Ouch!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Bit of a silly one - but yesterday, without even trying, I gave myself quite a deep bruise on my arm from knocking myself with my cornet at the end of rehearsal!

I've also managed to stick the metal 'pin' part of the trigger on the first valve slide into my thumb on another occasion....

Anyone else managed brass related mishaps?

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've smacked myself in the teeth a few times when switching from cornet to trumpet or flugel!

3. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

I've had several brass induced injuries.

I once tripped over an abandoned sop case and managed to give myself concussion in the process, i've chipped my tooth on my flugel and this maybe an indirect brass injury by blowing to hard and giving myself a nose bleed.
    but i doubt it's the instruments fault i'm just a clumsy mess!

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nothing too serious, fortunately, but I've frequently bruised my mouth when playing bass on the march, particularly on uneven roads - much easier with the saxophone ;)

5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not quite a generic banding injury, but only last year I heard a specific Cornish banding injury which involved a bite into a (proper) pasty and the hot gravy squirted onto the lip and up the nostril. Like a trooper he carried on regardless and played great despite a massive blister.

Quality. The pasty, that is ;)

Igg

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do this...:oops:

I suppose the best (or worst) for me was on tour with another band in France. They did a longish march with a lot of stops and starts. Unfortunately for me the person in front didn't get the hang of the idea of marching straight off on the two threes, which meant that I smacked into the back of her every time we started. After the about the fourth time - by now my gob was really starting to smart, and my patience had disappeared along with the feeling in my lip, I hit her so hard that I knocked her music out of her lyre. She bent down to pick it up, and turned round to apologise, but at that point I was ranting in my best Anglo-Saxon. What I said about her doesn't bear repeating, and the fact I indvertantly spouted it straight into her face from about six inches away probably ruined any chance of friendship. She never spoke to me again thoughout the whole tour - or since...:oops:

7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The worst one has got to be when some expletive decides to grab your
    slide and slam it all the way in when your playing.
    Last person to do that got a slap on the chops with a clenched fist :cool:

8. Di

Di Active Member

I should think there have been numerous incidents in trapping fingers when folding up music stands.

I do recall a player though who for some reason had a music stand in the bedroom with the head folded and down, he tripped and landed with the edge of his right on the stump. :eek: Very nasty. :(

9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Years ago I was at the old CISWO Contest at Blackpool and somehow managed to slice a large part of my thumb screwing the valve cap back on. Lots of blood and it really hurt.

10. Yes:( a bass player span round after marching with his bass strap on and the bell of the bass wacked me in the head, i ended up with a massive lump on my head and bruise!!! So painfull :(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    arm
    pin
    managed brass related mishaps
    occasion
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Oh, if we're talking about marching, Vicki and myself both ended up with bruised arms after Whits a couple of years ago thanks to a certain "bass drum" player who shall remain namless

* STEVE MARCH!!!!!! *
    :tongue:

PS: Love you really Steve, Whits just ain't the same without you. :(

13. on_castors

on_castors Member

Whacked myself in the mouth a few times, especially when playing BBflat Bass on a march, chips & cracks to prove it. Pity, my teeth are the only really good part of me!
    :-(

DEAFNESS is the only serious injury though, mainly left ear, similar to industrial deafness, (upper frequencies are especially gone) and put down to year of playing in small bandrooms, with percussion merely inches away from my left ear! A bit of tinnitus to go with it too (ringing in the ears).

Although I have no day to day problem hearing quiet-ish sounds, when other noise is present, such as traffic noise in the street, I can't make a thing out.

At the Midlands Areas earlier this year while watching other bands, it was interesting to see the sound measuring equipment which is installed in the Belvedere Club. It is designed to turn off the power to amplified equipment when it gets to damaging levels & was flinging wildly into the red during loud passages, but of course it doesn't limit acoustic instruments!

14. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Ditto!

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Not brass related as such, but I tripped over a wire during a schools concert in the Barbican this afternoon and caused all the lit stands to blow a fuse!

Oh, and I too have permanent hearing loss due to being too close to a bass drum in The Rite of Spring. Eh, what did you say.....

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

On many occasions I have had my bass slip off the chair and the mouthpiece do ts best to move my teeth back several inches!

17. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I've been deaf in my right ear since birth but my left one compensates most of the time, but like someone said above, if there's lots of background noise like traffic or people talking, i can't make out what the person next to me's saying, especially if they're stood on my right!
    I've developed ways of dealing with it over the years like when I'm walking with someone I'll always stand on their right or I'll choose a seat at a table where I'll be able to hear everyone lol
    My consultant says I'm not to spend more than a couple of hours in a noisy environment at any one time otherwise it could make my left ear go bad, so I hate it when the other horns sit on my left and we're playing a particularly loud piece; there's no point talking to me for at least ten mins afterwards as I'll just keep saying "what?" lol
    Other band injuries, errr got one yesterday when trying to reach a case out of a pile of cases next to some bushes and got a rather nasty reaction to some nettles - funny thing was it didn't hurt at first, but a couple of hours later it had swollen up like a balloon! lol
    Various tooth chips too! :)

18. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Not exactly brass related but sort of... When I was a kid I got stung by a bee on my 3rd valve finger, pulled the sting out and thought it was fine though it hurt quite a bit! A couple of days later I was at band practice and my finger started swelling like a balloon. Went to the local cottage hospital, turned out there was still some of the sting left in my finger and using it to push the valve had aggravated it. Nurse dug it out with a needle and it was fine after that!!!

19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

i swung round with my trumpet once and nearly knocked out my front teeth when it hit a piano!

forgot about that until i read the marching incidents!

20. Owen S

Owen S Member

One of the pictures on our bandhall wall is a cartoon made after Hanworth Carnival (I think) 15 years ago when one of the basses at the time walked over an open manhole.

Ouch.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Some years ago i put my Baritone down on the floor went into kitchen came out and tripped over it:oops: ;this resulted in the mouthpiece part coming away from the valve block(Original Sov Baritone) and going for repair but while i was there i asked about how much the new Baritones were and said id got one to part exchange they gave me MORE than id paid for it some 5 years ago so i ended up with a BRAND NEW Baritone.:p
    It was well worth tripping over my Baritone:biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    arm
    pin
    managed brass related mishaps
    occasion