Otley Brass Band World Premiere

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by stuartw, Jun 3, 2007.

1. stuartw

stuartw Member

Otley Brass Band in World Premiere

Otley Brass Band are to perform the world premiere of a new cornet solo at their concert in Ilkley Parish church on Saturday 9th of June. The new piece- 'Chevin Chase, Rhapsody for Cornet and Brass Band' has been written by David Lancaster, the award winning composer and MD of nearby Harrogate Band.

When Otley band discussed commissioning its own piece of music we instantly thought of something that would feature our principal cornet player Malcolm Sexton. Malcolm is an amazingly talented musician who is a constant inspiration to all players in the band and we were delighted that we could celebrate his talents with this new commission. We managed to keep the whole project secret from Malcolm until the piece was ready so it certainly came as a surprise when we presented him with the solo part a few weeks ago!

The piece has lots in it for the band too as the composer, David Lancaster, explained: 'I wanted to provide music that the soloist and band would enjoy and which will hopefully form a part of the band's repertoire, rather than just a 'one-off' event, and it had to be suitable for the wide range of concerts and performances which Otley band undertakes throughout the year; on the other hand I needed to make a solo that was original and distinctive and naturally didn't want to compromise my own compositional style. Consequently the music is for the most part rhythmic and energetic, although the soloist does introduce some more lyrical moments.

The band have really enjoyed rehearsing the music and are confident that the audience will enjoy it too. As Otley Band's Musical Director Gordon Eddison commented "World Premieres are often very clich├ęd, this is different! Really good music, written well and played by a real artist, Malcolm Sexton is amazing, what a role model for all players"

Further Details are available from the band's web site
    http://www.otleybrassband.co.uk

Stuart