Out with the old in with the new? or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by alks, May 2, 2005.

1. alks

alks Member

Ive spent the whole bank holiday weekend like a mole redoing our bands website as the old one looked ...well..old.

However im not sure that the new one looks quite right?

Ive currently got both sites on the web so that they can be compared.
    Ive still a lot to add to the new site, but overall is it better ? Shall i take the plunge and make it the new marshfield site? or try again next week with something new?
    Ive tried to keep it less corparate and more funky looking as it looks a bit different than the usual..I havent tried it on any screen res higher than 600x800 (as my pc is struggling) so hopefully it doesnt look too bad? (on the 600x800 everything seams ok but the extra width may cause screen uglyness?)

New site (currently on a temp aol server)(incomplete)
    www.members.aol.com/sadunn99/Marshfield2/index.html

Original / current site
    www.marshfieldband.co.uk

I havent done any web development in over a year so im a bit rusty.

Thanks Alks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    old
    bank holiday
    one
    web
    site
  3. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I definitely prefer the new design! I think it's much easier to read and the colours are nicer. I know absolutely nothing about web design, so that's all the info I can give!! :rolleyes: :)

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I like the old one! But both look good!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Defo the new one. It looks much cleaner and is vastly easier to read (old eyes).

And yes, it is better if it looks less 'corporate' and more individual.

Good work. I like it.

Would you like a mutual link? Old Hall Brass

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Definately something missing off your links page though....;) I often wonder why every other www site gets a mention... yet the one that allows you to promote your www site free of charge under your control, to a huge audience, is not there :(:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  8. alks

alks Member

Many Thanks for the speedy replies!!!, ill think ill replace the old with the new afterall! I was afriad it might be too gareish for some!

Be sure that i will put a link in for the Mouthpiece during the week....sorry about that i just pasted in links from the old/current site that i did in 2003! (as i said it is incomplete).

And also ill put in a link to old hall brass also!. Just a few extrasand tidy up now and im done.

Oh by the way if you click on the "what" link it takes you to an interesting flash movie that i did that shows instruments in a band if you click on it- hopefully this works?.

Many thanks

Alks

9. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

For what it's worth, I prefer the new design. Overall, the layout is much easier to follow.

The only thing I might change would be to make the page content the same width as the header graphic above it, instead of the width changing with the size of the browser window. Either that, or make the header width change as well. It just looks a little odd when the header seems to define a margin and then the page content spills outside of it.

-Lothian

10. Owen S

Owen S Member

The new design looks much better, particularly the background and the new menu bar. Other than a few spelling mistakes (e.g. "principle" cornet), the only real problem is that the main page content spreads across the whole page, whereas the page titles are stuck in the top left. You need to use tables either to restrict the content into a fixed-width space the same width as the title bar, or to create a <width=100%> table for the whole lot and centre the title image in the column that it and the content are placed in. As you can imagine, it looks pretty strange viewed in 1280 x 1024.

I'm going through the same process myself at the moment. I may post a thread like this in a few days time.

11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I like the new design as well. The only think I would suggest (in my humble opinion) is to stay away using some sort of graphic as a background as it makes the text difficult to read. :biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    old
    bank holiday
    one
    web
    site
  13. alks

alks Member

Thanks for your reply's i hope now ive solved the problem of "tables spilling outside the page" by using a clever idea that popped in to my head..now if on a screen higher than 600x800 a tiled image smaller than the title continues to the right. I have also made all the text expand the whole length of the page.

And John a link to the mouthpiece is on there complete with a nice introduction!!!!

Now if someone will nominate my site for website of the month i'll be well chuffed !!

I still have some more to add ....but finding the time can be tricky.

www.marshfieldband.co.uk.

Thanks
    Alks.

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm well chuffed to see the NABBA website in your links, but was curious why you put it there?

Is there some sort of odd relationship with your band?

Thanks

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Many thanks.... these links are very much appreciated. Don't forget to add the site to the tMP Links Directory yeah...:biggrin: