Our 1st Banned User

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi ComeBlowMyHorn

Thanks for the reply here and I understand your comments - I was also sad that someone used our forum for totally the wrong reasons and totally against theMouthPiece.com 'rules for posting'.

Did you also know though that as soon as this offensive post was submitted I locked the thread, explained to everyone here what I was going to do and why, and indeed proceeded to contact the MD of Beaumaris Band to apologise on behalf of theMouthPiece.com and to explain what I was intending to do about it.

I contacted the submitter of the post, asked for an explanation for his defamatory comments and was not happy with the response. I immediately banned that user from theMouthPiece.com and deleted the majority of his posts. I feel I took the correct immediate and responsible action.

The MD of Beaumaris was very happy that I had contacted him and said he was happy with what I had done and how I handled it, and that he would pass my message on to all members of his band.

There have been no other incidents such as that one and everyone here - all the members - are committed to building a friendly, informative and thought provocing Brass Discussion Forum - which is exactly the objective I set out to achieve.

John

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

And as far as I'm aware (I wasn't around for the "incident") you have completely attained your original objective. It is a nice friendly atmosphere with a very wide range of abilities and views, well done. :)

3. Nat

Nat Member

what justifies banning because i never knew this guy

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

didn't see the posts my self, but from what I read about them they were offensive to a band in north wales, and on numerous occaisions I think. I also think that people should realise that every action has consequences, so think about that before you take actions (obviously some people do, but it is only natural to guard what you pride).

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Nat & Neil...

What actually happened here was quite despicable. I deleted many of his/her posts at the time as they were tasteless and really offensive - but I left a few on line so people could see the direction this person was taking.

Comments were made not just about Beaumaris Band, but there were offensive sexist comments and filth. I had no regret banning this person. I believe most of the full sequence of events is in this thread.

I was so dissapointed to have to do this as I had done nothing to offend this person... it's not what I set up tMP for.

6. ali_rep@no

ali_rep@no New Member

good on yer! i saw some of what this person wrote and i thought it was disgusting.
    i think the decision you made was a gd one :D and i hope this kinda fing wont happen again.

7. Nat

Nat Member

Yes nice one john i used to go out with someone in a welsh band and i found that they are all one big family and you cant meet nicer people its disgusting that anyone would want to bad mouth them i understand your decision now :D

8. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

As he has been so personally offensive to one band in particular. Do they have any idea who he/she is? I think name and shame, as well as banning would be appropriate.
    Sud.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why are we still discussing this? The 'problem' was taken care of and there's been no trouble since.

Shouldn't his topic be closed now so we can concentrate on the better aspects of tMP?