Outings for training bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Can anyone suggest a good festival/contest etc for a young training band? Somewhere that might be a fun day out!

2. ju33les

ju33les Member

Whit Friday marches in Saddleworth come to mind.
    (I'm sure that someone will put a link up for you.)

It would be a great experience for a training band .

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not really an ansswer to your question ("fun day out"), but if you would ever want to take your youth band on a foreign trip, this would be a good idea: http://www.emj.be/ , the "European Music Festival for the Youth" which takes places in Neerpelt (Belgium) every two years (the years in between, there is also a festival for youth choirs). For this year's festival, it's too late to subscribe unfortunately, but maybe in 2007?

It's a great festival, where you'll meet young musicians from all over Europe, from the UK to Russia, and all kinds of musical ensembles. Normally you' can stay with guest families.

Our youth band will be there :)

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Pontins Youth BB Championships is at the end of June (the 25th - according to ibew)

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Depending where you want to go you could try the Ripon Festival in June (3rd, 4th, youth and unregistered only) or Middleton in Tessdale contest in July (4th, youth and unregistered only)

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Yeah i would tend to agree! A training band could end up playing before/after (and therefore see firsthand) some of the best bands in the world - very good experience for the young people. Also it's free (or nominal fee) to enter so the cost is basically travel, hotel and a coach for the day.

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Newstead band are running a contest in the summer for training/junior bands. We went last year with my little training band for its first ever contest!! They loved it and all got a medal for competing. My senior band also did very well :)

8. postie

postie Member

The Leicestershire BBA at their annual contest in November have a section for unregistered and youth bands. If i remember rightly Thoresby Youth won it last year.

9. Di

Di Active Member

Most local music festivals have categories ranging from soloist to small ensemble to bands. I have an old brochure from 2001 including a listing for several across Ireland.

http://www.festivals.demon.co.uk/

If there is not one listed by you on the website, give them a ring and get the Year Book. There are many more listed in there.

Good luck. :biggrin:

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Being based in Ireland you should check out the annual festival of West Cork that is held in Clonakilty.

Spent many a good time in Clon over the years with City of Waterford Brass (or St. Pats as they were known then), pints and top notch seafood from An Sugan!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    training bands
    contest
    young training band
    fun day
    good festival
  12. Despot

Despot Member

We're very familiar with Clona, it's always a good laugh! They won the junior section last year!

Trouble with this neck of the woods, as you know, is the lack of band or band related events we can bring them to, or even another training band they can do a joint concert with. Which is why we're looking further afield!