter? ofcourse you would if you had sense about you.

As one person mentioned and likened this to football; after every match in the football league, once something like 15 minutes has passed at the end of the game, the managers of the teams are allowed to go into the referees changing room and ask questions etc......something like this would be a great idea......mind you the queues could be long, granted.
  16. NervyBsMD

NervyBsMD Member

There is a big difference between asking questions of an Adjudicator (or Referee) so as to clarify a decision, and challenging a decision because you think you know better.

I am all for the first one, and most Adjudicators that I know would happily talk to anyone about their reasons for the judgement, if that is what is asked for.

What they won't do, quite rightly, is put themselves in a position of having to face a barrage of abuse from people who are aggrieved but who have probably never had to judge a contest themselves, yet still think they are the experts.

To carry on the football analogy that some began earlier, how many times does a player stick his arm up to claim a throw-in or corner etc. when he knows full well that it was he who kicked the ball last?

RIP sportsmanship, you are sorely missed.
  17. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

when was the last time you heard of a football referee writing a full set of remarks explaining why he'd made a certain decision during a match?

your entire argument is pointless.
  18. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

Incredible comeback! and thankyou, yes I do waste time making meaningless remarks!

and to add to my time wasting, I shall try and simplify to you what my point is and why the analogy.......football and banding are both competitive and there will always be someone contesting a result....... still with me? Having a consultative session with an adjudicator after a contest would be a good answer to all the complaining.........just like the football issue where they have this session. If would be far better having this where you can complain to the source of the problem, rather than telling the world on a forum.

For your knowledge and to correct you, a football referee at the end of EVERY game, whether Sunday League or FA Premier League, has to submit a full match report outlining every key incident in the game - just like that of an adjudicators remarks.
  19. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

I noticed. :biggrin:
  20. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

Your not an adjudicator by any chance are you?:clap: