Over 55,000 dead in Asian Earthquake & Tsunami...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 28, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am watching Sky news here where they are now reporting that the latest death count from the awful Boxing Day Earthquake and Tsunami in SE Asia is running at 55,000. This is also predicted to rise sharply. This is a dreadful event and such a tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost friends, family and loved ones.

BBC Reports

ITV Latest

Sky News reports

CNN Latest
  2. postie

postie Member

I couldn't agree with you more the whole event leaves me absolutely speechless. This is mother nature at its absolute worse.
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i was talking to a friend last night about it, and shes been travelling to some of the places that have been hit by it, and the towns arent very big, so for say 60 people to be killed by it, everyone would know someone who was killed by it.

(make sense?)
  4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I find it hard to imagine just how large an area has been affected in some way from Kenya in the West, all the way over to Indonesia in the East, some 5,000 or so miles I think.
    Thoughts of course go out to all those that have been affected.
  5. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

My cousin is currently out there I pray for his safe return, my aunty had contact with him earlier this week yet nothing has been heard since then.
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Someone who used to work with us about 2 years ago went to live out in Thailand about 6 months ago, a great person who used to have us crying with laughter, i have just been talking to one of the lads from work, he said "I hope Gary is ok"

I must admit when something like this takes place at this time of year it knocks the shine off it.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

All my thoughts and prays go out to all involved... I've been watching the pictures on TV today and been absolutly shocked... makes you feel so helpless when you know you can't do anything :(
  8. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

As quoted in many tabloids it is a tragedy of truly Biblical proportions and makes you realise just how fragile humanity is.

There's little or nothing man can do against the terrific force of nature, but if this happened off the US or European coasts I am certain adequate warning would have been given to avoid such a catastrophic loss of life. It's sad to say but life is cheap in Asia and the third world and their respective governments should be ashamed that no warning was given to anyone of the impending tidal waves.

I hope that the West makes every effort to relieve the suffering of the survivors by sending whatever aid we can. I shall donate as much money as I can afford to the Red Cross, which owing to the Christmas binge won't be as much as I would like. My heart bleeds for those left behind still looking for their loved ones.
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Apparently the number of deaths has reached 70000 people so far and could still double (according to talk sport radio).
    70000 people, too many people to comprehend, it really hits you in the pit of the stomach as the numbers continue to increase. If sanitation becomes a problem who knows how many other thousands of lives will be lost
    I feel so helpless and want to do something.
  10. paddo

paddo Member

I think everyone will agree this is truely a time for prayers. Our thoughts go out to all involved.

A friend and his wife will be going to Kenya soon and have been told that they will still be going. It hasn't reached the country with any force. But what force this must have been to do the damage on this scale.

We are all thinking of them.
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Watching the news earlier they are saying that they need to rise about 3million pounds to help everyone..... maybe a few tmp bands around the country could do some charity concerts??.... something?!.... anything to help raise some money for this country...

I shed a few tears watching the latest report in our local news because a family from Cornwall has been deeply affected... the loss of a 6 and 8 year old to this tragidy :(
  12. drummergurl

i was just listenin to the local radio station (rock fm) and they jsut said that you can donate money to go towards aids for the people over there..

this is a link to the website where you can donate if anyone does feel like they want to...www.dec.org.uk
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It is terribly sad that so many lives have been lost. The numbers coming in are higher than anything I have every counted to in my life and are therefore somewhat incomprehensible.

I think all governments should be ashamed that they continue to challenge mother nature. We have known of mother nature's power, randomness to timing and indescriminant gaps between major events, yet we still build houses and cities in flood plains, in avalanche and rock slide zones, in tornado and hurricane alleys, on coasts and rivers that have been subject to high erosion, by volcanoes and in seismiclly active zones (I apoligise if I missed an important geologic event). I just can't figure out who is more daft...the government for allowing people to build homes and live there without having a substantial plan for disaster, or the people who move there?

People may say Ohio and England are rather boring as far as the natural scenery goes, but I'll take safety over scenery anyday.
  14. Heather

Heather Member

Watching the news reports have reduced me to tears. Its absolutely dreadful.
    As a mother it also brings it home to you when you see those poor parents cradling their dead children..... I'm sure this tragedy has affected many many people throughout the world.
    My heart goes out to everyone who've lost their families, homes and livelihoods.
  15. drummergurl

im watching bbc1 right now and theres a special report on... and there was a guy talking and behind him you could see there were thousands of "missing!" posters up... i feel very close to tears on it.... some of the scenes are just horrendous!
  16. drummergurl

just to let people know you could also donate by ringing 0870 60 60 900- or you can see the website i posted earlier

its the disasters emergency comittee i think... there has just been an appeal on BBC1
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

We've just donated online - the images really choke you don't they?

Hope things start to get sorted soon for everyone affected.

Rach x
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've only just caught up fully with this....I'd heard about the tsunami on Boxing Day but haven't had time to watch any of the news reports on TV.

I've just sat and properly watched the news since the tidal waves hit on Boxing Day. The scale of the horror is unimaginable, but I fear worse is to come in that climate and with the number of bodies and tainted water around. My only hope now is that some aid gets through to ease the situation in any way possible.

My thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones.
  19. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Each time I watch the news it seems that things are getting worse. To see dead bodies in the streets behind news reporters is so shocking and unbelievable that they are still there 4 days after the tragic event.

Its obvious that the respective governmet troops and aid agencies are just totally overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation. I think Britain and the US should pull out of Iraq and send our troops out there where they are really needed and could do some good.

God help them............
  20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

What has happened is a tragedy. It's these sort of events by Mother Nature that should call out to all humanity. Life is precious and so fragile compared to the powers of the earth we live on.

Tragedy like this puts many things into perspective.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of all involved.