Over rated footballers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by IYOUNG, Apr 19, 2005.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Whose the most over rated in English Football then?

1. Steven Gerrard - Liverpool - 9 out of 10 ''world class'' 50 yard passes never reach the target.....

2. C Ronaldo - Man Utd - Any defender with any sense will just wait and let him fiddle around with his leg kicks and then deposit him into the crowd.

Ian

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    footballers
    English
    most
    Steven Gerrard
    Man Utd
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

In Years gone by you have had Geoff Thomas and Tony Daley....I dont think they managed a full 90 mins in 4 years at Wolves...and to think 20+ England Caps between them , what was Graham Taylor thinking?????????

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Didier Drogba. Not worth the money and not any better than Gudjohnsen or Hasselbaink in my opinion. See also Kezman who looked average when he played for PSV.

Robby Carlos. Not actually that good at free kicks.

Luis Figo. He's rated because???

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I didn't they were in English football, have Chelsea been at it again ! ;)

James Beattie... One good season and now pants

Robbie Savage..... it's not passion Robbie it's dirty fouling and whinging, and get yer hair cut you big Jessie

Philip Neville...... England Vs Romania Euro 2000 say no more

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

wayne "angry tramp" rooney.... good but way overrated.

7. lewis

lewis Member

You're sick!! Gerrard has single handedly pulled Liverpool through this season. He is world class mate, and yours is the first argument I've ever heard or seen against this.

8. lewis

lewis Member

Whoo-hoo!! My little rant has just made me a senior friend as well!!

9. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Spoken like a true ''I beleive the hype'' Liverpool supporter ....mate

Its the media thats feeding the hype on Gerrard, as with a number of others

Congratulations on your senior friend status

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sorry Roy - I disagree with all three of your choices. Purely because of the fact that the thread is called 'most over-rated' - I'm not sure the word 'rated' figures next to any of those three! ;)

As for Steven Gerrard, whilst there is a lot of hype surrounding him - to say he is the most over-rated player is a bit of a joke. Granted, he's not the best midfielder at the club (step forward Mr. Alonso) and the way the press praise him to death is a bit sickening, but name me a club who wouldn't have him in their squad?

11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Norwich wouldnt!!

We couldn't afford his wages. :biggrin: :biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    footballers
    English
    most
    Steven Gerrard
    Man Utd
  13. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

They're all overrated--paid thousands per week for kicking a pig's bladder round a park.The clubs,F.A. and TV conspire to part the weak minded from their cash. Mind you the violence on and off the pitch can be entertaining.

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I can't see where you are coming from with Gerrard. The man is awesome, just watch him he runs that Liverpool side. He covers every blade of grass and he cares about the club not just the cheque he receives from it.

You won't notice the work he does on the TV but watch him live and you will see what he does.

Maestro old mate, City could afford him, just the Stewards are not prepared to take a pay cut!!!

My personal choice for one of the most over rated is Rio Ferdinand. John Terry and Sol Campbell when fit would make a much better pairing for England.

15. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

17. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

A much shorter thread would have been "Professional footballers who aren't over rated".

Can anyone think of any?

18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Rob Ursell at AFC Wimbledon, turned down MK Mongs to play for us, was recently selected for the England Futsol team, and was on the Paul O'Grady show last week do keepy uppies!

A legend for us and definately not overated in the non-league world. (and he is a professional for us!)

19. jmb83

jmb83 Member

Steven Gerrard is kinda over-rated but the most over rated player we have at Anfield has to be Harry Kewel.

Rio Ferdinand is over rated too, he's skillfull but no way '....the greatest defender in the world' as he and his agent keep saying.

Ronaldo is very over-rated - Both the man u and real ones!
    just a side point anyone else think that thugs on suspended sentances shouldnt be allowed to play for a team in the north-west?

20. lewis

lewis Member

Of all the players in the premiership I can't believe that Steven Gerrard's name is still being mentioned!

What about Harry Kewel, Igor Biscan, James Beattie, Heskey, James Milner, Lauren Robert, Vladimir Smicer etc..etc..

They're all rubbish. Gerrard is class (no I don't just listen to the hype) he not only runs best part of 10 miles every game, he scores important goals for us as well. He can pass, he tracks back, he's a leader and he isn't over-rated in my eyes.

Even if you don't think he is world class (even though those at Chelsea and Real Madrid do) surely there must be other players around that you think are actually over-rated :confused:

21. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

My thoughts exactly!

22. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Emile Heskey. Gets the ball and falls over, looks at the ref. How did he play so many games for England and Liverpool is a mystery to me as I dont remember seeing him perform well at all. (Granted I haven't seen every match he plays in, but the ones I have he was rubbish!)